Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Brief thoughts on a torrid day

Well what a 24 hours that was. It always felt wrong that Lambert would leave us for the likes of Burnley and it would appear that instinct was correct. I believe the whole situation was manufactured by Lambo and his agent. yes if norwich did not respond as they anticipated they probably saw it as a fallback but i firmly believe this was all done to strengthen his position at Norwich, possibly get a better contract but most likely to get funds out of the board for transfers. so how should we feel about this. On balance probably grateful. We still have our manager, he has mugged off Burnley and hopefully is now armed with a war chest. however the events of yesterday have shown what a ruthless operator the man can be and I suspect cant have been massively well received by the board. I think we all knew it already but it will only be a matter of time before a more attractive offer comes in and lambo will be off. If anything it brings home the importance of striking while the iron is hot and we still have Lambo because personally I think the chances of him being with us at the end of next season are very slim. I expect a couple of decent players to come in now and for us to have a real crack at it.

There is absolutely no question about it now - we have to make this season count.  Promotion is the only option now!  All involved have now nailed too much their respective masts not to push on from here.  Hope the players are up for it!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Well what a 24 hours that was. It always felt wrong that Lambert would leave us for the likes of Burnley and it would appear that instinct was correct. I believe the whole situation was manufactured by Lambo and his agent. yes if norwich did not respond as they anticipated they probably saw it as a fallback but i firmly believe this was all done to strengthen his position at Norwich, possibly get a better contract but most likely to get funds out of the board for transfers. so how should we feel about this. On balance probably grateful. We still have our manager, he has mugged off Burnley and hopefully is now armed with a war chest. however the events of yesterday have shown what a ruthless operator the man can be and I suspect cant have been massively well received by the board. I think we all knew it already but it will only be a matter of time before a more attractive offer comes in and lambo will be off. If anything it brings home the importance of striking while the iron is hot and we still have Lambo because personally I think the chances of him being with us at the end of next season are very slim. I expect a couple of decent players to come in now and for us to have a real crack at it.[/quote]

absolutely spot on. my thoughts exactly.

I don''t think that Lambert was holding the board to ransom - he knows the score - we only have X amount of limited funds and nothing more in the kitty and this he knows. I think it''s still a case of job unfinished here for him - let''s face it he really doesn''t have anything on his CV at the moment.

This situation will arise again in the summer (or before) once our season has panned out one way or the other.

On another note - I really don''t know what to say about some of our so called fickle supporters who were turning on Lambert on the basis of rumours yesterday.

I think PL would rather use his own talents and become the next Ian Holloway than simply be offered a meal ticket to the Prem. (There is always the exception though!). He is a very focussed and ambitious man with some notable key principles. One of those is the fact he doesn''t always choose the perceived easiest route; look at how he learned his coaching badges - not in England but in Germany. He thinks, acts and behaves differently to most and that is why he is so refreshing - and successful!

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

I don''t think that Lambert was holding the board to ransom - he knows the score - we only have X amount of limited funds and nothing more in the kitty and this he knows. I think it''s still a case of job unfinished here for him - let''s face it he really doesn''t have anything on his CV at the moment.

This situation will arise again in the summer (or before) once our season has panned out one way or the other.

On another note - I really don''t know what to say about some of our so called fickle supporters who were turning on Lambert on the basis of rumours yesterday.

[/quote]

Well we are all entitled to their opinion but in my view anyone who thinks Lambert''s agent had not encouraged them to make that approach is rather naive. The man is ruthless and he has an agent of a similar ilk. The former is no bad thing whilst he''s our manager because he is desperate to get to the prem which ultimately is what we all want.

Or maybe McNally is far better at his job than even we thought. Unless somebody has donated cash from their own pockets there is no chance of extra cash, we will break our agreements with the banks and no promotion would then mean administration. Yes Lambert will leave at sometime I would guess but did McNally play the you are really going to Burnley hand - failure will mean your immediate ambitions have failed get real ?? - dont suppose we will ever know until after Lambert has gone. McNallys tweet last night suggested that the last time he had spoken to Lambert he had not told him he was staying.  

...or we could just stop the endless speculating, guessing and, lets be honest, insulting accusations of Lambert''s ''real motives'', and enjoy what we have right now, for as long as it lasts.

It''s a depressing indictment of the modern game if we simply MUST find some other reason for a manager wanting to stay than his simple statement that he likes it here.

He plainly loves it here, and we love him here. That''s it. We can''t change anything else, we know nothing else.

Just crack on and push for promotion now, if anything comes from tomorrow it will be absolute determination to show the Burnley''s of this world we mean business.

Personally I find the willingness by some to very quickly conjure up largely baseless theories of mercenary behaviour or selfish ambition by our manager, more worrying than anything Lambert has or hasn''t done since he has been here.

Damn it, I meant yesterday...if anything comes from yesterday. Nothing is happening tomorrow, I promise.

I''m new, but always read, and I just couldn''t resist commenting on this any longer.

Endless speculation probably came from quotes like "I''m happy with the statement, don''t push me any further...." rather than a plain simple & easily understood  "I just want to say I''m staying here & not going to Burnley...."

It''s depressing indictment of the modern game that politics & double speak are so common.

Lambert is very ambitious & has an agent to get him better deals, I love the bloke for what he has done but lets not be too naive.

End of the day he''s staying at least to the end of the season, we are 3rd, lets enjoy the ride!

Torrid day what histrionics.

How long have you supported City, you should know its never straightforward.

Another legend Malky would have slotted in seamlessly.  Give it at least another 5 months hopefully unless the Hammers decide to appoint a decnt manager maybe even Liverpool?  See you then Malky.