Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

How will the satisticians work that one out??

[quote user="Shack Attack"]The ''assist'' is from Jackson. But in all honesty there is no such thing as an assist in football. It is a ridiculous notion. [/quote]

If we''re being technical then yes Jackson passed the ball to Holt, but I can see what the OP means, Not many strikers have the awareness to do what Holt did today...

hear hearpile of nonsensical bollox, which this highlights

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "] Not many strikers have the awareness to do what Holt did today...[/quote]Really? It''s a great goal but you''re over egging the pudding slightly there I feel.

Agree - most strikers would have shot first time.  Keeper may save, may not.  Great goal by a player we should really appreciate while we have him. 

I''m a big statistics nut but as mentioned above, an ''assist'' is too vague & open to interpretation.

Also, it relies on who you''re ''assisting'', you could create a hatful of great scoring opportunities & not register one ''assist''.

I always thought for an assist the scorer had to hit the ball first time from the assisting ball? i.e. a goal scored from a header/volley from a cross/pass would be credited as an assist to the player passing the ball where as if the scorer took a couple of touches to control the ball/make room no assist would be given as the striker still had work to do?

I may have completely made that up though! :S