Sign in to follow this  
Its only my opinion

I'm slightly worried....?

Last year the ever present players which made the spine of the team were, Forster,Doherty,Russell and Holt.. At present time Forster is back at Newcastle,Doherty has been released and Russell has had a good offer from another club.

If you look through our squad there are plyers  we wouldn''t have any regrets if they moved on..But these are 3 players that we could have kept and brought some quality players in other positions.For us to be challenging in the championship we need to strengthen in other area''s of the pitch, without these players we are going to have to strengthen in alot more positions. Which means the players will need time to gel.

I would rather we sold people like Gill,Tuder-jones even maybe Hughes and try''d to keep the main Spine of our team??

I share your concerns but I guess it all boils down to "We have to trust Lambert, I''m sure he knows what he is doing.And try not no get too bored with the muppets who claim the likes of Doc and Russel have "found their level" this season!

I''d be more upset if Hughes left, really think he could be huge for us next season.Also, Hoolahan is much more a part of the spine of the team than Russell, and Nelson has been more so than Doc recently.

[quote user="morty"]I share your concerns but I guess it all boils down to "We have to trust Lambert, I''m sure he knows what he is doing.

And try not no get too bored with the muppets who claim the likes of Doc and Russel have "found their level" this season!
[/quote]

So, that makes Lambert a muppet then as he has decided to release Doc so must agree that League One is his level. Which is it - does Lambert know what he''s doing or is he a muppet in your humble opinion?

[quote user="Is only my opinion"]

Last year the ever present players which made the spine of the team were, Forster,Doherty,Russell and Holt.. At present time Forster is back at Newcastle,Doherty has been released and Russell has had a good offer from another club.

If you look through our squad there are plyers  we wouldn''t have any regrets if they moved on..But these are 3 players that we could have kept and brought some quality players in other positions.For us to be challenging in the championship we need to strengthen in other area''s of the pitch, without these players we are going to have to strengthen in alot more positions. Which means the players will need time to gel.

I would rather we sold people like Gill,Tuder-jones even maybe Hughes and try''d to keep the main Spine of our team??

[/quote]

So what is the score with Forster? How could we have "kept" him? That''s presuming that he does not come back on loan.

Russell may stay yet.

But like I said on another thread, Russell found his level this yr and tailed off big time after Xmas.

We have 2 better players in Korey and Hoooooze.

If he leaves, his wages along with Curetons, Docs abd Mcveighs will free up �20k plus.

Good business on players that wouldn''t catapult us into Bowketts "top 6 push."

[quote user="sgncfc"]

[quote user="morty"]I share your concerns but I guess it all boils down to "We have to trust Lambert, I''m sure he knows what he is doing.And try not no get too bored with the muppets who claim the likes of Doc and Russel have "found their level" this season![/quote]

So, that makes Lambert a muppet then as he has decided to release Doc so must agree that League One is his level. Which is it - does Lambert know what he''s doing or is he a muppet in your humble opinion?

[/quote]Oh right, so you know the reasons Lambert has released him then? You know for a certain fact that Lambert has released him of football ability only, despite him having a fantastic season?  You have some kind of insight into all the contractual complexities, and whether or not maybe the Doc himself maybe fancied a move?And I was calling the people who are spouting crap muppets, not Lambert.

If Hughes is so great why wasn''t he playing more games... I think i''m on my own here but i don''t rate askou either.. I think Hughes and askou are very good squad players but not going to get us challenging in the championship.

Also what i have seen of witbread including watching him for millwall which wasn''t lot''s but have never been impressed..I always looked out for him when playing as i remember him being at liverpool..All i always thought when watching is how was he at liverpool because i have never really seen him stand out,even in the lower leagues.

Hoolahan is a very good player but we need a team he can not win us games in the championship with out a solid defence and midfield.. without doherty and russell we are losing 2 of our best defensive players!

Hughesy season has been extremely stop start.

Here a are few really good games ge had:

Wycombe,Southend,Leeds x2, MK Dons, Yeovil, Huddersfield, Bristol Rovers and Southampton.

That''s just off the top of my head. If he was fit and didn''t miss so much of pre season he would have played.

But like Ive said elsewhere, Lambert always says a winning team picks itself. Hughes was never going to break in while we were riding the crest of waves.

Have faith. Hughesy is the best passer at the club.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Hughesy season has been extremely stop start. Here a are few really good games ge had: Wycombe,Southend,Leeds x2, MK Dons, Yeovil, Huddersfield, Bristol Rovers and Southampton. That''s just off the top of my head. If he was fit and didn''t miss so much of pre season he would have played. But like Ive said elsewhere, Lambert always says a winning team picks itself. Hughes was never going to break in while we were riding the crest of waves. Have faith. Hughesy is the best passer at the club.[/quote]

100% Agree CUSDP Hughes is a very good player and was unlucky not to start more games,i think he will play a big part next season.

I think Hughes could still be a really good player for us. He looked class against MK Dons until Chadwick violently scythed him down and he was stretchered off. More to come next season definitely. Even if Rusty left a diamond with Smith at the base, Hughes and Lappin either side and Wes at the tip wouldn''t be the end of the world. However we desperately need competition because in my opinion Gill and Tudur are simply not up to stratch. That only leaves McNamee as a viable alternative.

Sorry how could I forget young Tom Adeyemi as well. He is a year younger than Korey Smith, so next year could be his breakthrough. If he is near that standard we are in for a treat.

[quote user="PhatCanary"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Hughesy season has been extremely stop start. Here a are few really good games ge had: Wycombe,Southend,Leeds x2, MK Dons, Yeovil, Huddersfield, Bristol Rovers and Southampton. That''s just off the top of my head. If he was fit and didn''t miss so much of pre season he would have played. But like Ive said elsewhere, Lambert always says a winning team picks itself. Hughes was never going to break in while we were riding the crest of waves. Have faith. Hughesy is the best passer at the club.[/quote]

100% Agree CUSDP Hughes is a very good player and was unlucky not to start more games,i think he will play a big part next season.

[/quote]Unlucky?If he was good enough he would have started more games.

[quote user="First Wizard"]City are not in League 1 no more, therefore, we don''t need  League 1 players anymore.[/quote]

Exactly, one of the best replies I have seen on here for the last two days.

Doherty, after being useless in the past 4 seasons in the Championship had a good season in League 1 - Therefore, League 1 player.

However Russel wasn''t to bad last season and done well this season so I would like to see him stay, but it wouldn''t be a complete disaster if he left.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

Unlucky?

If he was good enough he would have started more games.
[/quote]

If he was fully fit he would have started more games.

[/quote]

Unlucky?

[/quote]

He is good enough but the team was playing so well he couldn''t break into the team,you don''t change a winning team,also he was injured thanks to Chadwick and missed a few months because of injuries so imo he was unlucky![:)]

[quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]Unlucky?If he was good enough he would have started more games.[/quote]

He is good enough but the team was playing so well he couldn''t break into the team,you don''t change a winning team,also he was injured thanks to Chadwick and missed a few months because of injuries so imo he was unlucky![:)]

[/quote]For me I would bracket him in the same category as Macnamee, shows promise, but not nearly often enough so far, jury is out for me still.

[quote user="morty"]You know this for sure do you?[/quote]

Well Lambert put him in the team pretty much straight away after he got here, Hughes was playing well and a part of the team.  We went to MK Dons and he got injured and was out for quite some time.  However when he was fit again he couldn''t get into the team because we were playing really well and you don''t change a winning team. 

So no, I don''t know this for sure but I have backed it up pretty well and all you have to do is look at it with some sense.

[/quote]

Unlucky?

[/quote]

Sorry morty but some players will perform in different types of matches,Hughsey is a ball player who can spot a pass/and opportunity when the match is flowing..league one has too many meatheads and football stoppers..(like the italians of the 70`s)..Hughesy could well be a much better player in the championship with more football type matches..Korey and tom ady will both be more creative as well imo

[quote user="Boyo"]

Well Lambert put him in the team pretty much straight away after he got here, Hughes was playing well and a part of the team.  We went to MK Dons and he got injured and was out for quite some time.  However when he was fit again he couldn''t get into the team because we were playing really well and you don''t change a winning team. 

So no, I don''t know this for sure but I have backed it up pretty well and all you have to do is look at it with some sense.

[/quote]Your sense?If he really was head and shoulders above the starting 11 then he would have been playing with them, thats a fact. Anything else about fitness or not changing a winning team is pure speculation.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

Unlucky?

[/quote]

[/quote]

For me I would bracket him in the same category as Macnamee, shows promise, but not nearly often enough so far, jury is out for me still.
[/quote]

I see your point but from what i have seen of him he will be a good championship player,as for Macnamee i think he will be a well used sub next season,he has the ability but only in small bursts.

[quote user="Barclaybred"][quote user="morty"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]Unlucky?If he was good enough he would have started more games.[/quote]

Sorry morty but some players will perform in different types of matches,Hughsey is a ball player who can spot a pass/and opportunity when the match is flowing..league one has too many meatheads and football stoppers..(like the italians of the 70`s)..Hughesy could well be a much better player in the championship with more football type matches..Korey and tom ady will both be more creative as well imo

[/quote]Yes, he "could well be" a much better player in the championship, but you can only judge on what you see, and we haven''t seen him there. What we have seen is a player that has played a minor role who has drifted in and out of games. If he plays 30 games next season and is class on the grass then no one will be more pleased than I, but based on what I have seen so far the jury is out for me.

I rate Hughes, but I think the key point is that he has often had to fill in. In my view his best position is central where he can dictate play. Since the injury he has been started there twice, at Charlton and at home to Gillingham. He was excellent in the former and did well in the second until half time when MacNamee''s substitution forced him to the left where he couldn''t get into the game.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

Your sense?

If he really was head and shoulders above the starting 11 then he would have been playing with them, thats a fact. Anything else about fitness or not changing a winning team is pure speculation.
[/quote]

I have never said he was head and shoulders above the rest because he is not.  All I have said is that he would have played more if he didn''t get injured.  I expect to see him a lot more next season when (like someone else said) the football suits him better.

I think the jury is not with you at all because he would have played more games if he didn''t get injured. 

And morty it is the jury that will decide,but in the mean time the Judge Lamber has indicated to the jury that Hughesy could be guilty of showing quality that could or will shine in the championship :0

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]Your sense?If he really was head and shoulders above the starting 11 then he would have been playing with them, thats a fact. Anything else about fitness or not changing a winning team is pure speculation.[/quote]

I have never said he was head and shoulders above the rest because he is not.  All I have said is that he would have played more if he didn''t get injured.  I expect to see him a lot more next season when (like someone else said) the football suits him better.

I think the jury is not with you at all because he would have played more games if he didn''t get injured. 

[/quote]But the point here is that you don''t actually know he would have started more games.I don''t know how many games you went to, and I''m really not interested in turning it into a "I have been to more games than you petty argument" but I struggle to think of how many games I walked away from saying "Bloody hell, Hughesy played well today"

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Boyo"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]Your sense?If he really was head and shoulders above the starting 11 then he would have been playing with them, thats a fact. Anything else about fitness or not changing a winning team is pure speculation.[/quote]

[/quote]But the point here is that you don''t actually know he would have started more games.I don''t know how many games you went to, and I''m really not interested in turning it into a "I have been to more games than you petty argument" but I struggle to think of how many games I walked away from saying "Bloody hell, Hughesy played well today"[/quote]I posted this on another thread back in April:

Yes. Got to play him. I have been saying it since Wes'' injury.

You simply cannot play Smith with Russell as they are too similar and

create little. I am a big Hughes fan and i like what i see. Currently

we are playing too long. NObody is taking responsibility (like Wes

normally does) and getting on the ball.

Hughes is a creator. A playmaker, someone who likes to get on the

ball and play. An underated strength in football is always wanting the

ball and not hiding. Hughes ALWAYS wants the ball, lets give him a run

of games and see what happens we cant do no worse.

Those that are doubting him, please cast your minds back too:

MK Dons (a) - We were dominating the game until Hughes came off

injured. The tempo dropped, ball retention suffered and we eventually

lost.

Huddersfield (H) - Being battered at HT, Hughes came on and changed

the game. We had more energy, kept the ball better and created more. Won

3-0

Southend (A) - Played at the base of the diamond and absolutely ran

the game, so much so that the opposition supporters were singing his

praises. All the play went through him.

Southampton (A) - Came on and helped us change the game and scored in

the process.

Leeds (H) - Came on, helped the midfield squeeze more and set the

winner up.

Orient (A) - Came on last night, didnt change the game but had the

energy to get box to box and sting the keepers hands on a rare occasion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlton (A) and Bristol Rovers (A) can now be added to the games. At Charlton he was box to box, kept the ball had a few attempts and a disallowed goal. At Bristol he oozed class and scored.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Mort''s what were your thoughts on the above games? Again im not arguing just genuinely interested as we all see different games.