Sign in to follow this  
BarclayWazza

Elite Player Performance Plan

Just wondered how everyone thinks this would affect us. Obviously it stinks that the Premier League is holding the league clubs to ransom and overall I think it''s bad for football but could definately be of benefit to us.

Since the 90 minute rule was brought in, we haven''t really produced players throught the youth system like we used to, as 90 minutes from Carrow Road doesn''t really take you to many people whereas bigger clubs have been paying families to move closer to them.

Would we look to become a Category 1 club straight away or wait until we''re established as a Premier League side?

I am quite shocked that this is the first comment on this thread. In February when this was proposed by Scudamore plenty on here were spitting feathers. I assume that it is not headlines in the pink un and on here simply because people now see us as a club that will benefit from this - but I am not sure that it will ? Supporters feel so strongly about this that football league club fans are trying to boycott the first 5 minutes of games on Saturday.

The proposals were that a 4 catergory academy system would need to be set up. FL clubs were told that if they did not vote for it funding from the PL would be with held. If we are to become a category 1 academy we must budget a minimum of £2.3m per year. A category 2 will need investment close on £1m and indoor facilities. Both these categories can sign kids at 9 and most ( at least when they are 12 ) will need to be residential. These kids will have agents. Category 3 will allow children to be only taken on at 12 and category 4 ( a good idea ) is for kids released at 16 +.

So as we are a PL league club will it really benefit us ? What if we are relegated ? the club seem to raise funds at the moment and not use theirs. If we find an exceptional talent say in Hull I assume other clubs will find him then or in the future is he really going to sign for us rather than Man U Chelsea Arsenal ect ? Are we really going to be prepared to pay wages to 9 year olds ? Is it fair that PL clubs can simply sign players from other clubs for next to nothing ? I can only assume that some of our players Declan Rudd / Jedd Steer / Korey Smith / Chris Martin ( before he was / is 22 ) are now worth an absoloute maximum of £131000. I beleive in Rudds case his value would be about £50000. I also worry that this will be the end of NCFC developing any local talent as there will be no need ? As we are trying to change the system to a foreign system why are we not also changing age qualifications ? Kids born in the summer were always at a disadvantage and were developed by the smaller clubs if those clubs pull their academies / COE''s summer kids will have even less chance.

I can''t see where this benefits us at all. But it seems to be agreed and happening. Being able to bring players through, benefit from them and then sell them has always been the way for all but the biggest clubs in the land. We did this with the likes of Chris Sutton and Craig Bellamy. If I''m understanding this correctly another club could sign someone like Bellamy for a song if they could "turn his head" while he was an academy player with us.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I can''t see where this benefits us at all. But it seems to be agreed and happening. Being able to bring players through, benefit from them and then sell them has always been the way for all but the biggest clubs in the land. We did this with the likes of Chris Sutton and Craig Bellamy. If I''m understanding this correctly another club could sign someone like Bellamy for a song if they could "turn his head" while he was an academy player with us.

[/quote]

This article sums up the payment agreements

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15381652.stm

As I understand it Walcot and Bale would have had to be sold for next to nothing. The likes of Crewe and Southampton you would suspect would not have been able to sustain category 2 one suspects especially when they had financial problems. 

I understand what is trying to be done here ie a Barcelona type academy but are the premier league really the best custodians in developing talent ? In my view it will not be the same in the UK. No other country has the same amount of professional clubs for starters. I just see our best kids being left to rot in a premiership club. There will enevitably be players that would get into league 1 / 2 clubs but told they are not good enough.

Because of how our club is located I fear for our local talent, why will we want to develop a local kid unless he is really at that time the best in the country that we could sign ? And where we do have the best surely they will make their way the short journey down to London. Agents must be rubbing their hands in glee. At least our kids at present have extra options such as Cambridge Ipswich Lowestoft ? and Histon. What if these were to close ?

Just as a footnote there are quite a few articles stating the Football league are like turkeys voting for Christmas. Every club article I have seen on the subject claims to be one of the 22 that voted against. 

One one side I agree it could benefit City to widen the net for talent goalies aside we have not produced like we used to.

However lets see what will really happen.

Man City/etc will have a massive scheme and as soon as we get one diamond he will be off to be banked in their academy.

The benefit to us will be nicking the slightly older kids just before they can be nicked by anyone else.

Also I am against anything that is just going to import a load of foreign kids also which is also most likely to happen.

The best thing for the national team would be a quota system min 5+ english players in a team, it wont happen but that would give the england manager x more number of regular playing guys to choose from.

Just look at City we have british players and a few games into the season those guys are playing for National teams and doing well. Bradley Johnson for england....NO WAY but then you see him doing the job against the big teams....Maybe?

The only thing I agree with it the standardisation of fees for example Norwich need a striker they want an English one and want to buy Nicky Maynard from Bristol City. Its better for England to have Nicky Maynard playing in the premier league but Bristol city want 8 million for him which is stupid and is going to mean another season in division 1 for him. So with a new tribunal system a third party will value the player at a fee that is reasonable for example 4 million (only during close season) and based on the player playing x number of first team games to prevent teams from just buying players to sit in the reserves.

Even something like that would not be popular but it would get English players moving up the ladder faster and possibly stop the middle and bottom teams in the premier league being filled with cheap foreigners.

Agree with that From. The one positive I see is that there will be more talented British kids discarded from other clubs when they bring in foreign kids at a later age. We already took advantage of this with the likes of  Korey Smith and George Francomb. Our greatest local hope for sometime is Tom Adeyemi and I wonder if he''d still be here under the new rules?

With regards to Maynard, i prefer it like it is. What right to we really have to take him from bristol city for less than they want? He''s signed into a contract and unless the club see otherwise (big enough offer) he should stick by it. Maybe in his case, the contract will be performance based and also have minimum fee releases in and conditions if the club don''t get promoted/ get relegated. Therefore, he''d probably sacrifice a couple of grand a week, but he''d have assurances that if he got ''too big'' for the club and wanted to move, a minimum fee would be there so he couldn''t be held to ransom.

To keep the level of competion up, we need clubs like bristol city to have their big paydays when they nurture a talent like his so well. why should he be sold for £4m if it is to the detriment of Bristol City.

Imagine if we''d not gone up and suddenly QPR wanted Grant Holt, tribunal decides that because of his age, we must agree £1.5m for him, i bet people would be up in arms about this.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Agree with that From. The one positive I see is that there will be more talented British kids discarded from other clubs when they bring in foreign kids at a later age. We already took advantage of this with the likes of  Korey Smith and George Francomb. Our greatest local hope for sometime is Tom Adeyemi and I wonder if he''d still be here under the new rules?

[/quote]

How so Nutty? I thought Korey came through the satellite academy thingy in Hatfield? Not sure about Francomb though.

I know Norwich nicked Bellamy from Bristol City at the age of 16 - doubt we paid much/anything for that.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

How so Nutty? I thought Korey came through the satellite academy thingy in Hatfield? Not sure about Francomb though.

I know Norwich nicked Bellamy from Bristol City at the age of 16 - doubt we paid much/anything for that.

[/quote]

Beth, I believe Korey Smith was at Arsenal as a kid and George Francomb was at Spurs.

I agree with what you are saying.

But the EPPP is to get players for cheap from smaller teams under the guise of elite training. Holt for 1.5 million would have been a fair price and he would then be in the premier league and we would then go get the top striker in league one under the same rules.

The aim of the EPPP to ensure that when a smaller team gets a player of immense talent and or physical excellence he will be off in two seconds flat.

The borderline cases will remain with teams and maybe the odd good un will pull through, but someone with Darren Eadie pace or Joe Cole like skill will be plucked just in case and stored away.