Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Nigel Pearson's comments...

"Disappointed in that we limited Norwich, a free-scoring side to virtually no chances in the game"

I think he used the right word there...virtual...it must be all in his mind!

Yes i heard his post match interview on bbc humberside on the way home , i thought what game was he comenting on ?  In the closing 10 minuets we had a least 3 good chances to get a winner , true they came close too at least we didnt loose .OTBC

I thought this too but the story changes a little bit if you listen to the whole interview on the bbc site. After saying they limited us to no chances, he then goes on to say that in the second half they went 4-4-2 to chase the game which gave us more space "and we then saw what a good side they are". His ''virtually no chances'' assessment seems to only apply to the first half in his world. Of course he''s conveniently forgetting that we SCORED in the first half so that''s one pretty darn good chance! I thought what was actually most telling was that Pearson reveals that they set up to pack the midfield and stifle Wes. What does that tell you when teams are setting themselves up at home to try and stop you playing? This happened last year when we got to this stage of the season and teams suddenly started to think "blimey, this Norwich lot must be decent, better see what we can do to stop them". Millwall being a case in point i recall when Kenny Jackett revealed they''d spent the whole week in training practicing how to sit on Hoolahan!We have got to be able to combat this now, and i think the versatility in our midfield is a key factor. With Fox, Surman, Lappin, Wes, Crofts, Henri we have a huge range of options. Think Everton at their best a few years ago when they finished 4th. They played with one striker and had Cahill, Arteta, Fellaini (when he was good!), Carsley, Osman all scoring goals. Playing this way and also having the diamond as an option and with Chrissy comeing back we can cope without getting CMS or AN other striker.

I nevalways thought that CMS would have been an expensive gamble. Would he have slotted in straight away? Yes he has had a great year, but it is League One. His record in the Championship the year before was less inspiring. To commit 3m on one player would have greatly limited the player budget for the summer, even if we are promoted.

I would still like to see a loan player with a possibility of a permanent in the summer. Victor Moses has been mentioned and he can play as winger or striker with pace as well. Someone like that could increase options for the last 8 matches without breaking the bank, especially with Wilbraham and Martin getting back to fitness now.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I nevalways thought that CMS would have been an expensive gamble. Would he have slotted in straight away? Yes he has had a great year, but it is League One. His record in the Championship the year before was less inspiring. To commit 3m on one player would have greatly limited the player budget for the summer, even if we are promoted.

I would still like to see a loan player with a possibility of a permanent in the summer. Victor Moses has been mentioned and he can play as winger or striker with pace as well. Someone like that could increase options for the last 8 matches without breaking the bank, especially with Wilbraham and Martin getting back to fitness now.[/quote]Victor Moses is a regular for Wigan in the Premiership though! Why would he leave them for us at this moment in time?

I agree with A1 Canary. Last season I didnt really believe we had a genuine alternative to the diamond. Our 4-4-2 with McNamee on the right looked a bit awkward and the experiment of playing Johnson at the top of the diamond against Leyton Orient didnt work (although I will hold my hands in admitting it was something I wanted to see).

This year there is so much potential variety to our play. You could play a flat 4-4-2 with Surman and Lansbury out wide which worked to marvelous effect against Ipswich, you could play our 4-2-3-1 system like we have at Barnsley and Hull or we stick with the diamond. It really keeps teams guessing and gives us some  many options to change a game up. Credit must go to Lambert for recruiting players to allow him to do that.

Fair point Googler, but according to his Wigan profile, Moses has only started 6 games this season, and come on as sub 8 times. I see that he did start against Birmingham though, so there may be nothing in the rumour. There must be other similar players available though.