Sign in to follow this  
youngriles

People getting upset about lack of transfer activity...

Just had a rant about this on twitter, was kind of insensed by one particular person giving McNally flack (see McNally''s last tweet if interested).

Some people seem convinced we will be in a relegation dog fight next season without spending "big". I certainly do not feel we will be in any danger (the way our fixtures are I feel we will be down there to a point, but then will flourish and finish comfortably out of trouble over the course of the last 10 games).

I feel the bigger picture is being missed. Footballers peak at around 28 (in general) right? Look at our squad''s average age. I think last season we had THE youngest squad, and are therefore probably there or there abouts this season. Misters Bennett (x2), Ayala, Pilkington, Johnson, Howson, Surman, Smith, Vaughn The keepers, and even Russ, Tierney, Jackson are well below that age. Which means that they can all potentially be even better this season. Law of averages suggests that they will. This is science!

I do feel we could do with another striker and left back, but if that was all we were to add I would be more than happy to go with what we''ve got (sorry to coin that phrase, but I''m over it!). Although you can never be sure until the window passes, Hughton has done a massive thing in keeping the core of the squad together, and buy into the vision. The vision from what I understand is to form a group of special individuals with a point to prove and to grow together, develop an understanding.

People need to realise this club is still on an upward curve, and by god the future excites me! Over the top as it sounds, but in 20 years time, I feel like we could be talking about the "Hughton Years" with great pride. The club has always had an ethos of being a "footballing" club, and It is great that this is coming back after being on our knees. Our playing squad is being filled with so many admirable and easy to support individuals. Ok, there may be the odd individual who still puts hearts in mouths, but I don''t feel like any of the younger players aforementioned fit that bill.

I feel like my own attitude is changing towards things like misplaced passes, speculative shots, passing it sideways or backwards instead of forwards because I feel like many members of our playing squad are developing into fantastic players before our eyes (whereas previous squads over the last 10-15 years contained players that were a crock of sh*t), because it is all part of the bigger picture and part of their development.

Norwich City Football Club finished 12th last year in the Premier League and were only just finding their feet. We had a manager who experimented all season, and was never sure of his best eleven. Now see what happens now we have a manager coming in who is clearly going to build on this and take things forwards. I feel like all the good things about our club are going to be embellished in the months to come.

Paul Lambert was a great man, and I''ve no doubt he will improve Villa''s fortunes (unfortunately). I do not begrudge him this, as I do not think it will have any impact on the Norwich City growth. Finally we have a canvas for ambitious individuals to grow, and we all need to remember the club will not be left behind. We will grow with the players. We have a self sufficient business model, a board that really gets the club and doesn''t view us as a play thing. How awesome is it to celebrate victory, and not expect it? How awesome is it to be gracious in defeat, because our players gave it their all. We really are a dying breed and a rareity of a club, and when it goes tits up for the football business model, it is us and a hanful of other clubs that will be laughing.

Enjoy the ride guys, and take the flack with a pinch of salt. We will be envied, we will break hearts and even be hated. "How do they do it? They''ve got a fat b*stard up front? They only pinch Leeds players anyway. They haven''t spent anything?"

I can''t wait!

There is around another six weeks left in this transfer window

Hughton will want to see the players in action over the next few friendlies before deciding who we need to bring in. I would have been more surprised if we had brought in all the transfers BEFORE these games. The other two (as with Snodgrass suggest they were on their way before Hughton arrived. i don''t doubt taht the club already has players lined up - the money CERTAINLY is there.

As to the whingers and whiners I suggest you pay little heed. They have little in the way of reasoned argument, merely snidey digs backed by lies.

It can''t be much fun watching our success, so maybe they should be allowed this sad parade of endless anquish

......... much as what is offered up at poorman road.

Haven''t we proven already we don''t need to spend big to stay up? OK maybe we need 1 or 2 new defenders but the squad we''ve got now is good enough. If we get new players great, if we don''t than no worries.

That''s more like it, I''ve now got a warm and fuzzy feeling about next season having read such a positive post, and have to say I agree with most of it. BUT, I wouldnt say no to just two or three further additions to our squad to make it even stronger, and I really believe CH will be doing just that, may even spend a bit of money doing, although cash is clearly still limited.

I love the way things have been the last few years, and are continuing to be. Our board have installed an admirable philosophy, that I for one feel really passionate about. They pick the manager, they sanction the signings. People need to realise that in business, the big wigs plan a direction they want to go, and employ the staff to implement it.

Come on, admit it, everyone has caught antiques roadshow on a sunday night and got that warm fuzzy feeling when an old lady picked up a jug for a quid from a charity shop and it is actually worth £10k!!

Isn''t our playing squad a bit like that?! Everytime Fox pings a 50 yard pass from left to right i think "and he only cost like £25k!".

I like that we take a chance on unproven talent and rough diamonds. The day we start getting "proven premier league talent" who don''t get this club, and don''t get what it means to us all is the day we''ll rue.

Vegetables always taste better when you grow them yourself!