Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

NCISA.

Wonder if the last 3 columns by NCISA committee members John Wilkinson, Vic Hopes and this weeks Daphne Griffiths, all who were sympathetic towards Roeder, talked up his removal. [:D]

Excert from Daphne''s column this week,

It amazes me that football supporters, not usually renowned for their delicate constitutions, have been so easily upset by a few words from the manager.  His comments at the AGM were a little unwise, but the vilification he has received from many fans has been totally unwarranted.

To those over-sensitive fans who are having problems with the manager - try cheering and singing for your team instead of booing: it might be more effective.

I see what you mean about a mixture of views on your committee now because its obvious from posts on here that Tilly, Kathy, Gazza and Face thought his time were up, so thats 4-3 so far out of the 7 of you who have posted their feelings.

CA you obviously didn''t like what you saw as "sympathetic" treatment of Roeder in the last 3 NCISA columns. I haven''t been unduly sympathetic of a manager who was unable to create any consistency on the pitch. I wasn''t unduly impressed by his tactics or the team performance on Tuesday. There were no tactics - and the team were dire.

In spite of a promising start Roeder lost the plot this season - our league position and some awful performances are the evidence.

However I don''t like seeing anyone - players or manager - subjected to the crowd reaction we saw on Tuesday night. This is my personal view.

Doncaster was right in what he said today - Roeder and the management team would have been lambs to the slaughter if they had been around on Saturday.

So perhaps we have got the right result - but in a way that highlights for me 2 serious problems with our club.

One is the weakness of our Board - who are past their sell-by date - but with whom we are stuck at the moment. To publicly state that they sacked Roeder to save him from the fans shows total incompetence. To sack a manager without any process to replace him when we are in danger of relegation - more incompetence. To think they could get away with an enquiry about Worthington without this getting into the Press - unbelievable naivety.

The second point is where I am currently at odds with most people. I am concerned about the role of the fans in all this. The article you quote from was about booing players and management. The lack of confidence shown by the team on Tuesday was aggravated by the booing of every mistake. This was particularly noticeable with Bell in the second half. The fans have got their way - and yes, we are entitled to voice our feelings and be listened to - but not to run the club.

Coming to the excerpt you quote: as you know, I was at the AGM. I knew Roeder was hitting all the wrong notes with that audience. When he was appointed, the NCISA committee had a meeting - and one or two of us said they were not keen on Roeder - and didn''t much like the way he talked. I said at the time that Roeder comes from a part of London where I lived for years - the way he expresses himself is very typical of that area. I am still surprised at how incensed reaction was at the AGM and ever since.

It would be really interesting to know how fans would be treating Roeder if we were in the top half of the table and he was still here. I guess he would never have been a popular manager - too much of a cultural divide!

So goodbye Glenn - in the end you couldn''t get the results and had to go. It is such a pity that this was done in a unsatisfactory and embarrassing way.

Thanks for replying Daphne [:)]

I didn''t say anywhere that I didn''t like or disagree with you 3 being sympathetic towards Roeder, I just stated that you all were.

I wasn''t there on Tuesday night so can''t comment on the crowd''s reaction but if we were as poor as people have posted we were together with our worrying league position then there was always going to be protests and chants. I''m sure he''s heard it all before and realises that its just part of the job.

As for the AGM, yes he did himself no favours, maybe it is part of the London culture to talk to people like that but having met you I can''t believe that you would ever be that rude, arrogant or downright nasty when talking to people so don''t make that an excuse for his behaviour.

Point of my post was just to point out what Tilly/Kathy have been saying recently that life isn''t clear cut when there''s such a difference of views on your committee which presumeably makes it difficult for you guys and girls to decide on any action that needs to be taken.

As it is he''s gone now so that makes your next committee meeting a bit shorted hopefully [:D]

Thanks for the character reference CA!!!

We can all hope for a shorter meeting, but that''s never going to happen! Mainly because we have to spend so long finding mutual ground to agree on!

Let''s hope for a great response from the fans tomorrow, Gunny certainly doesn''t deserve any abuse!

[quote user="old yellow bird"]Thanks for the character reference CA!!! We can all hope for a shorter meeting, but that''s never going to happen! Mainly because we have to spend so long finding mutual ground to agree on! Let''s hope for a great response from the fans tomorrow, Gunny certainly doesn''t deserve any abuse![/quote]

We''ll win tomorrow but even if we didn''t there would be no abuse for Gunny, he''s too well respected and loved by the fans.

Again, the division in thinking and action by the fanbase is highlighted over the match on Tuesday.

CA - you didn''t have to be there to realise it was bad. It was one of those games you just want to end as quickly as possible. So bad our predicament at that moment in time that the reality of being booted out of the FA Cup 3rd round (again!) was almost a non event. But I don''t think most people really cared about that on the night, what they were reacting to was the fact the team just didn''t turn up (for whatever reason).

There were only a couple of players, three at most, on the pitch who gave any sort of performance. It spoke volumes of just what state this club is now in and a reflection on what the players'' current state of mind is. Whether that is the fault of the support I am uncertain. More likey I think it''s a build up of the whole season and the fact they had had just about all they could take of the whole situation they find themselves in, including working with Roeder.

The atmosphere in the Lower Barclay was resigned to another defeat and as the performance grew steadily worse and the time ticked down it only took a couple of Roeder Out chants to unleash the pent up emotions of hundreds of fans. I can''t speak for the other stands, but a lot of people were booing - though I don''t think the majority of that was directed at the players.

Personally I think the fanbase as a whole have been incredibly patient, perhaps too much so. Perhaps the wrath was misguided and should have been directed at the board rather than the manager. It''s all a very highly subjective matter really.

CA - you are right to suggest I thought Roeder should go and I think it was perhaps fitting he went in the way he did. Always eager enough to snipe at fans, the media etc he was subjected to quite a few opinions from quite a few fans. The fact he lost his job was not down to the fans and their opinions on him, more to the fact we had just been beaten by a team who (incredibly) were doing even worse than us, and of course one of many similar performances and results which led us to where we are now in the table. We showed no fight, no creativity and no hope.

The ground was half empty and a perfect example to the board of how Carrow Road might look should we be relegated.

Old Yella Bird. I don''t like to see anyone subjected to boos or targetted as Roeder was, if they don''t fully deserve it. Worthington endured a much longer campaign against him, and I can''t remember him really alienating supporters in the same way. Roeder had really only one match were there were sustained shouts for him to go. I don''t know if there were personal insults directed at him outside the ground later as I wasn''t there.

Roeder came into Carrow Road and acted as he did, alienating a lot of fans, he probably did himself no favours by booting out a lot of players and failing to replace them with superior talent, but his treatment of Huckerby and the ridiculous farce over Neil Adams showed him for what he was.

I haven''t lived in the area of London Roeder comes from and I am quite happy for that! The AM showed he was completely uncaring of what supporters thought and god forbid they hold an opinion other than his. It was perhaps significant that after the AGM strains of Glenn Roeder''s Green and Yellow Army were muted, if heard at all.

I certainly won''t be spilling any tears over his departure but like many fans, really fear for the capabilities of the board in finding his replacement.