Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Mettomo - Gone To Southampton!

Mettomo makes Southampton switch

Lucien Mettomo

Mettomo has joined Southampton after a spell on trial
Southampton have completed the signing of Cameroon central defender Lucien Mettomo on a short-term contract.

The 30-year-old has agreed a deal until the end of the season after impressing on trial in the last two weeks.

Saints boss George Burley said: "He is maybe not quite fully fit because he has been out of contract and has not had a pre-season.

"He has played in different countries as well as in the Premiership with Manchester City."

Mettomo played for French side St Etienne before signing for Manchester City for £1.5m in September 2001 and made 23 appearances.

606: DEBATE

SF

He lost his place following the arrival of Sylvain Distin and after four Premier League appearances, he moved to Kaiserslautern and then to Lucerne.

Mettomo had been training with Norwich earlier this month but Canaries boss Peter Grant decided not to offer him a contract because of concerns about his fitness.

The thing is Hogesar, Southampton are in as desperate a situation as we are ............ although they can take solace form the fact that they do have much larger potential attendances than Norwich and as such may attract a super rich foreigh investor (just having a joke with myself .... and others)

[quote]although they can take solace form the fact that they do have much larger potential attendances than Norwich and as such may attract a super rich foreigh investor (just having a joke with myself .... and others)[/quote]

They might well get that super-rich investor Old Salt, Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has shown an interest in them in the past, as Southampton is somewhere to park his (world''s largest) yacht so that he can get to matches.   I don''t know what the current state of play on his interest is though.  Nutty Nigel - any updates ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]although they can take solace form the fact that they do have much larger potential attendances than Norwich and as such may attract a super rich foreigh investor (just having a joke with myself .... and others)[/quote]

They might well get that super-rich investor Old Salt, Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has shown an interest in them in the past, as Southampton is somewhere to park his (world''s largest) yacht so that he can get to matches.   I don''t know what the current state of play on his interest is though.  Nutty Nigel - any updates ?

[/quote]

As far as I know, Allen has dismissed he was ever interested. A member of the Southampton board who was brought in to arrange fresh investment left last year after a failed 12 months trying to attract new money into the club.

Hence the state they were in last summer - something which may be repeated come next May.

We have used Southampton and Palace as reference points since our relegation. An article in today''s EN also makes the connection. It is interesting (if not heartwarming) to see how differently the three sidea are doing.

I know he isn''t fit now, but surely, soon enough he will be, and with our small amount of defenders...

If we had got him back when we his first trial ended he would more than likely be fit by now, just when we need a CB. Great plan. Isn''t it.