Sign in to follow this  
Next door to Boyer

With the selection of Capt & Vice Capt's has Gunny given a big clue to his favoured starting 11 ?

Doc has been made Capt with Nelson and Gill as vice Capt''s.You can possibly assume then that the prefered starting centre backs will be Doc & Nelson. Using that logic Gill will also start and apart from 1 forward position I feel the other places are favoured by those of experience.Hence I feel the likely starting 11 to be;GK: Theoklitos.RB: Ostemobor CB''s: Doc & Nelson LB: Drury.RM: Whalley CM''s: Gill & Hughes LM: Hoolahan.FWD: Holt & ?

Any other thoughts ?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]It certainly indicates Doherty will start but perhaps he felt Gill or Nelson were leaders but aren''t likely to start every game so are only vice-captains[/quote]I think you make a reasonable enough judgement but I have a strong feeling as Gunn has previously stated he''d like ''leaders all over the pitch'' that Nelson & Gill would be very likely to start.The only reservation I have about my selection, is that the pairing of Hughes and Gill would be a little on the short side and most sides have a ''big un'' in one of the central midfield positions.

Captain (and to an extent vice-Captain) will have alot to do with the players personality, possibly more than their actual playing.  Gunn seems to feel Doherty, Nelson and Gill have the right kind of personality to promote them as leaders of the team and an example for the rest to follow.What it is not to much of a stretch to say is that at least one of Doherty and Nelson will start pretty much every match, since they are two of the three experienced central defenders currently contracted to the club.I don''t think it says much about who will actually start against Colchester, but a central pairing of Doc and Nelson would not be unlikely imo, given the absence of Stefanovic from preseason.

With it now being 7 subs allowed on matchday you would feel that Doc, Nelson and Gill would be in at least the 18 man squad week in week out with one of Doc or Nelson starting (my guess is that they will pair up together) so there will always be plenty of leaders in the changing room getting everyone up for the game.

So in my eyes at least one of them will be in the starting 11  

Midfield of Tudor Jones and Hughes more liely if Hughes is fit.  Otherwise Gill and Hughes I feel, unless they think Adeymni is worth throwing in early.Left back - on current form I would say Lappin ahead of hoolahan, especially as he offers a sweeter left foot for early balls into the box.Whaley also looks well off the pace, and on current performances I would say McVeigh.

[quote user="Next door to Boyer"]Doc has been made Capt with Nelson and Gill as vice Capt''s.You can possibly assume then that the prefered starting centre backs will be Doc & Nelson. Using that logic Gill will also start and apart from 1 forward position I feel the other places are favoured by those of experience.Hence I feel the likely starting 11 to be;GK: Theoklitos.RB: Ostemobor CB''s: Doc & Nelson LB: Drury.RM: Whalley CM''s: Gill & Hughes LM: Hoolahan.FWD: Holt & ?

Any other thoughts ?
[/quote]

I think the fact that he names 3 leaders means that he keeps the competition going. Doc can''t be complacent just because he has the armband because there are nominated leaders who can step in without a murmer if his form drops. Sorry, did I say if?!!!

[quote user="ACE"]Midfield of Tudor Jones and Hughes more liely if Hughes is fit.  Otherwise Gill and Hughes I feel, unless they think Adeymni is worth throwing in early.Left back - on current form I would say Lappin ahead of hoolahan, especially as he offers a sweeter left foot for early balls into the box.Whaley also looks well off the pace, and on current performances I would say McVeigh.

[quote user="Next door to Boyer"]Doc has been made Capt with Nelson and Gill as vice Capt''s.You can possibly assume then that the prefered starting centre backs will be Doc & Nelson. Using that logic Gill will also start and apart from 1 forward position I feel the other places are favoured by those of experience.Hence I feel the likely starting 11 to be;GK: Theoklitos.RB: Ostemobor CB''s: Doc & Nelson LB: Drury.RM: Whalley CM''s: Gill & Hughes LM: Hoolahan.FWD: Holt & ?

Any other thoughts ?
[/quote][/quote]Left back - on current form I would say

Lappin ahead of hoolahan, especially as he offers a sweeter left foot

for early balls into the box.

Whaley also looks well off the pace, and on current performances I would say McVeigh.

Left back, you mean left midfield !  And on current form I''d have to

disagree that Lappin would be ahead of Hoolahan, apart from the fact

Hoolahan is our most gifted and creative player, match reports have

stated he was running the show while he was on the pitch. However, they

could both play if Hoolahan was chosen to play the role supporting the

forward.

As you pointed out Whalley is ''off the pace'' or needs more fitness work

but having seen McVeigh looking very portley himmself (although he has

played ok/well), I think that within the next 2 weeks and 3 friendlies

Whalley should catch up McVeigh in fitness.