Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

The Transfer Window

It''s best not to get too carried away. PL has already said that there are are few further gems to be unearthed in the lower divisions.

"Gem" here means a player with potential not widely recognised. Potential means gifted, quick to learn and preferablywith pace. If others have been sniffing around, they have probably discovered that the player''s club has already realised the worth, have signed a long-term contract and are waiting for a bidding war or high transfer fee. You can''t criticise them for this. We will be the same, I hope, when "big" clubs come sniffing around.

Other clubs will hold out for large transfer fees, especially if they have promotion hopes and because they would have to find a replacement when still other clubs are holding out for high fees.

PL has signed some players undervalued at their former club - Fox and Martin R come quickly to mind. Otherwise he has had to pay good money, - Pilington, Vaughan, Bennett, Jackson, or sign some at the end of contract - Johnson.

"Gems" would also include "relatively inexpensive". So far he has spotted unappreciated players and, once in Premiership, players willing to move to get Premiership appearances on a regular basis. Our transfer budget is probably not large - £3m or so, perhaps, so his task is huge, - to find talent which can be nutured quickly, and talent that few others have noticed. PL has signed good players in the January window, but they have been mostly players already with us on loan. Sadly, it now seems that Naughton will not be one of these, and de Laet seems to be disappointing.

I would like us to sign one or two very good players, match-winners with pace and skill, but sadly I think that this will not happen in January. I  hope that he is able to sign one or two players,as we are short of cover in some areas, especially strikers and central midfielders.

I''m looking forward to the return of James Vaughan, if he can keep himself fit it will be a like a new signing.

Lambert stated in summer he was holding back some money for january. The fact we are doing better than expected perhaps may deter him panic buying, but I''d imagine that he''s got people in mind and will make moves in january.

From Lamberts words he is looking to bring in players that can slot straight in to the team if only to give others a rest. That is not any easy task to find players that cam make the step up almost instantly.As with James Vaughan it is heartening to see both Drury and Lappin back in the team and looking capable of doing the job - something I will admit I thought they would not be up to. The thing is do we look for a couple of decent players who will act as back up to sustain our good start but might not be long term squad members or younger players who will look to develop over a longer time and are future prospects ?

from City1st...

"From Lamberts words he is looking to bring in players that can slot straight in to the team if only to give others a rest. That is not any easy task to find players that cam make the step up almost instantly."

I guess the easiest way to find those players is to look at the Championship for players with prem experience who are down there but are good enough. It''s a shame West Ham are looking likely to go up as they''d have been prime, a few may have wages as an issue though.

I''m thinking people like Ambrose, Ridgewell, Noble, Tomkins, Kitson, Colison Lawrence, Carr, Curtis Davies etc. Not saying we should sign all of those but I reckon they''re the most realistic types of people.

I think we have slightly more to spend this month than we did in the summer. I think the club are smart and know January prices can become inflated therefore they would prepare for that knowing that any signing we make this month could be crucial in our efforts to stay in the Premier League.

Lambert isn''t going to be forced into any over the top transfer fees. I think he won''t be devastated if he signs no one. He may be disappointed he couldn''t buy Naughton, as another loan signing might have been a more realistic option for the January transfer window, but that now either means sending De Laet back or buying him (if he''s just going to be injured all the time, might as well cancel his loan, if thats even an option).

I think we''ll sign a player or two this transfer window. No idea who though, Snodgrass would be great, but might be too expensive, and injury could put the club off a little, unless we wait until the end of Jan, when he will be getting over it. But If Lambert doesn''t have any of these lower league gems in mind, it is going to be the ''bigger'' names like Snodgrass and Whittingham he will have to go after, and they are more likely to cost more.

Andrew Johnson?

Would probably cost about £2 million, 1.5 million bid rejected from QPR. Wages might be a bit expensive, attitude may also be wrong. But I reckon he could do a decent job for us.