Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

I don't believe there is nothing else

I''m sorry but I find it very very hard to believe that Nige has nothing left to spend.  I know, I know, I didn''t even think we were going to sign Ashton and here''s me banging on about spending more!  But lets look at this logically.  We can''t have a one man team.  Deano on his own aint going to keep us up.  The management and players knew before we signed him the state of our injury crisis. Surely they wouldn''t spend the entire budget on one player?  Don''t get me wrong I''m over the moon with Deano.  It just seems a bit odd.

I''m sure there were other strikers Worthy could have bought for less than £3M.  Fair enough if he didn''t want them.  But at the same time it would''ve been odd for him to put all his eggs in one basket with Deano

It''s going to be a very interesting 19 days

Don''t forget Deano is a sound investment, and will hopefully stick around for a season if we do go down - and let''s face it, it looks like we will.

DDiM: Are you saying you don''t trust Worthy and the board on the amount of money they say have to spend? Thats ridiculous they''ve never lied to us before... have they?Bananaman: Your pessimism has no place on such a positive board as this one, now be gone.No in all honesty I have to agree with DDiM, I don''t believe this will be the only arrival this month. I think maybe one more permanent and one more loan signing is likely.

There probably were strikers he could have bought for less than 3 million, but they were the likes of which this forum has been saying no to for ages (Scowcroft, Johnson, etc).  I think theres more to come, I don''t mind having a shrewd manager and board, it''s better than someone who shouts his mouth off all the time about how much he can spend, then getting ripped off.

Pessimism? I thought you of all posters would understand realism, Worthy Nigelton!

Being third from bottom at christmas, leaking goals by the ton and not creating many chances, having only 16 fully fit professionals, at least one of which is Gary Doherty - only kidding, the Doc rules - does not look good for our premier league aspirations.

That doesn''t mean we can''t survive, I just feel that we will find it amazingly difficult.

We were 4th from bottom for Christmas.

Are we really leaking any more goals than any of the other teams around us? Southampton and Fulham put three past each other the other week. Palace lost 5-1 to Spurs just a fortnight ago! WBA lost 4-0 to Liverpool! Remember, we only lost 2-0 to both Liverpool and Spurs. Comparatively, we''re not conceeding as many as our rivals.

Not creating many chances isn''t true either. Against Spurs, we created - and narrowly missed - enough chances to make us officially the Prem''s unluckiest team! We had them at Liverpool as well, it''s just Liverpool''s defence was pretty solid.

Seriously, we have a good chance. Palace are relying heavily on Johnson to score the goals, but otherwise - man for man - we have a far better team.

Let''s keep the faith and sing like never before!

By and large in football you make your own luck.

To miss chances consistently over time is not bad luck - it means we simply are not up to scratch for the Premiership. That is why the boat was pushed out so far for Ashton.

Similarly it is not bad luck after 22 matches that we have leaked more goals (39) than any other team except West Brom (43), and have the 2nd worst goal difference by a substantial margin -20 to West Brom''s -26 & Southampton''s -15), and have scored the the 2nd least number of goals (19 to West Brom''s 17).

We need desperately a commanding central defender to pair with either Fleming or Doherty.

No Norwich team over the years has succeeded without a strong spine -  goalkeeper, 2 central defenders and centre forward/main striker.

TO STAY UP THERE IS VERY LITTLE DOUBT THAT WE MUST URGENTLY ACQUIRE A COMMANDING CENTRAL DEFENDER TO COMPLETE A SATISFACTORILY STRONG SPINE. We have sufficient good enough players to take care of business in the other 7 positions.

Then we can set about creating our own luck.

OTBC

P.S. Delia & Worthy. Hierro is available. If he can still cut it and his head is in the right place, then I say go for him on a short term contract.

Hierro was dreadful against us and was at fault (positionally) for both of Matty''s goals. A defo ''no-no'' as regards him.

[quote]Pessimism? I thought you of all posters would understand realism, Worthy Nigelton! Being third from bottom at christmas, leaking goals by the ton and not creating many chances, having only 16 fully f...[/quote]

No I agree - I think we''ll probably go down, I was being sarcastic, but there is one ray of light at the end of this very dark tunnel...just look at my signature.