Sign in to follow this  
Stevie Wonder

Thoughts on the summer signings?

We have played 5 league games now and whilst results have been somewhat mixed the performances have been pretty good. The team is almost unrecognizable from that which we saw during the QPR game (the final home game last season) - only a handful of that team can be classed as 1st choice currently. We have seen a number of new arrivals and pleasingly most of them appear to be decent players and have settled in well;

• Stefanovic looks absolutely top drawer at this level. The commanding centre bck we have been missing since Malky left.
  • Kennedy looks a decent player although he does look like a player trying to regain former glories. Has been at fault for a couple of the goals we have conceded but will hopefully continue ti improve.
  • Owusuzi. Still settling in, prone to the odd rash tackle and not as effective going forward as Semmy. However, he is clearly very highly thought of at Fulham and again I think he will improve with more games.
  • Bertrand - whilst technically not a new player getting him was a real bonus. The boy is absolute quality and probably the best left back in the division.
  • Hoolahan - has started well despite the well publicised criticism from Roeder after the Cardiff game. Wonderful left foot and a good eye for a pass. Need to see more goal threat from him though.
  • Clingan - I have been very impressed by him so far. Calm, unruffled and goes about his business in a quiet but effective manner. The kind of good holding player every team needs. Also impressed watching him for Northern Ireland where he got forward much more than he has so far for us.
  • Lupoli - after looking a bit rusty in his opening couple of games the goals have begun to flow and he looks like he will be a real handful. Potentially one of the best players in the division.
  • Sibierski - only one game so far but a goal and an assist is a pretty useful start. He looks to be the final piece of the jigsaw.
  • Bell - not seen yet of course but will hopefully be the one to provide some goals from midfield.
  • Koroma - looks a little raw and is not in Evans class currently. Not sure about him yet.
  • Archibald-Henville & Grounds. Back up players only?

Overall, the plus points in the new players clearly outweigh the minuses. Good times ahead?

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

Overall, the plus points in the new players clearly outweigh the minuses. Good times ahead?

[/quote]Will be interesting to see the amount spent on fees, but it''s mind-boggling to think how well GR has done with a very limited budget. The point remains, could he have actually done any better?

[quote user="Salahuddin"]Imagine what he could do with an actual transfer budget![/quote]Absolutely... and add to that, the fact he will probably only have to add a few faces to IMPROVE the squad, rather than REPLACE it, and it makes for a happy future.

Half full vs Half empty

Most of the players you mention are on Hire Purchase and due to go back to their won clubs in January.  Not exactly building for the future is he?

[quote user="Sherlock Holmes"]

Half full vs Half empty

Most of the players you mention are on Hire Purchase and due to go back to their won clubs in January.  Not exactly building for the future is he?

[/quote]I agree in some ways, but disagree in others, yes 8 out of the 12 summer signings are on loan, which is alarming, however first of all, some of the best ones so far are permanent, ie Clingan, Dejan and Wes.  With Bell highly anticipated.  It would take an astronomical investment to buy 12players in one summer, huge!  But This is the first step.Out of the 8, only 5 are regular first teamers - Troy, Grounds and the Korona guy are not.  And how much of a future do Kennedy, Lupoli and Antoine have at their parent clubs?  Bruce said Antoine was available on a free, Lupoli''s goal record in Italy is poor / dreadful, and celtic have a fair few centre halfs.  If the players decide they are desperate to stay, we could sign them up relatively cheaplyand be part of the building - certainly the case with Lupoli.

Agreed Gissing, I think Omozusi will be heading back to Fulham. Bertrand Im not sure on, i''d like to see him here permanently.

I think Sibierski will be signed, i have a feeling the loan was only made so Roeder could bring him in, due to lack of funds, but with the Shackell money and any else im sure it will be made permanent in January.