Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Good Grief! (Bolton approach for Megson)

So there we all are presuming that Bolton will go for Paul Jewell as a replacement for Sammy Lee when according to Sky Sports News as of today Bolton have apparently approached Leicester City to sign up Gary Megson of all people! Megson?!!  Surely they can do better than that?  Leicester have apparently rejected the approach but I wonder whether Mr Jewell will now be more amenable to coming to Carrow Road?

I''ve been watching football for almost 30 years and thought I knew a bit about the game but unless I''m completely out of touch with reality, this must rank as one of the most bizarre things i''ve ever heard!!

What possible credentials could Bolton think that Megson has to keep them in the Premier league !!?!.

Why would a premiership side want a manager who until recently had been out of work since being sacked at a league one team two seasons ago??

Has Megson done anything particularly spectacular since taking over at Leicester to warrant this??

Can anyone shed any light on this one at all, or am I missing something?

Utterly,utterly bizarre !!!

I will have a shot in the dark at Bolton''s thinking on this one, but thats all it is.The last few years Big Sam and Bolton played a certain type of style, route one, physical and direct.  When little Sammy came along, he tried to ditch that and get them playing a more passing, patient game.  That didnt work out for Sammy and Bolton  so I think the Bolton chairman has thought what type of manager plays a similar style to Big Sam.....answer Gary Megson.   Anyone remember our promotion season when WBA came up aswell, they were physical, played route one stuff and were very good at it. Everyone assumes that Megson is a poor manager but people forget that he got WBA out of the Championship twice and only left them because he didnt want to sign a new contract at the end of the 2004/2005 season when WBA were still in the Premiership, so they sacked him in October .It didnt go well at Forest but maybe it just wasnt to be.  He may have even made a good manager for us but thats not possible now. Anyways back on topic..... my guess is that Phil Gartside has remembered this and that is why they approached Megson???    I''m probably miles off.

Is Megson related to anyone on the Bolton board perhaps, or is he just very cheap? Sounds familiar and Bolton don''t have to be that desperate, do they?