Sign in to follow this  
nycanary

We are missing ONE signing

Hey allI know there''s been lots of chat about this but it always seems to get wrapped up in finger pointing.How things are looking right now IMO:1.  We''ve done brilliantly to get to this point.  What the lads have done to have us where we are in the table is nothing short of incredible.2.  We are getting into the teeth of the season now.  And it feels like there are moments where we are stuttering when we shouldn''t if we want to be a side that gets promoted.  Losing 4 points at home against Preston and Doncaster is not the hallmark of a side that''s on course for promotion.  Those points would have put us in 2nd place by a couple of points.3.  Apart from Grant Holt, if we''re being honest, we do not have another true goalscorer in the team.  Even with Martin fit, he hasn''t scored in a long while.  Jackson is quick but doesn''t finish well and doesn''t make great decisions (not to mention likes to be offside when he shouldn''t).  Wilbraham is a nuisance in the air but simply doesn''t score.  That doesn''t mean that they can''t score in any given match.  Its just that they are not at the minute.So, if we are really looking to push on and grab the mantle of promotion, we need another striker.  Someone with confidence.  Someone who can take the pressure of Grant.  The other clubs around are are making those moves in the market.  We may be trying -- there''s no way for any of us to know what''s happening at the club...so all we can see is what the result is.  And right now that result of getting a new striker in is zero.If we don''t get promoted this year, who knows when the next chance comes along.  We might be in a serendipitous moment -- where the momentum of last year has propelled the boys to perform at super human levels, above their own true quality.  If we dont get it this year, it might bring them back down to earth and the feeling of invincibility that came in last year will be gone.  Who knows when we''ll be back up here.I am not second guessing Lambert.  He is brilliant.  But what I am saying is that I think its imperative we pick up a striker as soon as possible, even if it means spending a chunk of that 2 million on someone that might have some questions hanging over their head.  I dont know who that player is.  I dont know who is attainable.  But I know that player needs to be far better than Jackson, Wilbraham or even Martin, in his most recent form.We need him NOW!!!

Some very good points made. I don''t think the fans are helping the situation of the poorish form (for promotion anyway) by getting ready to attack every mistake, selection and tactic but I feel if Lambert comes out and says that we are in fact looking for a striker then I think that the criticism will start to fade. Norwich fans are becoming very arrogant and expectant which will only  set us up for an almighty fall.

Im agree with what you say. The second striker debate has probably been done to death of late including me. Our current back up are not up to the job or not available at the moment. I accept they may get better later but that will be too late for this season. Blake probably would have been a good short term punt but he did not want to come. With a strong midfield i think he will push Wes up front.

My guess is that we would have got someone in by now if it was going to happen. The names banded about are probably not available at this moment or the price is silly.

I am optimistic though that we will kick on again next season with a bit more quality added to an excellent spine of a team and morale/team spirit still high

Jackson is not quick! Why does everybody think he is? He''s no quicker then Martin.I feel we''re missing a Huckerby type player, who can create a goal out of nothing using their pace and skill.

[quote user="nycanary"]Hey all

I know there''s been lots of chat about this but it always seems to get wrapped up in finger pointing.

How things are looking right now IMO:

1.  We''ve done brilliantly to get to this point.  What the lads have done to have us where we are in the table is nothing short of incredible.
2.  We are getting into the teeth of the season now.  And it feels like there are moments where we are stuttering when we shouldn''t if we want to be a side that gets promoted.  Losing 4 points at home against Preston and Doncaster is not the hallmark of a side that''s on course for promotion.  Those points would have put us in 2nd place by a couple of points.
3.  Apart from Grant Holt, if we''re being honest, we do not have another true goalscorer in the team.  Even with Martin fit, he hasn''t scored in a long while.  Jackson is quick but doesn''t finish well and doesn''t make great decisions (not to mention likes to be offside when he shouldn''t).  Wilbraham is a nuisance in the air but simply doesn''t score.  That doesn''t mean that they can''t score in any given match.  Its just that they are not at the minute.

So, if we are really looking to push on and grab the mantle of promotion, we need another striker.  Someone with confidence.  Someone who can take the pressure of Grant.  The other clubs around are are making those moves in the market.  We may be trying -- there''s no way for any of us to know what''s happening at the club...so all we can see is what the result is.  And right now that result of getting a new striker in is zero.

If we don''t get promoted this year, who knows when the next chance comes along.  We might be in a serendipitous moment -- where the momentum of last year has propelled the boys to perform at super human levels, above their own true quality.  If we dont get it this year, it might bring them back down to earth and the feeling of invincibility that came in last year will be gone.  Who knows when we''ll be back up here.

I am not second guessing Lambert.  He is brilliant.  But what I am saying is that I think its imperative we pick up a striker as soon as possible, even if it means spending a chunk of that 2 million on someone that might have some questions hanging over their head.  I dont know who that player is.  I dont know who is attainable.  But I know that player needs to be far better than Jackson, Wilbraham or even Martin, in his most recent form.

We need him NOW!!!

[/quote]

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter[Y]