Sign in to follow this  
Wings

I suspect some members of this community simply can't support the club

I wonder; exactly what is required to make some of the pessimistic supporters actually support the actions of the club again? I ask because even with the recent changes to the club''s playing staff, we still seem to have the perpetual whingers on here attempting to discredit what I see is a superb set of summer signings so far.

Take our new goalkeepers; how can you be upset with the signing of Gilks, a talented freebie who has done really well for Rotherham? And David Marshall, who in my opinion, goes right into competition for the title of "best goalkeeper outside the Premiership".

In defence, Otsemobor was named the best right back in League One. His football education at Liverpool gives a great pedigree and I''m confident he could be the answer to a problem we''ve had for ages. Sure, we need further reinforcements in this area (a center back and a left back) but we''ve got to understand there is still plenty of time for that.

In midfield, we''ve got Julien Brellier; an ex-Milan player who quickly became an integral player in the Hearts side before Romanov took over. In my view, Brellier is a class act, and will quickly become integral to the side.

Up front, we''ve signed Cureton. Cureton is the Championship''s top scorer, and whatever people say about his age, will score goals. Sure, he''s got big boots to fill, but I believe Cureton will do well for us, and will fight, bleed and sweat for the club.

These are excellent signings; and blow the socks off the signings Nigel Worthington usually made in close seasons. With money still to spend and these excellent signings already made, I''m struggling to reason how anyone can remain pessimistic.

I agree that the signings so far have been impressive, but to look on the negative side :The signings might not have been possible without the sale of Robert Earnshaw.  Some will argue that had Earnshaw not found a buyer, we wouldn''t be making as many signings this summer.  His replacement, Cureton, has had one good season at this level, and while he bleeds green and yellow, might have had a flash in the pan season, and needs to work with a big target man.  That target man looks like he will be a young and largely unproven foreign striker who had only scored 2 goals per season before last season, when he had a good ratio of a goal every other match.  On other message boards, Czechs that I have spoken to think that Strihavka is a risky buy when compared to the "guaranteed goals" of Earnshaw.  It could be that their partnership, or indeed a Brown / Cureton, or even a Dublin / Cureton partnership will click, and we''ll score bucketloads.  It could also be that Cureton will struggle to get the service he got last season until the new signings have bedded in, and got match practice under their belts.I also believe that Brellier will be an excellent signing, he became a cult figure at Hearts and a symbol of resistance against the tyrannical Romanov, but again, he is unproven at championship level.  I can''t see how anyone can have a bad word to say about Gilks, and Marshall has proven that he is capable of living up to the strong reputation we have for goalkeeping.  Otsemobor looks like a strong player in an are we need cover,The players we have signed have a lot of potential, and would seem to be able to work as part of a cohesive unit.  Only Cureton and Marshall have proven themselves at this level though, none of the signings have been there and done that in a successful championship side, and that experience can be invaluable. The lack of that experience is a possible cause for concern.  That said, Carl Robinson had that experience...

Great post,

Agree with everything you`ve said, but some people are never happy no matter what, get class players in on a free, and they are classed as useless or players no-one wants, pay decent money and weve paid over the odds, so no matter who we bought or sold, someone would always find reasons to complain.

I am certainly more excited and hopeful for forthcoming season than i thought i would be a month ago.

The negativity stems from the clubs lack of activity in the transfer market, the "strength" of the squad, and results over the last 2 seasons. If the current positive approach continues i`m sure 99% of the negatives will be positive again.

The current exciting flurry of decent-looking signings coincides with a rising tide of opinion accusing the board of lacking ambition on the pitch and talk of protests. Funny that.

Blah, for me you have highlighted what football is all about, anything could happen and thats what makes it so exciting!

[quote]The current exciting flurry of decent-looking signings coincides with a

rising tide of opinion accusing the board of lacking ambition on the

pitch and talk of protests. Funny that.[/quote]It also coincides with the arrival of the Turners and the sale of Earnshaw.  I''d say that those factors are more relevant.

We have not spent that much money at all , in fact if we were supposed to have a big transfer budget before the sale of Earnie 3 signings all around the £700,000 mark and the cost of signing 3 freebies is hardly pushing the boat out is it .

[quote user="Wings"]

I wonder; exactly what is required to make some of the pessimistic supporters actually support the actions of the club again? I ask because even with the recent changes to the club''s playing staff, we still seem to have the perpetual whingers on here attempting to discredit what I see is a superb set of summer signings so far.

Take our new goalkeepers; how can you be upset with the signing of Gilks, a talented freebie who has done really well for Rotherham? And David Marshall, who in my opinion, goes right into competition for the title of "best goalkeeper outside the Premiership".

In defence, Otsemobor was named the best right back in League One. His football education at Liverpool gives a great pedigree and I''m confident he could be the answer to a problem we''ve had for ages. Sure, we need further reinforcements in this area (a center back and a left back) but we''ve got to understand there is still plenty of time for that.

In midfield, we''ve got Julien Brellier; an ex-Milan player who quickly became an integral player in the Hearts side before Romanov took over. In my view, Brellier is a class act, and will quickly become integral to the side.

Up front, we''ve signed Cureton. Cureton is the Championship''s top scorer, and whatever people say about his age, will score goals. Sure, he''s got big boots to fill, but I believe Cureton will do well for us, and will fight, bleed and sweat for the club.

These are excellent signings; and blow the socks off the signings Nigel Worthington usually made in close seasons. With money still to spend and these excellent signings already made, I''m struggling to reason how anyone can remain pessimistic.

[/quote]

Gilks played for Roachdale not Rotherham.

Im not slagging of the team as im 100% behind them and Pg, but the way the board have failed us for 3 years and got away with it wont be forgotten easily.

Im happy the team has been strengthend and wont moan about any player that i havent seen play, but i dont see why i should forget the way this club has been run because we sign a few players.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

The negativity stems from the clubs lack of activity in the transfer market, the "strength" of the squad, and results over the last 2 seasons. If the current positive approach continues i`m sure 99% of the negatives will be positive again.

The current exciting flurry of decent-looking signings coincides with a rising tide of opinion accusing the board of lacking ambition on the pitch and talk of protests. Funny that.

[/quote]

True to an extent but i would say 3 seasons. Maybe if the board had put up the cash to sign Ashton in the summer maybe we would still be in the prem and not having this discussion.

[quote user="Wings"]

[/quote]

Im not knocking PG or the players he has signed. Im a big fan of Marshall,and Cureton will be good for the club if only for his spirit and fight. The rest i know very little about so im keeping my feet on the ground thanks.

UEA Graduate Canary wrote the following post at 05/07/2007 12:50 PM:

''''Blah, for me you have highlighted what football is all about, anything could happen and thats what makes it so exciting!''''Thats what makes'''' this League''''so entertaining because from the first game to the last anything can happen and once again this season the top slots could go to anyone ! and we have a whole season to sit on the edge of our seats,Unlike the Premiership with the usual four at the top from day one.Yawn !

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]The current exciting flurry of decent-looking signings coincides with a rising tide of opinion accusing the board of lacking ambition on the pitch and talk of protests. Funny that.[/quote]

It also coincides with the arrival of the Turners and the sale of Earnshaw.  I''d say that those factors are more relevant.
[/quote]

Yes we`ve just had a £2million loan and £3.5million from Earnshaw and it seems a good deal of this will be available to the manager. But in the previous two seasons we recieved £14.2million in parachute payments and about £13million in player sales and yet very little of this was available to the manager (£50k director loan to buy Robinson, not being able to buy Cotteril till Mckenzie sold etc).

I think that the board have had "other priorities" recently and the flirtation with relegation, the pressure from supporters, and maybe the influence of the Turners have combined to give them the wake-up call they needed to get back to focussing on what really matters.