Sign in to follow this  
If I had the wings of  a sparrow

Beckham reckons he's clever

Mr Beckham by stating that you deliberately committed a foul against Wales in order to receive a yellow card I believe that FIFA will give you an extended ban & possible fine. Admitting to the foul may not have been such a clever move. Look at Iwan he admiited to fouling Muscat & received a fine & 3-match ban, I relaise this was handed down by a different governing body but FIFA are generally stricter than the FA.

I think most people knew why Beckham made the challenge at the time, i''m only surprised that he admitted it. I''d be very surprised if he gets an extended ban and can only see FIFA giving him a slap over the knuckles. There is also a fair bit of difference between a "mis-timed" shoulder barge and an attempted stamp

The yellow card exists to deter foul play not to enhance future playing prospects. The ruling body could see it as cocking a snoot at their judical system and act accordingly.

Anyway I think Becks did his rush-of-blood-to-brain routine then in the cold light of day cooked up some facts to fit the events so as to save face.

If he wanted a yellow, why on earth didn''t he catch the ball or some such, then wouldn''t have risked injuring another player. Selfish? Though of course isn''t every foul deemed to be deliberate?

i think everyone thought the same thing when he came out with this priceless line - that is, "you''re obvioulsy not clever enough to know when to keep your gob shut!"

[quote]If he wanted a yellow, why on earth didn''t he catch the ball or some such, then wouldn''t have risked injuring another player. Selfish? Though of course isn''t every foul deemed to be deliberate?[/quote]

On the contrary I would have thought that the vast majority of fouls are indeed simple errors of judgement with no deliberate intent; mistimed tackles with a genuine attempt to play the ball

The deliberate, or ''professional'', foul is outlawed and should be classed as an instant dismissal - hand ball on the line, dragging back the striker through on goals etc. I would include shirt pulling in this -clearly an knowing act against the rules but overlooked and accepted by the game far to easily. Pushing at corners is another.

OTBC