Sign in to follow this  
NWC

1-3-2-4 Formation?

When all fit, I would like to see how Butterfield, Howson and Wes play together behind a single striker with 2 midfield enforcers in front of a back 4.They should be clever enough to pass the ball, keep posession and make intelligent runs through on goal.However it might be a little too gung ho and maybe one will be sacrificed for a more conservative and defensive formation.

We have some really good options in Midfield now with Pilkington, Bennett, Surman, Fox & Johnson to add in to that mix, very offensive. Korey, Lappin and Crofts too, although I''d expect Crofts to move on. Wonder if Korey might get an opportunity at some stage this season, can''t see why he or the club would agree to another year just to farm him out on loan. Whittaker can also play pretty much anywhere in midfield.

Personally if we were to play that formation id like to see 2 wingers in it playing as wing forwards.

---------------------Ruddy

Whittaker--Bennet--Ayala--Tierney

------------Howson--Johnson

Bennet---Wes or Butterfield---Pilks

------------------Holt/Vaughan

I personally think playing Wes, Butterfield and Howson as a 3 behind the striker would leave us a bit narrow. None of them offer much pace or width which, in their usual roles, isnt required, but could leave us a bit vulnerable.

When looking at it like above it does seem that Butterfield has maybe been brought in to become Wes'' long term successor. Anyone else think this too?

Personally I reckon 1 at the back is madness.  Now if you were to swap it round so it was a 4-2-3-1 then yes I agree and it''s the formation we used during pre-season and at the start of the season against better teams.Howson and Johnson as the centre two with Wes, Bennett and Pilks in front is a pretty good mix.The only problem is that it means people will get on Morisons back again, because they are so effing thick they can''t grasp that a single strikers role is to move around and play the attacking midfielders in, not sit up front and wait for hoofball to reach them.

[quote user="kellybrook"]Personally I reckon 1 at the back is madness.  Now if you were to swap it round so it was a 4-2-3-1 then yes I agree and it''s the formation we used during pre-season and at the start of the season against better teams.[/quote]Nice attempt at sarcasm, but even though I agree the OP probably did mean 4-2-3-1, we could easily play an actual 1-3-2-4, with the 1 being the sweeper behind 3 defenders, 2 central midfielders, 2 wing forwards and 2 strikers which makes a 1-3-2-4 and a very attack minded formation.In essence:Ruddy - GKAyala - SweeperWhittaker - Left sided CBBennett - Central CBR.Martin - Right sided CBHowson - Centre MidButterfield - Centre MidPilks - LW ForwardE.Bennett - RW ForwardHolt - StrikerMorison - StrikerSimples...