Sign in to follow this  
Stone

Would Ameobi be worth £3.5m anyway?

This may all be academic anyways as West Brom have apparently bid £4m for Ameobi now but I can''t help thinking he''s hugely overpriced!

There are positive aspects to us being in for him - a statement of intent, the hope he''d attract other players to the club, his hostory of playing well under  he fires under Roeder''s management etc, and I understand that the £3.5m total we (may or may not have) bid would be with various add-ons, with far less being paid up front. Although even if we paid £2m up front it''s still a hefty price for a largely unproven, injury-prone striker who seems to have had ''potential'' for 5+ years now. I would want more than Ameobi currently offers for £3.5m.

At £1m I think he would represent a decent buy but he seems too much of a gamble if we''re talking the quoted figures.

West brom are welcome to him for £4m!

Unless of course this is some kind of elaborate ploy by the board and we were never actually attempting to sign the guy - they''re just duping us into believing we''re in for him in order to keep the ''board bashers'' at bay! [:O]

Let''s try again now I''ve actually proof read it...

This may all be academic now anyway as West Brom have apparently bid £4m for Ameobi now but I can''t help thinking he''s hugely overpriced!

There are positive aspects to us being in for him - a statement of intent, the hope he''d attract other players to the club, his history of playing well under  under Roeder''s management etc, and I understand that the £3.5m total we (may or may not have) bid would be with various add-ons, with far less being paid up front. Although even if we paid £2m up front it''s still a hefty price for a largely unproven, injury-prone striker who seems to have had ''potential'' for 5+ years now. I would want more than Ameobi currently offers for £3.5m.

At £1m I think he would represent a decent buy but he seems too much of a gamble if we''re talking the quoted figures.

West brom are welcome to him for £4m!

Unless of course this is some kind of elaborate ploy by the board and we were never actually attempting to sign the guy - they''re just duping us into believing we''re in for him in order to keep the ''board bashers'' at bay! [:O]

Who  are you going to get though,Paterson looks like hes off to Burnley and whats he done to be worth over a million ? a Stoke reserve with one ok season at Scunthorpe.Beckford unproven at this level and Leeds would probably want over £2 million .Yes Ameobi is a risk ,and a costly one but you wont get a good striker for nothing.Reported this morning that the scum have offered £1.5 million for Nicky Maynard at Crewe , again unproven but may be a steal at that price.

I don''t think he''s worth 3.5m - but that''s with the add ons which will no doubt be dependent on promotion. If he helps get us up, we''d be happy to pay £1.5m, but you can''t entirely attribute all that extra 1.5m to Ameobi if we do go up.

Also, I think it''s a little harsh to call him unproven. He was scoring pretty regularly in the premiership with a fairly average team before he got injured. I should know, he was in my fantasy team!! So if you think in terms of a striker who can definitely mix it in and score goals in the premiership, then £2m isn''t too much.