Sign in to follow this  
Blurboy1980

Bennett that good?? or Norwich that cheap

I keep hearing them say "they were willing to pay up to 7figures for him and would have been the biggest signing since 2006 when they got Earnshaw so that shows how much they wanted him" .......Now what does that tell you more ...That they wanted him so much or for the last 5 years the club has been dismally cheap towards signings and that could be the reason why we were where we were last year. To me now in this crazy world of football 1 million seems to be the cheapest a quality player costs and a club of our size should be buying players like that all the time now.

It is more likely the case because Roeder spent hundreds of thousands of pounds on loan fees, meaning we couldnt outlay that much on a single player.

I don''t think we need to throw money around to sign the big names or £1m should be the standard fee.If anything our last player bought for anything near the £1m mark ( Jackson ) is also the most useless of the signings made by Lambert.*shrugs*Maybe I am getting old, but I don''t see on what planet Torres is worth £50m and Caroll is worth £35Makes it seem that the £18m for Bent , which I saw as retardedly high was infact a bargin !!I would love to take the current players back into the days of the first 6 figure transfer, Johan Cruyff. I wonder what the footballing world would put on the current crop of players then ?Or perhaps more worrying, what would a 26 year old Johan Cruyff move from Ajax for in 2012 ???

I think that Lambert simply decided he wasn''t worth the amount that Brighton wanted. Lambert is a rare, but very potent, mixture of caution & passion. He knows that what matters most is team spirit. He''s not interested in big name players - unless they have the right attitude to go with it. He has clearly decided that Bennett has that attitude & the potential to be an exceptional player, but potential doesn''t always translate into actuality, so whatever he pays for him will have an element of risk. His caution & awareness of his situation - his nous - means he knows he cannot just bid any amount for a player. He knows McNally expects him to husband his resources well, that McNally & the Board trust him to do so & will maintain that trust so long as he doesn''t abuse it. He simply can''t afford to make expensive gambles; we haven''t got the resources. It''s a risk/reward balancing act.Which it isn''t for us supporters. We gamble the price of a ticket (a season ticket at most) on being entertained & enjoying ourselves. But our livelihood doesn''t depend on it, & we''re not risking a large proportion of our personal wealth.Lambert isn''t going to get everything right, but I''d trust his judgement over everyone else''s - including mine.

[quote user="Blurboy1980"]It is crazy how some players are making over 50k a week. Just amazing. No way fees like that can continue.
[/quote]

Blackpool allegedly pay a maximum 10K a week and look where they are. You really do not need to pay ridiculous wages to get success and I hope that Norwich never pay those sort of wages.

[quote user="ron obvious"]
I think that Lambert simply decided he wasn''t worth the amount that Brighton wanted.

Lambert is a rare, but very potent, mixture of caution & passion. He knows that what matters most is team spirit. He''s not interested in big name players - unless they have the right attitude to go with it.
He has clearly decided that Bennett has that attitude & the potential to be an exceptional player, but potential doesn''t always translate into actuality, so whatever he pays for him will have an element of risk. His caution & awareness of his situation - his nous - means he knows he cannot just bid any amount for a player. He knows McNally expects him to husband his resources well, that McNally & the Board trust him to do so & will maintain that trust so long as he doesn''t abuse it. He simply can''t afford to make expensive gambles; we haven''t got the resources. It''s a risk/reward balancing act.
Which it isn''t for us supporters. We gamble the price of a ticket (a season ticket at most) on being entertained & enjoying ourselves. But our livelihood doesn''t depend on it, & we''re not risking a large proportion of our personal wealth.

Lambert isn''t going to get everything right, but I''d trust his judgement over everyone else''s - including mine.

[/quote]

Well written Ron!...

[quote user="ron obvious"]Lambert is a rare, but very potent, mixture of caution & passion. [/quote]

Scottish?

[quote user="Nonki"][quote user="ron obvious"]Lambert is a rare, but very potent, mixture of caution & passion. [/quote] Scottish?[/quote]That''s a very good point. Might explain why there''ve always been good Scottish managers.Something went horribly wrong with Peter Grant though. Mostly on the caution bit.

Hey I loveee what Lambert and McNally are doing for Norwich but im just talking about the last 5 years in general. And everyone brings up Blackpool but how many other teams can you mention that are like that, its a rare occurrence and ever now Blackpool are not too far off the bottom places, few more losses and they will be right down there also. But in Lambert we trust and I do love him....I am not moaning I hope you all know that.