Sign in to follow this  
Rasputin was a C...

Oi Baggies, It's a Marathon not a Mars... I mean sprint!!

Since their win many baggies on t''internet seem to think they''re safe from the drop. Also those City fans who are on here and other such boards complaining about not winning yet, remember we still have a long way to go and a win or two and we''re back in the pack.

"Keep the faith" if you want, in my opinion faith ain''t what we need, just support... like a well produced pair of undergarments.

Presumably you mean the compression pants that, rumour has it, the clubshop will be selling from anytime now!!!

I hope some West Brom and Crystal Palace fans continue to believe that ''one win doth a season make'' as that could be to our advantage ultimately; however, I think that most of them will be realists, like ourselves, and will only believe that ''it ain''t over till it''s over''.  Certainly, Iain Dowie and Gary Megson are not stupid enough to let their players believe they''re home and dry from now on.  Looking at the table right now it appears to be any three from about nine...but that could change as two or three will push up into the middle leaving the rest to scrap.  If nothing else it will be very interesting. 

Oh dear! I must admit that I was pretty gutted last night as well.

I know I will probably get stick for this but ...it has to be said; I cannot go with this "we don''t deserve to be bottom" thing that’s generally thought.

We''re bottom because we have the worse playing record, thus far, of the 20 clubs in that league. So, therefore, we deserve to be bottom, fair do''s, we''ve played some big, big clubs during that time, but we''ve also drawn games (Palace, Pompey) that we should have won, if we had, that would have given us a total of 9 points by now, and we''d be a lot further up the table.

Of course, the position we truly deserve to be in is the one we are at after 38 games, so it doesn''t really matter until then. As long as we''re not bottom at Christmas, there is the old "if you''re bottom at Christmas" thing, but its also the time, Christmas/New Year when the table starts to reflect the true standings of each team in the league, although, even then, there’s usually one club which has a great run from then until May (us, hopefully!) And one, which plummets from the top eight or so into the relegation picture (and that was us in 1994-95!).

Its like the other tired old saying "too good to go down", plenty of clubs have said that over the years, plenty of them have gone down. So lets not get into this "don''t deserve to be bottom" lark either, because, paradoxically, when people were saying we didn''t deserve to be top last season, we certainly didn''t agree with it then.

We now have to get that first win even more-the only club in the Prem without a win, that’s going to start to weight on a few peoples shoulders, lets hope it doesn''t become a millstone. WBA is vital, a must MUST win, the proverbial six pointer and I hope we go for it, rather than adopting a timid formation and going for the draw. Seven points from our next three games is feasible, we might be 15th-16th if that is the case, and then we''ll deserve to be there, just as, today, we deserve to be bottom. It doesn''t mean we''re the worse club-May will tell us if we are or not, but, right now, that’s where we are, and it reflects our start.

Things will get better, a win on Saturday week will take the pressure off the players, and shut the media up, because this "first win" thing is going to be big news for a while now, just as Leeds are always "cash strapped", then we are, for at least another 11 days or so, "winless Norwich".

The football league is upside down ...

meeky

you are not going to like this, but here goes

i was not gutted last night, saw the same game as you and thought palace were lucky to take advantage of a jaded and generally disinterested fulham, this is not unique to selhurst, we will also meet teams on off days too

we are bottom after a few games, agreed we have wasted valuable time on worthless diamond (non attacking gem) formations, but at least that lesson has been learnt!  We are certainly not too good to go down, no one is, but those four or five teams above us are not world beaters, they just haven''t had the start we have!! 

Not bottom at christmas, trust me, we won''t be - it is also said the team that comes up as champions rarely goes straight back down, comfort yourself with the knowledge of that, and that we are (over a  season) much better than west brom and palace - and hopefully a couple of others in this league too

the reason for relegation in 94/95 is history and will not happen again - if it were to happen this time it will be due to us persisting with the old target man long ball approach (my only worry incidentially)

if we can get to grips with passing to our own team (hopefully on the grass)  playing our genuine eleven strongest players in each position (don''t let go of greeno in jan) and start believing we can win a game, we will be okay

chill man!!  you need to

We are bottom because, although 5, yes FIVE, teams have lost more games than us so far, we are the only team who haven''t won a game.

It''s not a case of "are we too good to go down?", it''s "are we good enough to stay up?"

Personally, I think we are good enough. The signs are encouraging and the performance levels are certainly higher than last season, but, of course, they need to be.

The only concern has to be a loss of confidence, due to our league position, but all the noises currently coming out of Colney suggest that this is not the case.

Hi Canaries, Palace fan here.

I think all three promoted teams knew we''d struggle, but the results so far have done nobody justice. Palace have been nowhere near as bad as the papers or MOTD have suggested. We''ve given everybody a game and been in with a chance until the last minute in every match. We could have beaten villa easily and should have buried Fulham last night (we''d have won even against 11 men, as our performance in the first 5 mins was hungry and Fulham didn''t look up for it).

I think you guys will get a win soon - you''ve had a very difficult start and I think you''ll be okay - should have beaten Portsmouth. And you''ll be playing some mid-table teams soon, and by the law of averages you''ll catch one or two on an off day (like we did Villa and Fulham). hope you do get a win too - would rather see any of the others go down.

Don''t worry, Palace fans far from think we''re safe - far from it! But we''re really pleased that we''ve proved we''re not as totally awful as most people thought. I hope that people continue to underestimate us though, the same goes for you guys.

From what I''ve seen Southampton and Blackburn are as bad as anyone, and there''ll be a team with a dramatic fall from a big team as there always is, so there''s hope.

I''d love to see Palace, Norwich and WBA stay up, just so all those dismissing tw@ts on telly who haven''t seen any of us play have to eat some humble pie.

Good luck (though not at Selhurst!)

cheers palace fan, I too hope that the three of us stay up. Who knows, it could even be Saints, Blackburn & no disrespect to you, but after last nights performance, Fulham!

[quote]Oh dear! I must admit that I was pretty gutted last night as well. I know I will probably get stick for this[/quote]

Hurrah for a dose of pragmatism...

but it''s not over til the fat lady sings (and I don''t mean "On The Ball City")