Sign in to follow this  
henners

The problem is not just with Grant.

I dont think Grant will be at the club for much longer and that will probably be the right thing but in my opinion nothing positive is going to happen at this club with the current regime at board level. Our beloved Delia has obviously lost interest in her ownership of the club now and it is high time she sold up. With all the foreign money getting pumped into british teams currently we should be actively searching for some new ownership/investment. The model that is Norwich City Football club is a very viable business if run properly. We have a very large fan base. Only a few seasons ago we could have almost sold out the ground twice over and we had a season ticket waiting list as long as both of Crouchys legs put end to end. Yes we are a little out of the way but that shouldnt be much of a stumbling block in attracting players if the finances are there. I know it will probably never happen and we will just keep struggling along with the same old problems and it wont stop until we hit League 1 and Administration. What I do know is that whatever happens i will remain as loyal a supporter as I have always been and I know the majority of you will too. Keep the faith!

OTBC

Sorry Rob - and cluck, smudger, mystic megson, ricky knight, my bro and many others with a similar view but I remain totally unconvinced (tell me I am blinkered, a sheep, board loving if you want - its not true) ,  that a change at board level will make an ounce of difference.

The boards role is to provide a direction for the club to meet its objectives.  They overview the running of the club as a whole,  separated into on and off field activities.  While our finances are like just about every champs club - dire - clearly most aspects off field are working,  facilities, income, brand are all going well.  We are not market leaders here but nor are bottom of the league and I think that there is every reason to assume that this will continue to improve.   For football the board have two many repsonsibilities - appointing the management staff and creating a budget to be competetive.  Its seems that the Turners do have plans so new money is coming 

For cash we have afar better budget than most of the teams above us and on paper players from the (no disrepect intended but its impliit i know) likes of Burnley, Scunthorpe, Bristol City etc etc would be derided if we wanted them.  Budget is not the problem here and that is the main thing the board influences on pitch. 

It is crunch time for the board - no goal in 7 games and just one draw is simply relegation football and the decision must not be avoided - we need a change of manager - and that is the second thing they have to get right - ruthless with the management when they are not deliver nor looking like being able to turn it around.

Hopefully  PGs comments last night will lead to a leaving by mutual consent statement over the next day or so.

Calls for a director with footballing knowledge are misguided - DOf footballs are either undermined or undermine the manager;  most clubs want fans to run it;  we have that and want to give it away.

No board has ever met the ambitions of its fan base and that is as equally true of EVERY NCFC board.   If there as people who can inject   cash into the club we should welcome them with open arms;  these people make themselves known if serious - if not better the devil we know, love and hate.

Until then its pitchside we need to solve,   starting with a manager who can transform a squad into a team

Until then its pitchside we need to solve,   starting with a manager who can transform a squad into a team

That''s the key to me too - the apathy, lack of will to even try to put more than routine effort in and seeming cluelessness of what on earth they are trying to do when a game is on is downright dis-respectful to their employers and the fans who ultimately pay their wages.

Our squad is  more than capable of being at least mid-table but we do need someone in now to harvest that ability into something collective - that is football managements job not the boards, but they haven''t helped and should be taking a long hard look at their decision making processes too.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Sorry Rob - and cluck, smudger, mystic megson, ricky knight, my bro and many others with a similar view but I remain totally unconvinced (tell me I am blinkered, a sheep, board loving if you want - its not true) ,  that a change at board level will make an ounce of difference.

The boards role is to provide a direction for the club to meet its objectives. 

[/quote]

Exactly.  And they aren''t doing it are they?  And if you think it doesn''t really matter, here''s a true story to illustrate the point.

A 16-year-old Norfolk lad tried to find his way home from a party on old years night. He was pissed, and took a wrong turning out of the front door.  After that, all the turnings he took were right, but because the first one was wrong it got him more and more lost.  His frozen body was found in a field the next morning.

That''s what will happen to us if we don''t realise we''ve lost the way.

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

The boards role is to provide a direction for the club to meet its objectives. 

[/quote]

Exactly.  And they aren''t doing it are they?  And if you think it doesn''t really matter, here''s a true story to illustrate the point.

A 16-year-old Norfolk lad tried to find his way home from a party on old years night. He was pissed, and took a wrong turning out of the front door.  After that, all the turnings he took were right, but because the first one was wrong it got him more and more lost.  His frozen body was found in a field the next morning.

That''s what will happen to us if we don''t realise we''ve lost the way.

[/quote]

Nail on the head Mystic.

Time is running out fast and the longer it goes on like this the harder it becomes to arrest the slide.

This board is acting like a rabbit caught in the headlights of an onrushing car. Their strategy is in tatters and thet have no idea of how to change it.

I have to say, I remain unconvinced that a change a board level will make a difference. Grant has had more cash than a lot of championship managers and we are still looking like the worst team in the league.What concerns me is that he is not getting the most from the squad (far from it) I lot of football is mental. What I mean by that is it is about the state of mind. What I see in our players is a complete lack of confidence in themselves and in their manager. what I see in Grant is someone with not a great deal of confidence in the players he has. Even if many of them are his buys. When confidence is low, players need encouragement and support to express themselves (this team is the most repressed unexpressive group of players I have witnessed in  Norwich shirts)I get the sense that Grant is very much old school in terms of management style and doesn''t go in for this mental ''nonsense''. His response is ''I can''t work any harder''. Well then don''t. If you relax, the team will relax. If you keep turning the screw, they will keep retreating.This is a hard thing to do when it seems as if there are no positives, but focus on what we have, not what we don''t have. get the players to do more of what they do well and things will slowly get better. Once they do start to turn, it will become easier and there will be more and more positives to build on.We have the players (at the start of the season no one, even Smudger, predicted we would be in the bottom 3 this year)I think, unfortunately, that Grant does not think this way and has already run out of ideas, which is why it may be time for him to goOTBC

I dont expect everyone to agree - but the aims are clear to create a sustainable club playing in the premier;  the funds have been made available to do just that but the problems are that the management team are not delivering 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I dont expect everyone to agree - but the aims are clear to create a sustainable club playing in the premier;  the funds have been made available to do just that but the problems are that the management team are not delivering [/quote]

Zipper that simply isn''t true, in fact it''s just the reverse.  For the past two or three seasons we''ve spent less on replacing players than we got from selling them.  If you do that there''s only going to be one outcome.

What you really mean is that the board SAY the funds have been made available.

[quote]I dont expect everyone to agree - but the aims are clear to create a

sustainable club playing in the premier;  the funds have been made

available to do just that but the problems are that the management team

are not delivering [/quote]Last season we spent less than the championship average on player wages.  I agree that sustainability is what their long-term planning is about, but the short-term objectives have suffered as a consequence.  Something needs to plug the gap that planning for the long-term has created, or we won''t be able to compete for promotion for the next 5 years.

You can''t run a football club like a restaurant....but the comparisons are there.

This Board have produced poor quality slop dished up on a fancy platter....and expected the customer to be fooled by it. If however good quality food is served on a plate of any kind the taste would remain good. Poor ingredients will never make a good meal....and that''s what is being dished up on a regularly basis. Add to this the situation that NCFC is the only restaurant in town for us...we must either starve or accept what it has to offer. I''ve chosen to starve.....others haven''t.

Grant is hapless like Worthington was before him and looking back over the other managers this Board has appointed....surely a pattern of ineptness emerges. Add to that the fact that just about every half decent player has been shipped out for a fee...without that money being re-invested on the pitch I don''t see what there is to argue about......

Grant is the victim of his own ego. He took the job on a three year contract so foolishly offered by Smith and Co. and claimed "cometh the hour blah de blah de blah".......The Board are to blame for this...no-one else. Bringing in a new manager now to destroy will just be perpetuating the problem...and we don''t want any more apologistic demands for "more time to build his own team" or delaying tactics of that kind. It''s too late for that.

Smith needs to go...along with Grant. We need a new Chairman/owner who will show strength and purpose throughout the club and get NCFC back on it''s feet. Pumping in millions is only part of what is needed....as this without proper direction would be spending good money after bad.

Pain felt now will save even greater pain in the long term....but it seems few of us are prepared to accept it. Sacking Grant however much it is needed would be yet another sticking plaster stuck on a gaping wound by this Board. Much more is needed I''m afraid.