Sign in to follow this  
St.John Cooper

Who remembers the last game of 81/82 season

What a day, needing just a point to go up and losing 1-0 Keith Bertschin equalised and then in the dying seconds the huge band of travelling Norwich fans endured heartache as Sheffield Wed got a very late winner.  Moments later we were up as OPR (i tbink it was but remind meif I am wrong) had failed to win and the party started.  A trip home has never been so good. I was just a lad of of 14 but the memory lives with me today!  Lets just hope we dont need a win to stay up this year.

Happy days,  any one else there?

OTBC

St.John

I remember it very well, there was 10000 Norwich fans there and I went by train, we lost 2-1 and a Wednesday fan was on the pitch when they scored the winner, we had to endure an agonising 10 minute wait after the final whistle to confirm that Leicester had been held to a draw by Shrewsbury and sealed our promotion, the away end erupted when the score came through. Leicester took great delight in winning 3-2 at Carrow Road on the last day of the 1980-81 season to take us down with them so it was even sweeter to condemn them to another season in the then 2nd division.

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

What a day, needing just a point to go up and losing 1-0 Keith Bertschin equalised and then in the dying seconds the huge band of travelling Norwich fans endured heartache as Sheffield Wed got a very late winner.  Moments later we were up as OPR (i tbink it was but remind meif I am wrong) had failed to win and the party started.  A trip home has never been so good. I was just a lad of of 14 but the memory lives with me today!  Lets just hope we dont need a win to stay up this year.

OTBC

St.John

[/quote]

I was there..........but thought it was Leicester losing that sent us up (could be ironic there).

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

OTBC

St.John

[/quote]

Yes, I remember it well. If we lost then Leicester could pip us by winning their final two games. In those days there was no rule to make all teams play their final game on the same day. Leicester were at home to lowly Shrewsbury but could only draw, so we went up. I remember an agonising few minutes wait while this was confirmed. Then we all went mental in celebration.

If you ever see a video of that final game you will see that as Wednesday scored their last gasp winning goal, there was a Wednesday supporter in our penalty area. I swear if their player had missed it then the supporter would have put it in. Funny now,but gut wrenching at the time.

I was there too with the other 10,000.

I remember that there was a Sheff Weds fan on the pitch in front of our goal when the cross came in for their winning goal.

Wasn''t it the Leicester result we waited for? Think they drew with Shrewsbury(?) and we were up. What a season.

Same sort of memories as Ayresome Park in 92/93.

I was there as well, stood in the corner section of the Leppings Lane end. Up to 10,000 fans went - at least two special trains.

The winning goal should never have been allowed, one of their fans was on the pitch and when the cross came in for their goal this guy launched himself at it only for the Wednesday player to get there first and head in! Absolutely true. Watch it on an old video if you can. 

I just checked the league tables for that season - guess who finished runners up in the top division? Yeah - them (unfortunately). Have to admit it but they did have a great spell from about 1975 - 1982. I can''t see us (or them again) ever getting anywhere near that kind of record. The sport has been broken by the cesspit of money.

i remember when we went down cos the champs ''everton'' - lost to coventry.  was having a pint in the royal oak and kept going out to listen to radio updates - was totally gutted.   still young then, but already realised life is BS.  mind u - at least the cov players had the balls to chew on the toffees - even when fulham tried to do us a favour our saps couldn''t take the opportunity........

Mixture of emotions for me too. Me and three mates went by car and when queing to get into the corner of the Leppings Lane stand, there was a real crush. This police horse and rider nudged into the middle of the crowd to ease congestion and I ended up with this massive horses rear end inches from my face! The police organisation and behaviour that day both outside and inside was very poor.(I wasn''t at all surprised a few years later when the the disaster happened)

I seem to remember that after the final whistle, the Sheff Weds fans sat on the pitch facing us so that the City players couldn''t come out on to the pitch to celebrate. Good journey home though!