Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

John Terry = s**t

[quote user="Aggy"]If we''re limiting "world class" to being as good as Pele and Maradonna, then we''re struggling for much more of a list. Only two players ever who have been world class?

Messi''s goalscoring record for Argentina = 1 goal every 3.1 games.

Ronaldo''s goalscoring record for Portugal = 1 goal every 2.75 games.

Rooney''s record for England = 1 goal every 2.6 games.

I''d say that, for their countries, each of those players is playing with a similar calibre of player alongside them, and Rooney''s record is the best.

At club level, Messi''s records are far superior to Rooney''s, but Ronaldo''s are only marginally better in terms of goals per game. And if you look at European competitions (big games?), Ronaldo and Rooney are virtually identical. Even this season, Messi has scored every 0.8 games, Ronaldo every 0.9 games, Rooney every 1.2 games.

Undoubtedly Ronaldo and Messi are more than world class, they''re bordering on the legendary already. But to be fair to Rooney, he isn''t playing alongside Xavi, Iniesta, Alves and Villa, nor is he playing alongside Xabi Alonso, Ozil, Kaka and Di Maria. He''s playing alongside an aging Ggigs and Scholes, Carrick, Valencia and Nani. Not in the same league as the Madrid and barca teammates, but his scoring record is not a million miles behind.

Of course it all depends on where you draw the line at "world class". How many players at any one time can be world class? Two? Or maybe 10? Rooney is up there in the top 5 or 6 for me, and his stats will probably agree. That, for me, is world class. He isn''t legendary like Messi and Ronaldo will be when they retire, but at the moment it''s very harsh not to call him world class![/quote]

exactly!! Too many people are deemed world class and it is a limited catergory in any sport, Rooney imo is a great British player, probably the last World class player we had in Britain was Georgie Best, How much do you think we would miss Rooney if he missed the Euros, nobody has answered imo it would not make any difference to where we finish, i expect qtr/semi at most with or without Rooney, but add Messi to England squad....

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="Aggy"]If we''re limiting "world class" to being as good as Pele and Maradonna, then we''re struggling for much more of a list. Only two players ever who have been world class? Messi''s goalscoring record for Argentina = 1 goal every 3.1 games. Ronaldo''s goalscoring record for Portugal = 1 goal every 2.75 games. Rooney''s record for England = 1 goal every 2.6 games. I''d say that, for their countries, each of those players is playing with a similar calibre of player alongside them, and Rooney''s record is the best. At club level, Messi''s records are far superior to Rooney''s, but Ronaldo''s are only marginally better in terms of goals per game. . That, for me, is world class. He isn''t legendary like Messi and Ronaldo will be when they retire, but at the moment it''s very harsh not to call him world class![/quote] exactly!! Too many people are deemed world class and it is a limited catergory in any sport, Rooney imo is a great British player, probably the last World class player we had in Britain was Georgie Best, How much do you think we would miss Rooney if he missed the Euros, nobody has answered imo it would not make any difference to where we finish, i expect qtr/semi at most with or without Rooney, but add Messi to England squad....[/quote]

I can see the headline now......

"ENGLAND SQUAD MESSY"

Yes, I think they probably will be.

broadslim, he is a forward who drops off a lot. And both Messi and Ronaldo play more often than not as second forwards nowadays rather than wingers. Messi especially.