Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

How have we got to the position where we cannot afford one single player?

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Now then Bury Green, you are rather naughty, bringing food and drink into the equation when I''m on a diet and avoiding starters. As for nutty nigel, I always enjoy reading your posts although not always agreeing with them. I am a bit intrigued by your businessmen quote. Surely if someone claims to be a businessman then one assumes that they are. They may not always be what they seem of course, as the description covers all manner of roast meats! Surely we all make decisions that effect us continuously. I cannot think anyone is stupid enough to think everyday the slate is wiped clean when commenting on out football club''s situation. It is difficult to assess what the financial situation is as we do not know all the facts. I have mainly been in the ''pleading poverty so we don''t get rolled over'' camp. Now I really am not sure.[/quote]

Bury Yellow - I enjoy your posts too. In fact this thread is a pleasure so far. My point about businessmen was in the main that many look at football in a different light to their businesses. Fans wake up each morning to a clean slate. Read the transfer gossip. Hanker after players. forget about the problems that hold the club back and in some cases it seems to me they believe there''s a reset button to tear it up and start again. Many fans quote administration as a way of doing this when the reality is so different. You''re right , things may not always be what they seem. I''m a bog cleaning bingo caller amongst other things. But amongst the other things I have to make decisions that have consequences. If I get them wrong then the consequences have to be taken into account in the decisions I make in the future. Peter Grants decision to give Jamie Cureton a three year contract at the age of 32 has affected the decisions made by three subsequent managers. In 2004 Danny Mills signed a five year contract with Manchester City and this contract must have influenced decisions there throughout that time. We fans don''t always consider these things.

The key question seems to me, can we keep hold of Hoolahan. The most frustrating thing over the last few years has been seeing the squad being constantly down graded. Ashton becomes Earnshaw becomes Cureton etc. It may seem tempting to sell Wes to buy two or three players in January, but if we do, those three players will be run-of-the-mill League One players (like, dare I say it, Nelson and Gill) and our squad will be worse, not better than it is at the moment. We''ve got enough players at the moment, the problem is that many of them are not good enough. Selling our best player to add three more budget options will just make that worse.

I would much rather move heaven and earth to keep Hoolahan - if that means we have to rely on Smith, Spillane, Adeyemi etc all season, so be it.

If we were to get promoted, the TV money in the Championship is about ten times greater than what you get in League one, so we could strengthen then.

I am also glad I kept the rebate - it was the only way I could express any frustration at the retention of Gunn and the general mismanagement of the club. If the club were to ask for a HUckerby-style whip-round in preparation for the transfer window, I would give it back to them now, with McNally and Lambert at the helm.

Totally agree with your last post Nutty but the bog cleaning bit has destroyed the image!!

I am of course slim, 6'' tall, a boyish nay caddish 35, pull any women I like and have a passing resemblance to Nigel Havers.

I thank you.

I completely agree Robert, yes, we may well need the money the sale of Wes would generate, but who would we replace him with? Anyone of the same quality? Surely not, we couldn''t afford it. So then two to three also rans ( as you indicate) to boost numbers rather than strengthen in quality and ability.

No, keep Wes, who by all accounts wants to stay and concentrate on bringing forward more of our young players, most of whom have contributed to our push for promotion.

Selling Wes will be a step backwards and has to be avoided. Also agree with your comment on the rebate. I wonder if the club have the time to administer this, or would even consider the possibility?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"] Also agree with your comment on the rebate. I wonder if the club have the time to administer this, or would even consider the possibility?[/quote]

I suggested this over a month on that wonderful long running thread about Delia being an utter disgrace. Smudger and Tangie were having none of it Gazza. Maybe you could use your persuasive powers to get some more support for the idea.