Sign in to follow this  
Stevo

A sensible decision

Whilst not being ecstatic about the appointment of Paul Lambert, I''m definitely pleased by it and feel hopeful that he''s ''a round peg for a round hole''.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think our history of appointments has demonstrated the previously shallow thought process of the board in making their decisions....

Peter Grant was an attempt to mimic the appointment of Aidy Boothroyd who had shown the potential benefits of appointing a young, ambitious coach as manager.

When that went horribly wrong because he was out of his depth and had no contacts, they simply went for the opposite in Roeder. An experienced manager with ''great links'' to premier league clubs.

When that went horribly worng because he was unpopular and didn''t ''understand'' the club and it''s fans, they simply went for the opposite again in Gunn. A fan''s favourite and club legend to bring back the feel good factor and win back the fans.

Shallow and simple decision making from a board made up of willing and decent people but who are sadly lacking when it comes to understanding how to run a football club. Demonstrated perfectly by the re-appointment and recent backing of Gunn even after the failure of last season.

In Lambert it would seem that we have targeted what / who we need as a manager rather than relying on a pile of CV''s and knee-jerk reactions. He is seemingly young and ambitious with experience in our division of operating on a limited budget and bringing out the best in the players available. He is also a known quantity to McNally which suggests a decent working relationship will be formed and in Culverhouse has brought in someone with links to and an understanding of our club.

Despite the rumours and speculation I don''t believe that any of the ''names'' linked with the job were serious candidates. Would Coppell or Strachan really stake their reputations and risk failing at a league 1 club with limited funds??

So all in all, this appointment ticks a lot of boxes and for once seems to be a well-thought out and sensible decision for a club in our position.

Of course in 6 months time if it goes horribly wrong, I will use hindsight again to say that it was yet another knee-jerk reaction to the 7-1 win but for now, I''m happy and congratulate McNally on bringing his experience and footballing knowledge to bear

And a proper chief exec. Doncaster came across as nothing more than a legally trained mouthpiece for D&M put in place to justify their decisions. Now it seems as though we have a man who will be making the decisions and run the club properly.

I just hope our owners realise that they should leave him to get on with it

[quote user="Stevo"]

Whilst not being ecstatic about the appointment of Paul Lambert, I''m definitely pleased by it and feel hopeful that he''s ''a round peg for a round hole''.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think our history of appointments has demonstrated the previously shallow thought process of the board in making their decisions....

Peter Grant was an attempt to mimic the appointment of Aidy Boothroyd who had shown the potential benefits of appointing a young, ambitious coach as manager.

When that went horribly wrong because he was out of his depth and had no contacts, they simply went for the opposite in Roeder. An experienced manager with ''great links'' to premier league clubs.

When that went horribly worng because he was unpopular and didn''t ''understand'' the club and it''s fans, they simply went for the opposite again in Gunn. A fan''s favourite and club legend to bring back the feel good factor and win back the fans.

Shallow and simple decision making from a board made up of willing and decent people but who are sadly lacking when it comes to understanding how to run a football club. Demonstrated perfectly by the re-appointment and recent backing of Gunn even after the failure of last season.

In Lambert it would seem that we have targeted what / who we need as a manager rather than relying on a pile of CV''s and knee-jerk reactions. He is seemingly young and ambitious with experience in our division of operating on a limited budget and bringing out the best in the players available. He is also a known quantity to McNally which suggests a decent working relationship will be formed and in Culverhouse has brought in someone with links to and an understanding of our club.

Despite the rumours and speculation I don''t believe that any of the ''names'' linked with the job were serious candidates. Would Coppell or Strachan really stake their reputations and risk failing at a league 1 club with limited funds??

So all in all, this appointment ticks a lot of boxes and for once seems to be a well-thought out and sensible decision for a club in our position.

Of course in 6 months time if it goes horribly wrong, I will use hindsight again to say that it was yet another knee-jerk reaction to the 7-1 win but for now, I''m happy and congratulate McNally on bringing his experience and footballing knowledge to bear

[/quote]

A sensible post, well said

This is the happiest I''ve been about a new manager for a long time. Don''t get me wrong, I''m not exactly doing cartwheels yet, he''s not Arsene Wenger afterall, but we were never going to get Arsene Wenger, or Steve Coppell, or Gordon Strachen.I agree that he''s a round peg in a round hole, something that our previous managers haven''t been. I''m getting a greater sense that this could go well than in the past. I''m feeling, well, a little (and only a little), dare I say, optimistic. We need to lose a game, and fast! I''m not used to this strange sensation. ;o)  

[quote user="colneycanary"]Yep, I''m happy too. I think Mcnally knows what he''s doing. It''s nice to have a proper manager in charge for once![/quote]

and happy here too. one thing for him, he must have balls and think he can achieve something here. I mean he is taking over less than 2 weeks after seeing us stuffed 7 -1 with fans running on the pitch trying to get at the then manager. gotta be impressed with that [Y]