Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

The Norwich City Premier League Project

I''ve heard the term used a couple of times in the last few days; including by Chris Hughton during his introductory press conference. I like it as in my view it encapsulates what the club have been about for the last three years - a planned, organized and generally rational and professional approach to the business of improving the performance of our football team over time whilst stabilizing the finances.

A project by definition has many aspects but ultimately it has an end point. Our current project end point will come I reckon when we have established ourselves as a stable premier league club competitive in the upper regions of that league. It will then be time to dream of the next stage and mount a new project with new aspirations and higher targets.

Organizational management. Project methodology. Vision, Mission, Targets, Objectives, Key Performance Indicators and Benchmarking. Oh how it works with the right people in place. Firstly BowkettMcNallyLambertCulverhouse and now BowkettMcNallyHughtonCulverhouse(hopefully).

Good work thus far NCFC Board. Now on with the project..............[:D]

OTBC 

P.S. What is the position with our 7 year plan? I know that the club exceeded all the original targets. Is it a rolling 7 year plan with annual reviews and updates? Just don''t seem to have heard much about it since it was originally unveiled. Anybody?

I think that both the seven year plan and ''the project'' were complete by PL in his three years with all objectives completed successfully. Now there will be a new project started by CH which will build on the success of the previous project.

Simple eh?

[quote user="spudgfsh"]I think that both the seven year plan and ''the project'' were complete by PL in his three years with all objectives completed successfully. Now there will be a new project started by CH which will build on the success of the previous project. Simple eh?[/quote]

Well, simple is as simple does...........one suspects.

OTBC

I have a feeling the seven year plan is still in place, and is acting as somewhat of an anchor to our ambitions (I mean that in a good way). For instance, in seven years time they wanted us to be wherever, let''s say a team who were just about established in the premiership.

Rather than get carried away with dreams of Europe etc. I expect that the seven year plan is still in place - in that in another four years we will still want to be at that final goal. Anything else is a bonus, even if "anything else" might be attainable because of the extra income we get that we hadn''t budgeted for in the seven year plan.

Either way, I very much agree that the plan and the ''Lambert project'' shows organisation, planning and strategy that was either missing or was not stuck to pre-Lambert/McNally/Bowkett.

i would think that the next stage of this project is to expand the stadium to allow as many fans that want to be able to watch us, can do.

To turn people''s money away is an unacceptable situation but clearly in order to do that we would ceratinly need to stay in the Premiership next season and beyond.

.....lets just hope that the season this happens we don''t do a Wolves and get relegated after it!!

This is the catch22 though. New stands don''t grow on trees and ripen to be picked when we''ve had two or three seasons in the premier league. They have to be paid for. And if the money goes on the stand then it can''t go on the team. And as soon as the team suffers the fans no longer care about the stand.

The most important part is to get the results on the pitch. If we stay in te Prem, the money should allow us to develop other important parts of the club which can help to support the manager and the team. I guess that is why it should be seen as a project with lots of parts all contributing to having an established team playing good football in the Prem. getting the balance right is going to be difficult and unless we have a major injection of capital it will take several years. With (relatively) limited funds, the club cannot afford to take big risks - either on players or on major infrastructure investment. We also have the planned investment into the Academy which is gonna be a considerable sum. The new manager seems to get this from what I have heard from him so far. But its always the long term people the fans and Board that have to live with the consequences of the actionsI expect that the Board would be regularly updating the Business Plan (as anyone would do) and adjusting according to where we are and the future opportunities and threats. When we have paid off the hard debts by the end of the 2012/13 season, its going to be a very tricky decision - when and how much to take on another slab of debt to increase the capacity, which will have consequences for the rest of the club''s business. Treating all this as a Project to be developed over years sounds right to me. We fans can get impatient sometimes, but I hope we can take the longer view.

Thanks NuttyThere was a lot of talk by McNally and Hughton emphasising moving the club forward generally. I hope that''s a sign of a plan to make the club properly stable and moving forward with some joined up thinking about all the parts having to add up to a successful club. Heard similar things before - lets hope that Project NCFC works this time. We need long term thinking to ensure what we do is sustainable. The Academy will be important. Added capacity is also important but the timing is critical as theinvestment cost would be considerable. However, all of that needs to support - and not distract from - getting the right results out on the pitch. Difficult - and as I said, it may take time................away!!

Perhaps SDP or an Archant reporter could seek from the club hierarchy an update on their medium/long term planning on behalf of the shareholders and supporters.

The original 7 year plan was revealed, so I see little reason why its successor (The Norwich City Premier League Project - Our NCFC Project?) should not be shared..........

Pete?

OTBC

The project is the project.   They have discovered that having a seven year plan doesn''t work.  It failed, badly.  We did it in three.   So the project is the project with I suspect no time barriers.   It will take as long as it takes.

[quote user="Captain Haddocks Fish Supper"]

The project is the project.   They have discovered that having a seven year plan doesn''t work.  It failed, badly.  We did it in three.   So the project is the project with I suspect no time barriers.   It will take as long as it takes.

[/quote]

oo aa?

OTBC