Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Should lack of Premiership experience be a concern?

I love your optimism, Road to Nowhere, and obviously share your contempt for know-nothings like Quinn and Lawrenson. But, like a stopped clock or First Wiz, they can be right occasionally. 

Are you really happy with our first choice back five as it currently is?

Don''t get me wrong, I much prefer the young, hungry player route to the greedy has-been route. But, to use PL''s favourite phrase, I do think the ''current group needs a hand'' - and a bit of experience surely would help here.

The only place I would like some PL experience is in the center of defense. I don''t think Barnett''s or Ward''s is enough... But the rest is a load of crap...I think these guys want to give it their whole and I think there is enough quality...but a top midfielder would be a dream...

I think experience and knowledge of the league is vital, especially when a club faces a dog fight to stay in the league. We have an extremly young squad which is imo a positive but i think it will be important to have Prem experience both in midfield and defence.Matthew UpsonMarcus Hannamanand if possible Thomas Hitzlsperger although unlikelyHaving someone like Upson in the dressing room could be vital, been there done it etc.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]The only place I would like some PL experience is in the center of defense. I don''t think Barnett''s or Ward''s is enough... But the rest is a load of crap...I think these guys want to give it their whole and I think there is enough quality...but a top midfielder would be a dream...[/quote]I would agree that one place that there is always room for a bit of experience and "know-how" is central defence, although whether that experience has to have been gained in the Premier League is another argument. My main point, however, is that I don''t think our defence was as bad last season as people make out. Yes, I know we conceded 58 goals, but surely that was down to our style of play rather than any particular shortcomings in the defence. There were several occasions when we did have to defend a lead with backs to the wall, and came through ok (QPR? Portsmouth?). However when you have a classy midfield and a potent strikeforce, as we did last season, it makes sense to concentrate on those strengths rather than try to play defensively.