Sign in to follow this  
Hugh J Wurzell

Strewth! There's a bloke down there with no strides on

That''s the fella! One of their greatest ever players according to Wikipedia! Scored his lat goal for the club in the white tights game. Another one from.the fading memory banks. We got sent down by losing to a Leicester team who were already relegated. A ginger scored their goals. Who was he?

[quote user="Hugh J Wurzell"]That''s the fella! One of their greatest ever players according to Wikipedia! Scored his lat goal for the club in the white tights game. Another one from.the fading memory banks. We got sent down by losing to a Leicester team who were already relegated. A ginger scored their goals. Who was he?[/quote]Melrose

Thanks for reminding me of that. That relegation game was the first, of only 2 occasions when I have cried at a City game (Milk Cup Final being the other)!

Weller and his tights taunted us in an FA Cup 3rd round game at Filbert Street on Jan 6th 1979.

Only a few games were played because of bad weather-this one survived because they were one of the few clubs then to protect their pitch from the elements-as I recall they had a inflatable tent that went over the playing surface-even so, it was cold and a blit icy, Weller wore the tights-to much ridicule-and had the last laugh as they beat us 3-0, he scored, also May and Henderson. It was on MOTD because it was the best of what was left to televise!

Martin Chivers played for us and was promptly transfer listed afterwards!

The league game they sent us down in was on May 2nd 1981-Jim Melrose hat-trick, McGuire and Fash for us. Had we won, Brighton would have gone down instead of us.