Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

It'll be good to get Cureton off the books...

The sad truth is that a player''s return to a former club rarely works out.Of the three returnees currently on the books, Cureton, McVeigh and Russell only Russell with a new lease of life seems to be enjoying being at the club but he too came within a whisker of leaving earlier this season. In recent years only Robert Fleck be said to have made an impact on his return but he was never quite the same player after his time at Chelsea. Some time before that the late great Graham Paddon returned to Carrow Road for a second stint. He too failed to reproduce the form he showed before his move to West Ham but a badly fractured leg in only his second game back hardly helped.There may have been others who did come back and make an impact but I can''t think of any that did. Can anyone?

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="JTG"][quote user="Panic Dem"]

"Arthur "I’m a daft racist pensioner" Whittle"]I didnt say Jamie was a leech, I said that for Wiz to call Bryan Gunn a leech when he got us relegated, you have to class Jamie in the same bracket i.e. they were both part of the team that took us down, and have earned a few quid. I dont actually think any of them are leeches, i was simply responding to wiz calling Bryan Gunn a leech."

Fair enough , but King Canary did !

[/quote]

Again, no, he said exactly the same as what Arthur said. That in the context, Cureton is as much of a leech as Gunn was.

King Canary has taken some stick for no reason in this thread, everything he says has been correct, if fairly obvious.
[/quote]
Cheers JTG. I dont think Cureton is a leech and neither is Gunn. Both were paid wages by the club for jobs that were, in all honesty beyond their capabilities.
[/quote]

Good to hear from you and your friend that you definitely don''t think either Gunn or Cureton are leeches because of course they aren''t/weren''t. You wholeheartedly endorsed Arthur''s statement "which sounds a bit like leeching to me." so forgive me for thinking that you concurred with his opinion.

It would have been great if Curo hit some form, but it wasn''t to be, and i think its best for him and the club if he moves on, i don''t think he last past next season anyway though....

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="Panic Dem"]When Cureton returned to Norwich he wasn''t given the opportunity of playing alongside tall, muscular front men such as those mentioned. Under Roeder JC hardly started a game and when he did, laughably he was played up front on his own with balls beong lofted to him from the back. Roeder''s tenure as Norwich manager resulted in JC''s confidence being completely undermined and he never had the opportunity since to regain it.[/quote]

Well, he played alongside Chris Brown, Dion Dublin, Ched Evans, Carl Cort, Grant Holt, and, er, Darel Russell (okay, scratch that last one). All of them, except possibly Evans who isn''t a target man as such, are the sort of player Cureton is supposed to thrive with. But without exception,  no matter who he played with, he had no pace, showed little awareness or work rate, and of course his scoring record wasn''t up to much either.

As for Roeder... well, okay, man management is hardly a strong point of his, granted - but he often didn''t play on his own. Maybe now and again which is daft but I think he got a fair crack at the whip, as he did under Grant, Gunn and even Lambert also. Roeder even made him captain on a couple of occasions which isn''t really the action of someone who had it in for him. But whoever he played under he proved ineffective by and large.

I know he was top scorer in the Championship for Colchester when he signed but the fact we paid so much for him, on a three-year contract was absurd. He might have scored 14 goals in his first season back and scored some really good ones too but it was obvious even then he wasn''t up to it - two brief bursts of form gave him a respectable tally but other than that he''s been a bit of waste of space to be honest. I have nothing against the guy at all, it''s a real shame it didn''t work out for him and I wish him luck at wherever he goes next but he''s never really been good enough for us.

[/quote]

Oh, do be fair. Carl Cort ? For goodness sake. Dion Dublin ? When Curo played alongside him, as much as I admired Dublin, DD was at the end of his career and couldn''t cut it up front in anything like the same way as the three strikers I have mentioned. Brown, Evans and Russell ? No similarity at all to Iwelumo, Akinbiyi or Roberts so irrelevant to the point I was making. Grant Holt - maybe, but by the time he played alongside him Curo''s confidence and pace had gone. In any case, how many minutes did Curo get to play alongside Holt ? Like I said, the facts speak for themselves - when Cureton was partnered by tall, muscular, "put it about" centre forwards such as Iwelumo, Roberts and Akinbiyi he was at his best and scored lots of goals. Therefore, when Cureton came back to Norwich consecutive managers clearly did not play to his strengths. To my mind it was a bit of a no brainer. Cureton won the golden boot award in the championship playing for a pretty mediocre Colchester side, the difference was that he was playing alongside and off Iwelumo.

Anyway, it''s all academic now and I think we are all agreed that if we can offload Cureton to another club it will be in the best interests of Norwich City and probably for Jamie.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Totally uncalled thread............thanks Jamie for the memories.[/quote]

Wizzard!!! justify your comment please... sure Jamie gave us good memories, but they were a long time ago, the POINT of the thread however was what is beneficial to the club, and that would be a highly paid player, that DOES not play... moving on... SIMPLES!

[/quote]

His hat trick against Col Who for starters!

And you sound like a Col fan, WE wish our old boys well.............not rubbish them.

[/quote]
Really? What about Mr Brian Gunn? A man you have refered to as having ''leeched'' off the club?
[/quote]

Its true, he did for years.........oh, and got us relegated!

[/quote]

And players like Cureton didn''t get us relegated? how many sitters did he miss that season?

[quote user="Canary Wanderer"]

Ex Players returning what about the great Dion Dublin.

[/quote]

When i heard of this signing i was really disheartened, but i was so WRONG, the guy is up there with Iwan, he was a class footballer and a gentleman, one of my fondest memories is seing him get a standing ovation from Hillsborough on the final game of the season two seasons ago, if only we knew for definate it was Hucks last game in a city shirt too... damn Roeder... damn him!!!

I saw an EDP billboard/poster thing outside a newsagents, says fan''s favourite striker set to leave city..... i hope they don''t mean Cureton, only Wiz likes him :P

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I saw an EDP billboard/poster thing outside a newsagents, says fan''s favourite striker set to leave city..... i hope they don''t mean Cureton, only Wiz likes him :P[/quote]

Let''s hope they mean JC and not Holt