Sign in to follow this  
Squire

Successful signings.

Can''t remember the source but I recently read an article which gave a 65-75% success rate of signings made by football clubs. I guess Lambert has made a dozen or so since his arrival. Which of those might fail or, indeed, have done so already. One or two suspects already come to mind. Of course this is subjective and we all have different views but what do people think?

So who has Lambert signed...Firstly, Forster, obviously a huge success[Y]Then Whitbread? We don''t know yet, highly rated and rated by me but from what we''ve seen so far I''m not so sure.Russel Martin: everyone has their opinion on him, for me he is adequate but we could do better, then again we could do worse (Otsemobor).McNamee: Again, some people think he''s great some think he''s rubbish. I think he is great when played left wing in his preferred position and he has a chance to get chalk on his boots. Good signing IMO.Oli Johnson: Good signing, showboater has a bit of skill and pace and can finish. Raw talent and bought for very little, good spot from Lambert.Then we have the summer''s buys of which we know little about so far.Andrew Surman: Good career so far, great player at Southampton but lost his way at Wolves, will be great for us I hope.John Ruddy: Solid keeper as good as Fraser I reckon, he''s shown that so far anyway.Simeon Jackson: Pacey, can finish, good striker, hopefully will flourish in our team with Hoolahan picking out the through balls.Elliott Ward: Again, like Surman, Premier League experience and still only young for a CB, will be a good player at the heart of our defence with Whitbread I reckon.David Fox: I don''t know much about him but he has a good range of passing composure on the ball. Andrew Crofts: Our replacement for Rusty, gets into tackles and just what we need in the holding midfield position if we play the diamond next season.Steven Smith: Champions League experience can''t be bad, if Drury gets injured this season I expect him to step in and not let Drury back in for the season.There''s my summary anyway. Of who lambert has signed and we have seen play, maybe Russel Martin is the only one I have doubts about, although McNamee when played out of position has a tendency to play poorly, but this is to be expected out of position.

Good call scrimmage; I agree with your observations. As you say, too early to judge summer signings. I guess that even Lamberts loan signings (leaving aside the success of Forster) made some useful contributions. Lets hope he defies the stats and has nearer 100% success rate. If he does, then we could be flying.

Oh and I forgot Rose, who had a storming debut against Hartlepool with a goal but after that showed little. All I could remember of him before we signed him on loan was that Cody tackled him ran towards the goal and promptly set up Holt to score so it wasn''t a great omen.

Mister Chops: a slightly different opinion, which is neither more right nor wrong than your opinion...

Michael Rose: Did what he needed to when Drury was unavailable, I believe we won more than we lost whilst Rose was playing, and I''m fairly sure he had a couple of assists too along the way.

Stephen Elliott: Like Rose, contributed towards the squad''s momentum towards the Championship. Slightly less of an impact, but even a one-hit wonder has had a hit, so worthwhile having him for the short period of time we did.

Incidentally, neither Elliott or Rose are here now, so clearly not considered upto Championship standard by Lambert which is fair enough, but they both contributed towards our ascendency to Championship status.

Maybe with a decent pre-season behind them they''ll both go on to have success with their current/future clubs.