Sign in to follow this  
benjamin james

One Central Defender

Has anyone seen Matthew Halliday? - Can he compete for a place in the team?

If not, we NEED someone to give Shackell & Doherty healthy competition/ replace, and cover for injuries. I have not heard Grant mention this position once during the pre-season search for players. Why?

If this issue is resolved and a hald decent player is purchased - I am positive about this season. I really think it will make the difference between being promotion hopefuls, to being a mid-table disappointment.

What''s going on?!

I too believe that a new CB is as important as any other signing we''ve already made. But if this ''new'' signing can be Halliday i''m all for it - there seems to be little prospect of any of the other academy kids coming through this season. Maybe Spillane if we lose Saf as seems likely.

I think Rossi is pretty versatile - playing in midfield and full back here and I understand right back while impressing at Rotherham.

Mathew is a good player out of the accadamy but is a bit slow. I know he has been working on his pace with a sprint coach over the last few years and is making good progress. As with all of the ex- accadamy boys who knows how good they are until they get out there in front of a crowd. They can look the biz in training and low grade reserve games but there is no staged progression for them to the real thing. He is a good prospect like so many others but it would be stupid to rely on him to push the otheres for a place at this stage. I think Mathew will go out on loan, apart from thowing them in at the deep end it`s the only way new lads can get any real experience.