Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

Andy Townsend

Does the guy have a problem with Norwich? Seeing as he had some good seasons with us and (I thought) was pretty poplular with the fans, why can he never bring himself to say or do anything good about the club?

Last night the commentator started talking about the Norwich side who beat Bayern back in 93- the perfect opening for Andy and the commentator even paused expecting him as an ex-Norwich player to say something. Silence. Then a comment about how Chelsea needed to be on guard. I also seem to recall that he failed to turn up when invited to the centenary reunion, and I also remember him as a pundit on a live game when he just belittled the club and said we were rubbish.

Nasty piece of work, chip on the shoulder or am I too sensitive?

I thought exactly the same, after he left Carrow Road he was booed upon his return because he said some bad things about the club & left on fairly unpleasant terms. When he was at Chelsea he scored at the Barclay End and then made rude gestures to the Barclay. He came across as totally bitter on the commentary last night & totally blanked the comments being made about the Norwich side of that era, he was probably fed up that he left & missed out on all the glory.

I''ve also got the impression over the years that he has some "issues" about his Norwich years. Not sure why he should have such a chip on his shoulder but most players would be proud of their past, especially since he had some fine years with Norwich. Maybe we are not worthy to have witnessed his greatness at carrow road?

At least we keep our record at Munich, I did cheer when Bayern equalised.

I may be wrong but wasn''t it only one season before the two Andy''s Townsend and Linighan left for capital glory, missing out on becoming true legends.

Is Andy Townsend really a creditable pundit ?

I noticed that as well.

It''s a shame, but he had ample opportunity to say something, and I think his co-presenter was trying to lead him into saying something, but he patently did not want to.

It''s a pity, as he seems to be in the same mould as Tim Sherwood, etc, who soon forget who paid thier wages once upon a time.

the guy is a total jerk. no matter what might have happened to sour relations between townsend and the club,it seems very strange that he can''t bring himself to say just a few words about city when invited do so by a fellow commentator. anyway, he''s a 3rd rate commentator/expert analyser, and lucky to still have a job with itv.

Glad some others feel the way I do. Since many on this Board seem to have contacts or inside knowledge it would be very interesting to find out why he got so bitter. And as an "expert" summariser he does possess no insight whatsoever, continually stating the bleeding obvious. Hansen, Lawrenson, Gray etc  all at least have something interesting to say most of the time.

I couldn''t believe how much Andy Townsend kept praising Chelsea when for the whole game they were pinned in their own penalty area!

Bayern must have had 30 shots of goal to Chelsea''s 3. If I were a Chelsea fan, I would be worried by that performance. Even Birmingham outplayed them last Saturday.

I even remember Jose Moriniho saying Norwich should have been 3-0 up at half time when we last played them!

They''re not that special. Drogba was aweful and VERY over-rated.

He turned down his invitation to the Legends dinner too a couple of years ago saying he had other commitments.

Thats the height of bad manners when the fans who helped pay his wages voted for him.

Townsend is an egotistical, self admirer, who really loves the sound of his overused larynx!  He thinks he''s a "Top pundit" but can''t distinguish the difference between a good tackle or fishing tackle!

Considering that he once represented NCFC, he certainly has an issue about this club. He had the opportunity to ''comment'' when the commentator fed him a leading question last night, but he avoided it like some  politician! (maybe he was embarrassed about once playing for us)! I think the commentator should have worded it: "Didn''t you used to play for Norwich Andy, before you skipped off to Chelsea"?

How he actually became a pundit is beyond me?

I dislike the chap immensely, and I was chuffed when BBC & MOTD retained the Premiership, and that he had to then lower himself to report on the Championship! OTBC ;~)