Sign in to follow this  
Wembley_Canary

Norwich Board refuses to talk to Cullum

This whole saga just get''s thicker and thicker

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=NOED03%20Jul%202008%2020%3A53%3A02%3A453

Cullum Quote:

“I''m surprised and at a loss as to why the Norwich City board has not accepted my offer to sit down with them next week to progress this matter further. My offer of investment was focused on buying new players to give Norwich City a fighting chance of returning to the Premiership."

“This was a potential lifeline for the club coupled with a great opportunity to be a contender for next season. The alternative is the prospect of another season fighting against relegation to the First Division. With the new season just around the corner, it''s vitally important that we conclude this matter soon for the sake of the manager and fans who deserve better in general.”

What on earth are the board playing at, I can not see any reason as to why the Norwich board don''t want to sit down and talk to Peter Cullum about his potential investment. I understand that the last time he spoke to Delia back in October, herself and the rest of the Norwich Board deemed his offer as unacceptable, but that''s no reason to refuse to meet up with him now and see if they can arrange a deal. If this is true then the Board are only putting more pressure on themself by refuseing to talk to the very man who could be the key to a strong promotion bid next season.

Sort it out Delia!!!

Your thoughts...

This is absolutely crazy by our board and they are not going to win many friends if they carry on with this childish behavior! Does Delia and Co really think the fans are going to let this go, and we all forget about it all?

I expect the Board the release a statement from the club very soon to somehow explain their side, if they don''t then there takeing us all for mugs!

[quote user="West_London_Canary"]

I expect the Board the release a statement from the club very soon to somehow explain their side, if they don''t then there takeing us all for mugs!

[/quote]

Totally agree, there must be a full explanation to the fans as to why talks are not underway ( Unless this is all just a smokescreen until all the new signings are completed, if so, then well done Delia + PC but don''t do it again please, my blood pressure can''t handle it!)

[quote user="colneycanary"]If the board keep refusing to meet Peter Cullum how long do we give it, and what is our best plan of action?[/quote]

If this offer is turned down, the only way to get D''s attention is to boycott the games and get 10,000 standing outside the ground chanting "Delia Out" with megaphones.

Absolutely crazy!

Yes, the deal in the ''Public Domain'' may be unacceptable to the current board, but how is any compromise going to be reached unless everyone sits down in private and sorts this out.

It''s not everyday that an investor comes along with the tune of £20 Million pounds on the table, and refusal to even sit down with Cullum is absurd!

With the lack of news coming from Carrow Road this week - something is smelling extremely fishy!!

By the way West_London_Canary, where in WL are you....I''m in St Margarets, Richmond and was beginning to think I was the only canary in the mine!

[quote user="colneycanary"]If the board keep refusing to meet Peter Cullum how long do we give it, and what is our best plan of action?[/quote]

IF the Board don''t at the very least come out and explain their actions within the next few days then I would expect that Delia and Co will well and truely hear no end of anti Board songs when the season starts from the Norwich fans. None the less even if they do give their side on what Cullum has told the EDP, then there still surely can''t be any excuse for them not to at the very least talking to Cullum, this is just ridiculas and the Board will have only themself to blaim for the ever growing support Petter Cullum seems to be getting.

[quote user="SAFU2007"]By the way West_London_Canary, where in WL are you....I''m in St Margarets, Richmond and was beginning to think I was the only canary in the mine![/quote]

I sent you a PM

It sounds like talks aren''t underway because he still hasn''t made an offer to buy the shares yet. Whilst the implied offer of £20 million in the transfer kitty in return for the majority ownership of the club might be great for the fans it isn''t great for the shareholders.Whilst I would like the board to be open about what is going on, they have made clear what their asking price is. Now it''s time for PC be clarify the exact details of what his offer is. Perhaps the board think there has been no progress on PC''s side since discussions last took place and therefore further discussions aren''t worthwhile at this point in time.We only know the details that the board and PC wish to be made public.

[quote user="2Cakes"]It sounds like talks aren''t underway because he still hasn''t made an offer to buy the shares yet. Whilst the implied offer of £20 million in the transfer kitty in return for the majority ownership of the club might be great for the fans it isn''t great for the shareholders.

Whilst I would like the board to be open about what is going on, they have made clear what their asking price is. Now it''s time for PC be clarify the exact details of what his offer is. Perhaps the board think there has been no progress on PC''s side since discussions last took place and therefore further discussions aren''t worthwhile at this point in time.

We only know the details that the board and PC wish to be made public.
[/quote]

But from what is in the ''Public Domain'' we know that the Board are refusing to sit down and discuss what is likely to be the biggest possible investment into Norwich for years to come.

How do our curent board know what PC is likely to compromise on, unless they sit down at a table with him and discuss the matter?

PC is obviously not going to give a full break down of what he is prepared to put up to the Public Domain, and unless all parties sit down then this investment is going nowhere!

[quote user="2Cakes"]It sounds like talks aren''t underway because he still hasn''t made an offer to buy the shares yet. Whilst the implied offer of £20 million in the transfer kitty in return for the majority ownership of the club might be great for the fans it isn''t great for the shareholders.

Whilst I would like the board to be open about what is going on, they have made clear what their asking price is. Now it''s time for PC be clarify the exact details of what his offer is. Perhaps the board think there has been no progress on PC''s side since discussions last took place and therefore further discussions aren''t worthwhile at this point in time.

[/quote]

I agree with what you say but the club is leading us to believe that they are not even entering discussions ( the seem to be treating PC the same way a double glazing salesman would. Contentious and arrogant if you ask me.

Cullum is very shrewd,  He is trying to stage an agresive take over through the media using us fans as a lever. I am sure we will hear from the board soon putting their side of the story but if he still keeps waving the "If they don''t take my offer they will struggle" in front of the fans noses who will listen to the board?. P.C. is playing the fans like a stradivarius Violin ( very well ). If this keeps up no one will care if it is good for the club long term or if the offer is fair to the present owners, all the focus will be on fear that we will get relegated if we dont let the white knight ride to the rescue. I know we need investment to progress and soon but I am beginning to dislike this guy and his methods. He is taking the fans for fools as much as the present board it is just that the "spoon full of sugar" is very big

[quote user="West_London_Canary"]

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=NOED03%20Jul%202008%2020%3A53%3A02%3A453

Cullum Quote:

“I''m surprised and at a loss as to why the Norwich City board has not accepted my offer to sit down with them next week to progress this matter further. My offer of investment was focused on buying new players to give Norwich City a fighting chance of returning to the Premiership."

“This was a potential lifeline for the club coupled with a great opportunity to be a contender for next season. The alternative is the prospect of another season fighting against relegation to the First Division. With the new season just around the corner, it''s vitally important that we conclude this matter soon for the sake of the manager and fans who deserve better in general.”

What on earth are the board playing at, I can not see any reason as to why the Norwich board don''t want to sit down and talk to Peter Cullum about his potential investment. I understand that the last time he spoke to Delia back in October, herself and the rest of the Norwich Board deemed his offer as unacceptable, but that''s no reason to refuse to meet up with him now and see if they can arrange a deal. If this is true then the Board are only putting more pressure on themself by refuseing to talk to the very man who could be the key to a strong promotion bid next season.

Sort it out Delia!!!

Your thoughts...

[/quote]

Cullum Quote is in "a statement" - not an interview - As he has only made contact with a board member and not made any sort of formal approach why would the board want to sit down with him?

How about the following quotes from the EDP article:

"City chiefs remained unwilling to speak publicly about the increasingly complex saga last night - but the EDP understands no discussions will be held with him until he makes a formal offer for Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones'' shares."

It is only increasingly complex because the EDP says so.

"The news of the growing impasse will be met with disbelief by tens of thousands of City fans who had seen the “Cullum cash” as the only real chance of getting the shot in the arm needed to challenge in today''s mega bucks football world."

Tens of thousands eh? Who do they think we are? Some of us live in the real world. All of them are pretty shrewd financial managers are they? And £20m will be enough to get us out of the Championship next Season? There are no other options available? All complete and utter speculative tosh!

"They are asking: “Where else is the money going to come from?”"

Admittedly I am not in Norwich to hear the question being asked but for this question to be raised there is a need for the amount involved to be taken as a given that it is required. And there needs to be a back up for this statement. My reading of the message boards other than the wrath of the barclay which has remained sane is not "where else is the money coming from" but "this man is god why won''t you simply stand aside and let him take over" a totally different question.- At the moment one of the people not publically asking this question is Glenn Roeder - so if he is happy with the cash he has available then so should the fans be.

Message boards have been flooded with hundreds of postings since the EDP broke the news of Mr Cullum and almost 90pc of fans have voted on an EDP24 poll to get him involved with the club.

Now to take the "tens of thousand to its lowest possible number of two (20,000) and taking 90% of that we get 18,000 so 20,000 fans have voted on the EDP poll and 18,000 want him involved with the club? I would think not. 90% of the votes (and if you are quoting facts you need to advise the sample size) have indicated "involvement" - this is not 90% want him to have control.

As an excercise in Spin Archant have done very well on an interview and an email - even by drip feeding the story onto the net the day before and then blocking the Internet until 9.00am to create a speculative splash on the net - note this story was available on the net at 6.00am

Cue up another day of idle ignorant stabbing of the board ignoring totally the key and probably only truthful paragraph in the "report"

"City chiefs remained unwilling to speak publicly about the increasingly complex saga last night - but the EDP understands no discussions will be held with him until he makes a formal offer for Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones'' shares."

1. The EDP has not been able to make contact with the board but they have not made any public statement so we are spinning this as much as we can.

2. We understand that they are saying put up or shut up.

3. Peter Cullum has not put up merely "had a friendly arm wrestle" in october last year which he obviously lost and is not prepared to increase his offer.

The rest is all SPIN.

[quote user="sturgeon220"]Cullum is very shrewd,  He is trying to stage an agresive take over through the media using us fans as a lever. I am sure we will hear from the board soon putting their side of the story but if he still keeps waving the "If they don''t take my offer they will struggle" in front of the fans noses who will listen to the board?. P.C. is playing the fans like a stradivarius Violin ( very well ). If this keeps up no one will care if it is good for the club long term or if the offer is fair to the present owners, all the focus will be on fear that we will get relegated if we dont let the white knight ride to the rescue. I know we need investment to progress and soon but I am beginning to dislike this guy and his methods. He is taking the fans for fools as much as the present board it is just that the "spoon full of sugar" is very big
[/quote]

What other methods can he use to put his point across?

If the Board refuse to compromise in THEIR asking price, and refuse to enter into negotiations before PC states that he wants to buy DS & MWJ shares then i dont see that PC has any other options available to him.

Maybe a little persuading horses head anyone ? this may hurry things along

[quote user="Forces2Canaries"]

[/quote]

But from what is in the ''Public Domain'' we know that the Board are refusing to sit down and discuss what is likely to be the biggest possible investment into Norwich for years to come.

How do our curent board know what PC is likely to compromise on, unless they sit down at a table with him and discuss the matter?

PC is obviously not going to give a full break down of what he is prepared to put up to the Public Domain, and unless all parties sit down then this investment is going nowhere!

[/quote]

Agreed and that''s why I find the whole thing ridiculas, if someone wanted to talk to you about a potential investment with your business then you would at the very least arrange a meeting to discuss the potential investment (especially in Norwich''s case when the person is a billionaire who just happens to be a fan of the club), the worst thing that can happen is simply that the Board will refuse his offer because they don''t belive it''s acceptable, but you just don''t know that untill you sit down and speak with him, i''m sure Delia can take abit of time off from writeing her latest cookery book in order to try and secure the best investment Norwich City football club has ever had.

[quote user="sturgeon220"]Cullum is very shrewd,  He is trying to stage an agresive take over through the media using us fans as a lever. I am sure we will hear from the board soon putting their side of the story but if he still keeps waving the "If they don''t take my offer they will struggle" in front of the fans noses who will listen to the board?. P.C. is playing the fans like a stradivarius Violin ( very well ). If this keeps up no one will care if it is good for the club long term or if the offer is fair to the present owners, all the focus will be on fear that we will get relegated if we dont let the white knight ride to the rescue. I know we need investment to progress and soon but I am beginning to dislike this guy and his methods. He is taking the fans for fools as much as the present board it is just that the "spoon full of sugar" is very big[/quote]

If the Board refuse to compromise in THEIR asking price, and refuse to enter into negotiations before PC states that he wants to buy DS & MWJ shares then i dont see that PC has any other options available to him.

[/quote] He could make an offer for a start. According to the article this morning the board have not recieved one and will not sit down with him until he makes one. That seems reasonable to me. If there is no offer then all the rest is a PR exercise to put pressue on the board through the media and the fans. If he continues to do it this way he will tear this club apart!!  MAKE THE DAMM OFFER P.C. and then lets get talking.

[quote user="sturgeon220"]Cullum is very shrewd,  He is trying to stage an agresive take over through the media using us fans as a lever. I am sure we will hear from the board soon putting their side of the story but if he still keeps waving the "If they don''t take my offer they will struggle" in front of the fans noses who will listen to the board?. P.C. is playing the fans like a stradivarius Violin ( very well ). If this keeps up no one will care if it is good for the club long term or if the offer is fair to the present owners, all the focus will be on fear that we will get relegated if we dont let the white knight ride to the rescue. I know we need investment to progress and soon but I am beginning to dislike this guy and his methods. He is taking the fans for fools as much as the present board it is just that the "spoon full of sugar" is very big[/quote]

[/quote]I agree with you very much sturgeon. He is trying to get the club on the cheap, and is backing Delia and co. into a corner. Which is making them shut up shop (which I''m not sure is the right approach but can see why they are doing it).If Cullum really wants in, he should at least MAKE AN OFFER! and stop just talking about it.  TBH, I think it is now too late for an offer, Cullum should wait until the transfer window has closed or he risks completely ruining this club. Any take over will take at least 2 - 3 weeks to go through and we only have 1 month before the season begins. We can''t afford to miss out this vital transfer time, dealing with a potential take over. We all want a trasfer budget of 20m, but it is effectivly worthless if we can spend it.

Billionaire businessman Peter Cullum last night said he was “at a loss” at Norwich City board members'' refusal to meet him to discuss his £20m offer to bankroll a Premier League promotion push.

First paragraph - take it this is not deemed as an offer then?

[quote user="sturgeon220"][quote user="Forces2Canaries"]

[quote user="sturgeon220"]Cullum is very shrewd,  He is trying to stage an agresive take over through the media using us fans as a lever. I am sure we will hear from the board soon putting their side of the story but if he still keeps waving the "If they don''t take my offer they will struggle" in front of the fans noses who will listen to the board?. P.C. is playing the fans like a stradivarius Violin ( very well ). If this keeps up no one will care if it is good for the club long term or if the offer is fair to the present owners, all the focus will be on fear that we will get relegated if we dont let the white knight ride to the rescue. I know we need investment to progress and soon but I am beginning to dislike this guy and his methods. He is taking the fans for fools as much as the present board it is just that the "spoon full of sugar" is very big
[/quote]

[/quote] He could make an offer for a start. According to the article this morning the board have not recieved one and will not sit down with him until he makes one. That seems reasonable to me. If there is no offer then all the rest is a PR exercise to put pressue on the board through the media and the fans. If he continues to do it this way he will tear this club apart!!  MAKE THE DAMM OFFER P.C. and then lets get talking.
[/quote]

The only way pc can get a majority stake and invest his £20m without having to buy Delia and MWJ out is the allocation of new shares.  This MUST be the approach Cullum wants to take and it seems Delia wants a full buy-out or nothing.  Please enlighten me as to where "the good of the club" stands in all this?

[quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="Forces2Canaries"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed and that''s why I find the whole thing ridiculas, if someone wanted to talk to you about a potential investment with your business then you would at the very least arrange a meeting to discuss the potential investment (especially in Norwich''s case when the person is a billionaire who just happens to be a fan of the club), the worst thing that can happen is simply that the Board will refuse his offer because they don''t belive it''s acceptable, but you just don''t know that untill you sit down and speak with him, i''m sure Delia can take abit of time off from writeing her latest cookery book in order to try and secure the best investment Norwich City football club has ever had.

I struggle to understand this, when we had the idea of the norwich city kitty, we got things down on paper and prepared everything. I then e-mailed Neil Doncaster a couple of days later I recieved a phone call from Neil and he set up a meeting with him Andy Cullen and myself. Now if he does that for me with a potential of making some money why would he not do it for a man who already has mega bucks he could invest. Something is not right somewhere

[/quote]

Billionaire businessman Peter Cullum last night said he was “at a loss” at Norwich City board members'' refusal to meet him to discuss his £20m offer to bankroll a Premier League promotion push.

First paragraph - take it this is not deemed as an offer then?

[/quote] Not really, he wants to use that £20 mil to take control of the club but not be responsible for any other investment required or financing the day to day running or have anything to do with the debt repayments as far as I can see. No wonder the board are refusing to talk to him , He wants his cake and he wants it without any of the problems.

Agreed - from what is said in the papers!

But, as a businessman with £1.7 Billion assets, would you release the full details of your offer to the media?

All I am saying is, that if PC is prepared to ''offer'' £20 Million, how do the board know that this is not open for negotiation unless they sit down and discuss the matter.

The current comments are childish, and should be being discussed in private. It''s like saying you can come to my birthday party, but only providing you buy me a present and a cake. (Yes - I know - probably not the best analogy!)

Sorry sturgeon220 but your talking rubbish. As someone already said when someone has expressed interest in your business you at the very least arrange a meeting to discuss all the options. Our board should be bending over backwards to get more investment and not trying to scare it off. The way our board is reacting is pathetic!

Seems to me that Cullum is testing the resolve of the Board, and using the fans to put even more pressure on Delia.Two possible scenarios come immediately to mind;1. If he has told Andrew Turner that 20m is all there is right now, and that he has no intention of making an offer for Delia''s shares, for the full board to meet with him would be a sign of weakness. Under these circumstances they shouldn''t meet him until he expresses an interest inm making a formal offer for the shares2. If he has told Turner there might be more money, but he wants to meet face to face with Delia, they should meet with him to discuss.My money is on scenario 1. Hopefully we find out soon in a statement from the board.

[quote user="sxcanaree"][quote user="West_London_Canary"]

Cullum Quote:

Sort it out Delia!!!

Your thoughts...

[/quote]

Cullum Quote is in "a statement" - not an interview - As he has only made contact with a board member and not made any sort of formal approach why would the board want to sit down with him?

How about the following quotes from the EDP article:

It is only increasingly complex because the EDP says so.

"The news of the growing impasse will be met with disbelief by tens of thousands of City fans who had seen the “Cullum cash” as the only real chance of getting the shot in the arm needed to challenge in today''s mega bucks football world."

Tens of thousands eh? Who do they think we are? Some of us live in the real world. All of them are pretty shrewd financial managers are they? And £20m will be enough to get us out of the Championship next Season? There are no other options available? All complete and utter speculative tosh!

"They are asking: “Where else is the money going to come from?”"

Admittedly I am not in Norwich to hear the question being asked but for this question to be raised there is a need for the amount involved to be taken as a given that it is required. And there needs to be a back up for this statement. My reading of the message boards other than the wrath of the barclay which has remained sane is not "where else is the money coming from" but "this man is god why won''t you simply stand aside and let him take over" a totally different question.- At the moment one of the people not publically asking this question is Glenn Roeder - so if he is happy with the cash he has available then so should the fans be.

Message boards have been flooded with hundreds of postings since the EDP broke the news of Mr Cullum and almost 90pc of fans have voted on an EDP24 poll to get him involved with the club.

Now to take the "tens of thousand to its lowest possible number of two (20,000) and taking 90% of that we get 18,000 so 20,000 fans have voted on the EDP poll and 18,000 want him involved with the club? I would think not. 90% of the votes (and if you are quoting facts you need to advise the sample size) have indicated "involvement" - this is not 90% want him to have control.

As an excercise in Spin Archant have done very well on an interview and an email - even by drip feeding the story onto the net the day before and then blocking the Internet until 9.00am to create a speculative splash on the net - note this story was available on the net at 6.00am

Cue up another day of idle ignorant stabbing of the board ignoring totally the key and probably only truthful paragraph in the "report"

1. The EDP has not been able to make contact with the board but they have not made any public statement so we are spinning this as much as we can.

2. We understand that they are saying put up or shut up.

3. Peter Cullum has not put up merely "had a friendly arm wrestle" in october last year which he obviously lost and is not prepared to increase his offer.

The rest is all SPIN.

[/quote]

If it''s true that the Board will only speak to PC if he makes a formal offer for Delia''s and Michaels shares in the club then that too is just ridiculas, they don''t know exactly what Petter Cullum is prepared to offer this time round untill they atleast speak with him, I see no reason as to why he should have to make an offer for Delia''s and Michael''s shares just to start any kind of discussions with the Norwich Board, it''s nonsense.

The fact of the matter is Peter Cullum has offered the board to begin talks with him to see if they can come to some kind of a deal, and the Board should be well aware of the ever increaseing pressure they are becoming under since the story first came out, and they are only makeing things worse for themself by refuseing to even talk to Peter Cullum. I don''t normally slate Delia and Co like some people on here do but untill I hear some kind of reasonable explanation (that I don''t see coming) then I along with others can only question their tactics here.

Some people on here have said that Peter Cullum has been very shrewd in how he is getting support from the City fans by talking to the EDP in order to put more pressure on Delia and Co, but I see nothing wrong with that, I would personally do the same if I was in Peter Cullums shoes right now and the Board had just refused to even begin talks with me over a potential investment.

[quote user="colneycanary"]Sorry sturgeon220 but your talking rubbish. As someone already said when someone has expressed interest in your business you at the very least arrange a meeting to discuss all the options. Our board should be bending over backwards to get more investment and not trying to scare it off. The way our board is reacting is pathetic![/quote]

How do you know how the board are reacting? The article says that Peter Cullum has spoken to Andrew Turner and are saying make a formal offer and we will talk.

The Board have put out publically how much finance you would have to have available if yo want control and put £20m in to the club - all that Peter Cullum''s statement says is "I''ve got £20m can we talk next week?" If he were saying I could re-finance the loans (bank and Directors) and put £20m if we can agree on a price and what control means then there is something to talk about but he isn''t saying that.

The board are very fortunate there are still several weeks before the first home at Carrow Road and as such could consider the pressure is off them but at what cost? 

As has been well highlighted above the longer this standoff continues the more damaging it will become for the club and given how close it was to ‘condition critical’ through most of last season that is surely to be avoided at all costs. 

Peter Cullum rightly suggested that Smith & Jones had a valuable roll to play in the clubs future in much the same way Geoffrey Watling had previously but this will become less tenable by the day if this stand off continues.  Surely if Smith & Jones want to act in the best interests of our club they would have least have the common decency to play a more open handed hand through the local press that at least gives us supporters, share holders and fans in general the assurance they will do what’s best for the club. 

Whilst it could be considered libellous I was at the previous AGM and heard first hand all this guff from her about investment or the lack of it and when put on the spot by Keith Rhodes (I believe that to be the gentleman’s name) about the topic was left with the very clear impression is here was somebody who had taken on the mantle of a dictatorial despot rather than a caring joint majority shareholder acting in the best interest of our club and so it has come to pass.

To conclude, it is at times like this we miss having a  true senior statesman at the club such as the late great Geoffrey Watling to guide it through troubled waters.  None the less,  former director Barry Skipper must be applauded for at least trying to pave the way to a  speedy conclusion but there again most of us knew he was a man of genuinely good intentions but I wonder if when all this is over and we have a new owner in place somebody and indeed fellow share holders might find it in themselves to apologise to Keith Rhodes, after all he was absolutely right  “Delia you are not acting in the best interests of our club”