Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

We look good but not quite the finished article

Based on the last month i am confident we will be right in the mix come the end of the season but there are still 2 or 3 areas that need to be addressed if we are to stop leaking goals and come away with the points our performances deserve. Areas to address:

1. Right back - Otsemabor is a liability. Spillane was looking good. If he''s not back soon then we should get a loan in.

2. Pace at CB - the only time we really look shaky is when teams put on pacy strikers and go long ball against us over the top. Then Doc and JBA look fragile and get beaten to too many balls. I am not convinced by this partnership.

3. Simon Lappin - in the last month hsi performance levels have dropped massively. Last night the comparison was even more stark given the performances of Hughes and Rusty. Will be interesting to see when Smith is back who makes way. Dropping lappin would be brave as he gives us delivery from set peices and some solidity in front of Drury but last night he was second to virtually every ball and really looks the weak link in that midfield.

We have a real chance this season. A few hundred grand could be the difference between success and failure. Will the board be able to find it from somewhere?

I would play Smith, Rusty and Hughes as our midfield 3. Agree with the other 2 points though.

[quote user="Lambo"]I would play Smith, Rusty and Hughes as our midfield 3. Agree with the other 2 points though.[/quote]

I would as well - that was my point. It would be brave though as lappin takes all our set peices.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="Lambo"]I would play Smith, Rusty and Hughes as our midfield 3. Agree with the other 2 points though.[/quote]

I would as well - that was my point. It would be brave though as lappin takes all our set peices.

[/quote]

I think Martin & Hoolahan have enough between them to cover for that though in all honesty.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Based on the last month i am confident we will be right in the mix come the end of the season but there are still 2 or 3 areas that need to be addressed if we are to stop leaking goals and come away with the points our performances deserve. Areas to address:

1. Right back - Otsemabor is a liability. Spillane was looking good. If he''s not back soon then we should get a loan in.

2. Pace at CB - the only time we really look shaky is when teams put on pacy strikers and go long ball against us over the top. Then Doc and JBA look fragile and get beaten to too many balls. I am not convinced by this partnership.

3. Simon Lappin - in the last month hsi performance levels have dropped massively. Last night the comparison was even more stark given the performances of Hughes and Rusty. Will be interesting to see when Smith is back who makes way. Dropping lappin would be brave as he gives us delivery from set peices and some solidity in front of Drury but last night he was second to virtually every ball and really looks the weak link in that midfield.

We have a real chance this season. A few hundred grand could be the difference between success and failure. Will the board be able to find it from somewhere?

[/quote]Lappin has always lacked pace and when he does make a poor delivery it is noticed. But he is currently our top provider of "assists" according to the official web site, including the one for Holt''s goal last night. He is still playing his part IMO.Last season Bell was slammed for being slow and lazy. But despite making relatively few starts and usually not playing on his favoured right wing, he provided most assists. We missed him when he was sold.

Martin has proven his worth as a set piece taker in my eyes and with Hughes and Hoolahan probably decent enough for corners dropping Lappin may not be all that bad.

Young Smith is the one center mid who consistently gets into the penalty area and has shooting opportunities, Russell as the defensive minded with Hughes linking up the play is surely what we need to go for.