Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Canaries 3rd in league of incorrect decisions

Came across an interesting article in the Daily Telegraph this morning showing how teams have fared with regard to incorrect refereeing decisions. Man U are top and, the article claims, they would have won the title already by now if these decisions had been called correctly. Liverpool are 2nd, but Norwich are 3rd. According to the article of 55 key decisions made this season 23 were incorrect, with 12 going against us. That means the other 11 were actually in our favour, so overall our points tally and position apparently hasn''t suffered like Man U''s. At the bottom Bolton would already have been relegated along with Wolves and Blackburn. Makes interesting reading.

Take a look at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/9258810/Manchester-United-have-cause-for-complaint-as-unique-survey-highlights-Premier-League-errors.html

Interestingly though we would be absolutely no better off. Still on 44 points. Safely in mid table.

Yeah, it seems that for us the decisions did even out in the end. But not for everyone. It''s a bit scary though isn''t it? Just shows how our fate next year as a team looking to survive again could depend on the few points either way that come from incorrect refereeing decisions.

The other issue I would have with this table is that some people will look at an incident and say "stonewall penalty" while others will not be convinced. Only goalline decisions for me can be truly regarded as a matter of fact. Even offside is interpretation. With that Van Persie penalty appeal. Some people would say Gervinho went for the ball therefore must have been offside in the build up (my opinion) while others will say he didnt touch it, therefore he wasnt interfering.   

Luck isn''t just about refering decisions either. Playing Newcastle when they have no fit centre backs has to be regarded as a bit fortunate. While others had to play against their best pairing of Coloccini and Taylor at the start of the season. You absolutely spot on the margins in this league are very fine and I accept that perhaps if Barton hadn''t walked at QPR our season may have panned out differently after that. But I still think you''ve got 38 games to get it right and your quality will hopefully win out in the end. If you are good enough.

What?  Newcastle did have fit centre backs.  How many defensive injuries have we suffered this season?  Therefore every team who has played us has been a bit fortunate.

You can''t analyse everything like that.  Just one example, we played Spurs at home when they were bang on form, they went to Swansea in their next game and weren''t half the side that had played us.

They didn''t. Danny Simpson is not a centre back. Thats like asking Adam Drury to do a turn at centre half for us. I agree entirely though that you can''t analyse everything like that. Thats why I said at the end ultimately over 38 games the table doesnt lie.

[quote user="Jacko"]They didn''t. Danny Simpson is not a centre back. Thats like asking Adam Drury to do a turn at centre half for us. I agree entirely though that you can''t analyse everything like that. Thats why I said at the end ultimately over 38 games the table doesnt lie. [/quote]

Or maybe like having to ask another of our full-backs to do a turn at centre-half for us ?  Oh, wait...

I agree that over 38 games the table doesn''t lie, but the fact is that all teams have their ups and downs in form over the season.  We played Sunderland at home when they were in relegation form, then we went to the Stadium of light when they were playing superbly.  Again, it evens out over the season, mostly.

The interesting thing for me about this table is that (if you accept it - I''m sure all of us would sit down and review those decisions and come to different views on some of them) the decisions that went against ManU cost them points, whereas the decisions against us didn''t, ditto for ManC.  And in a year when the Prem title could be decided by goal difference, that may be a crucial difference.  But then any difference would be.  E.g. Ferguson was pointing to the 3 late goals they conceded to ManC when they got thrashed, which account for 6 of the goal difference between them, and means that ManU have no real chance of winning the title by scoring lots of goals in their last game.

I expected someone to come back with the point about Russell Martin. To be fair I think there is a big difference even then. Russ actually had played a fair bit there for both Wycombe and Peterborough. Lambert knew it was a legitimate option to play him there. In fact I think there was a game against Sheffield United at home last year where we started with Russell Martin and the admiral at centre half and Askou was played at left back. So he often been a preferred option there. In comparison Simpson had no experience of playing there. Rather like Drury whose only outing there for Norwich was out of sheer desperation from Roeder who had no one else.

But I think this is somewhat getting away from the point regardless of whether you think I am right or wrong. I was merely using the Newcastle game where they were a little depleted as an example of showing that there are so many variables in a season that you cant just blame bad refereeing, injuries or suspensions. Yes Man Utd lost goals by flooding forward, but as you have said any difference can be crucial. Man City poured forward against Sunderland and got caught by Ji Don Wong for the winner back in January. Over 38 games you will usually end up where you deserve to be. In our case that has been comfortably safe in the Championship.

Have always wanted to see this stat, but not sure how believable they are, the for and against column is quite illuminating though, stoke have so many more decisions go for them than against, does anyone wonder if their home atmosphere plays a part in this?

I don''t want goal line technology or officials to be perfect, eliminating mistakes. Football would become too boring to talk about.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Have always wanted to see this stat, but not sure how believable they are, the for and against column is quite illuminating though, stoke have so many more decisions go for them than against, does anyone wonder if their home atmosphere plays a part in this?[/quote]

Yes I noticed that. I seem to recall a certain throw in which resulted in a goal when I was there for our game. There''s 3 points their way for a start. They''ve certainly got a partisan crowd. Can''t imagine why though as it was dire football on the day.

[quote user="Jacko"]

Premiership. Monumental fail. [/quote]

!  Still getting used to being in the Prem myself.

Now how about a league for managerial whinging about how hard done by they are?  Colin Warnock would have walked that in the Championship and Wenger seems streets ahead in the Prem.  But Pardew whinging about his CB problems before our game really irritated me given that they''d had an unchanged back 4 for the opening 12 games or something.  We''ve probably had a couple of CBs out with injury almost all season but I''ve never heard Lambert use it as an excuse.  Come to think of it, has he ever come up with an excuse to justify a poor performance ?

I wouldn''t read too much into that article to be honest, as a lot of it doesn''t really stack up.Not to mention the fact that proportionally, Man Utd were actually 5th not first in the rankings (although they had more total incorrect decisions).