Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Canaries Greatest Ever - who would make your team?

The ''Greatest Ever'' team has been decided, but who would make yours and do you agree with the selection?

• Team

Goalkeeper: Kevin Keelan
    Centre Backs: Steve Bruce, Duncan Forbes
    Full Backs: Ian Culverhouse, Mark Bowen
    Midfielders: Ian Crook, Martin Peters
    Wingers: Darren Huckerby, Darren Eadie
    Forwards: Iwan Roberts, Chris Sutton

• Manager

Mike Walker

• Greatest Goal

Jeremy Goss
    October 20, 1993 v Bayern Munich in Munich

• Greatest moment

The 1993 Uefa Cup run

Full Story

Good selection Pete. The only clear change I would make is Ron Davies instead of Roberts. As good a servant was he did not have the grace, skill and overall command to lead the line in the manner that his fellow Welshman Davies did. Fully understand that most did not have the benefit of seeing Ron Davies but he was that good.

i''d have had a subs bench as well, to highlight players like Gunny, terry allcock, malky etc

Looks to me like it was based on players they thought they could get to turn up on the day.

Goalkeeper: Kevin Keelan --- clearly a crowd favourite and often touted as one of the best goalkeepers in the league in his day but Chris Woods was the England keeper so he''d have to edge out Keelan.

Centre Backs: Steve Bruce, Duncan Forbes --- big Dunc again another crowd pleaser but much of his career was spent in the 2nd Division, so I''d have to go for Dave Watson.

Full Backs: Ian Culverhouse, Mark Bowen  --- fine by me

Midfielders: Ian Crook, Martin Peters --- always loved Crookie but to put him alongside a god like Peters? I don''t know? I think Martin O''Neil deserves to be there, he was a class act and could put the ball in the goal from 30 yards, something that Crookie strived to do but was never too good at. 

Wingers: Darren Huckerby, Darren Eadie --- Huckerby - too good for the Championship, not good enough for the Premiership. My picks are Jimmy Neighbour and Ruel Fox.

Forwards: Iwan Roberts, Chris Sutton --- Roberts, again a crowd favourite but he didn''t perform in the top flight. You need to look to someone who regularly played against top quality. Justin Fashanu and Kevin Reeves both sold for a million when a million bought you a quality player. Which of the 2 would I pick alongside Sutton, probably Reeves with Fash on the bench.

Subs: Justin Fashanu, John Ryan, Graham Paddon, David Cross, Kevin Keelan --- not in the original list but we need a few subs.

Manager: Mike Walker --- Now that makes me angry. The words "shallow" and "money grabber" come to mind when thinking of Walker. He might have taken us to UEFA Cup glory but that first stint with the club only lasted 18 months before he jumped ship and went to Everton. The true unsung hero of the past 40 years was actually Kenny Brown. His record of 150 wins from 367 games is unsurpassed in that era.

On the Ball!

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]

• Team

Goalkeeper: Kevin Keelan
    Centre Backs: Steve Bruce, Duncan Forbes
    Full Backs: Ian Culverhouse, Mark Bowen
    Midfielders: Ian Crook, Martin Peters
    Wingers: Darren Huckerby, Darren Eadie
    Forwards: Iwan Roberts, Chris Sutton

[/quote]
  • Hard to disagree with much of this - goal and moment were two of the proudest times to be a city fan - truly historic moments.    Walker will always create debate but again lead the europe experience and third in the table,  unprecedented acheivements.

The only three that I would struggle to include in the greatest footballing side (opposed to city legends team) would be Keelan, Forbes and Roberts.

Keelan is my personal all time favourite player and my first real memory as a city fan was watching him perform.  He was an exceptional keeper and better than all probably than Chris Woods who was England class,  where Keelan was not quite (a lot to do with Banks, Shilton & Clemence amongst others being his competition).

Forbes again is a true city legend and is worthy of his place but as a defender I have trouble putting him ahead of Dave Watson, Ian Butterworth or even John Polston.  None of these are city legends but were all determined classy defenders able to keep out the best strikers in the top league.

As for Iwan his scoring record in the championship is great - and I agree with others (based on second hand comparisons only as I never saw him) that Ron  Davies was the better option.   But neither compare to the feats of so many other contenders who played at the highest level for us - MacDougall doing the equivalent of topping the goal scoring charts in the prem for city,  Deehan with his scoring record or Drinkell would have all formed an excellent partnership with Sutton (the head and shoulder best city striker imo) and scored goals at the very highest level for us.  

"Keelan is my personal all time favourite player and my first real memory as a city fan was watching him perform.  He was an exceptional keeper and better than all probably than Chris Woods who was England class,  where Keelan was not quite (a lot to do with Banks, Shilton & Clemence amongst others being his competition)."

I think, if memory serves me right, Keelan was born in India and therefore didn''t qualify to play for England (at that time). I remember that he was often hailed as the best uncapped keeper of his time.

Keelan was quite brilliant although he had a volitile temperament, I remember a couple of times he thumped the centre forwards when he felt the ''shoulder charges'' were a bit too hard.

So many other names of the similar period come to mind Tommy Bryceland, Mal Lucas, Hugh Curran..........

[quote user="Midlandscanary"]

So many other names of the similar period come to mind Tommy Bryceland, Mal Lucas, Hugh Curran..........

[/quote]

Three of my favourites their Midlands! Tommy Bryceland was my first ever hero while Mal Lucas and Hugh Curran had two of the hardest shots of all time. I cried when we sold Hughie [:''(]

Hughie Hughie lalala .... Hughie lalala[*] [8]

Dave Watson to partner Bruce, Colin Suggett to partner Peters in midfield, Ron Davies to partner Sutton upfront and John Bond to manage..... my team was Keelan...Culverhouse, Bruce, Watson , Bowen.....Huckerby, Peters, Suggett, Eadie....Davies, Sutton.