Sign in to follow this  
megson

Web team - questions for the board

Cluck, when previously looking at your picture I always assumed that you were a canary, but on closer inspection I wondered  if you were actually some kind of tit. Perhaps you could enlighten us. Regards, Bill Oddie. 

[quote user="Cluck "]

[quote user="7rew"]The norfolk border being a barrier to investment is all about aspiring to do something about the sentiment "the club no longer represents the pride of the city and wider community". 

Just because something is new does not mean it is any better than old - nor any worse.  I would be ecstatic with a takeover that would be an improvement on the current lot.  I would also be devastated by a takeover that was worse - I''m just honest enough to admit to that.

I have never used another username anywhere (unless 7rew is too short for forum rules, where I use 7rewotbc or some other longer variant of 7rew) and I am slightly insulted that you suggest otherwise.

I definately do not believe that modern is always best - it usually isn''t however modern is what we have to compete with and is the environment in which we have to opperate - so we must try to adapt to it.  Personally I think a failure to asdequately adapt to the changes of the last 10 years is the major failing of this board. I have high hopes that the Turners will change this, I certainly feel we should give them a chance to try.  They are city fans and richer than some of the foreign investors that are so highly vaunted as replacements for the board (e.g. The owners of Hearts and Blackpool).

As to the not going to games accusation - I have never claimed a season ticket or to get to games very often - I am prepared to take the rap for that from anyone that can honestly say they would attend carrow road given a 4 and a half hour train (central trains) trip each way to get there. I''ll certainly go to the away games up this way - Preston, Blackpool, Burnley, Sheffield (x2).

Excessive Desire leads to lack of thinking.  And quite frankly that leads to Leeds.
[/quote]

Now 7rew....here we go again.  Where in the above have I accused you of either using an alternative "user name" or that you have ever claimed to be a season ticket holder when you weren''t? A touch of paranoia maybe?  Mine was a generalisation based on your aside that I should have stayed away from the forum having stated I would do so now I was no longer bank rolling the circus. With reference to the bogus "season ticket holders"...surely you must have sussed this one out yourself yonks ago.

I also feel there is a conflict in your assertion that you do not favour the "new"...as you have plainly stated that the past is where cuckoos live and we are now in the "present". The "present" soon becomes the past and that is what has happened to us under milady''s kitchen. Your contentment as things are is the past...and only moving on will shift the emphasis towards success. The future is not to be feared and a future without the present encumbants in place might just return the club to it''s honest roots. I can assure you that when that time comes even you will see the difference it makes in terms of drive and pride.

You should know by now that you can''t throw stones at me...and quoting Leeds (yet again) only shows how scared you and your apologists are of moving forward. Why not quote Reading or Portsmouth instead?...or does that just spoil the argument for you? Progress need not be at the cost of financial ruin....and I''ll wager that the much quoted Leeds will be back in the Premiership again long before we will! They won''t be whining about being "little old Leeds" and will be out there banging the drum for success.

[/quote]

[quote user="7rew"]OK Cluck, I may be being a bit paranoid there and I am sorry.  As the beginning of your post was addressed to me I assumed that the entirity of the post was addressed to me as well.

As to your point about me being in favour of the new because I say "the past is where cuckoos live and we are now in the present".  Let me employ an (over) complicated analogy:
I am most definately in favour of a world in which I won the lottery last week. I would love to be able to make plans and act as if this were the case.  Unfortunately I didn''t.  I must therefore accept the restraints of reality and plan my budget for the money that I have.  Surely a Realist such as yourself must recognise this.

The same is true of a football club - I may be in favour of a world in which players are prepared to play for the club the support for their entire career, don''t demand excessive wages, aren''t primadonnas, give 100% each game out of love of the club etc etc.  Unfortunately such a world doesn''t exist now (as it once did)  and it is very unlikely to again - no board of any description will be able to bring it back because these are trends in the entirety of football.
I would also be completely in favour of a world in which there is a perfect board just waiting to take over, or indeed just a better one.  I am far from convinced that this world exists now either. I would become convinced of this if one was actually suggested rather than the "there must be one somewhere" sentiments.

In the world that does exist, Delia is approaching the mandatory retirement age of the board, so won''t be around forever, we have new investors who are fans of the club, want premiership football and importantly there have been NO football matches since they have been on the board. Who is to say whether or not additional drive and passion will show on the pitch thanks to their involvement?  Certainly we have become more active in the transfer market in terms of bidding for players than we have been in recent years since the Turners have been involved. In signing Ostembor on a free we have signed a player earlier in the transfer window than I can remember happening recently.  What would be wrong with giving them a chance to show what they can do?  They may surprise you.

I actually quoted Leeds entirely because I found the phrase "leads to Leeds" amusing.
[/quote]

Hi, check your PMs mate, sorry about my comments. No harm done.

Sorry for butting in 7rew but i think if you apply the logic of your post to what happened at Leeds they would still have Ridsdale in charge- and we would probably still be a Crewe-type "nursery club" under Chase. You cannot change random events which affect your current reality, but if the same mistakes keep being made by the same people thereby adversely affecting something you care about then surely you should take action to stop those mistakes happening again? And a mistake can only be avoided if it is recognised as such.

I don`t have anything personal against the current board. What i see are a group of people who are in charge of a failing club due to misplaced priorities and a lack of the drive and ambition that a club of our size and potential should expect. I want to see an "obsession" with improving the team on the pitch rather than the facilities off it, and the kind of hunger and drive for success that football thrives on (look at Sunderland last season). If the current board can`t provide this i want them to stand aside for someone else and the same criteria would be applied to them. Given that the "too prudent" and "got the balance wrong" outlook seems to have been widely accepted in the last few months i can`t really see why to some people its still such a terrible thing to criticise the board and demand a change in approach.

I do however agree that the new investment is welcome and that we don`t really know how it will affect the forth-coming season, but given the last three seasons i think it is understandable that people remain sceptical.

Nutty-i`ve only been called patronising twice this week so i really must brush up.......[:D] I really wouldn`t take it so personally.

It did take me a while to work out waht you meant by that Mr. Carrow,

But I now see your point.  As the replacements for both boards

(Chase and Ridsdale) didn''t appear until after they were outed my logic

would have been to keep them.

I feel my post may have been slightly confusing (entirely my fault).

The lottery analogy(LA) was only supposed to be marginally connected to

ideas about changing the board. The LA was to demonstrate to Cluck the

realities of the situation - that it is possible to desire one set of

circumstances (loyal players, being able to compete based on gate

moneys, etc.) you must accept the global realities of modern

life/football if you are going to get anywhere.

Secondly and slightly connectedly I pointed out that I am unconvinced

whether a better board exists. This is true, I am unconvinced - you

know my views on foreign investor for example.

A major part of the reason I am unconvinced is that as I then pointed

out, in responce to Cluck''s point about requiring change at the top

that we have just had a (minor) change in the board room, but I believe

one that will have a significant effect - the Turners make up 2/7 or

2/6 of the board (does the chairman have a vote?) which is significant

in itself, they also have a block vote of the same size as the

Wynn-Joneses and about 80-90% of the money that could be used for

investment from the boardroom.  I think that this could be enough

for a significant change in the outlook of the board.  One which

is hopefully in the direction we all desire.

If we had Ridsdale or Chase it would take far less to convince me that

there was a better board available, partly because I would know more

about their board, and frankly mostly because they were much worse than

the current lot.

I agree that if the same mistakes are made repeatedly by the same

people the you should take action to stop those mistakes.  I am

not entirely sure the same mistakes are being made repeatedly by the

board, each mistake just takes a long time. For-example:

Backing Worthy for so long was one mistake-not repeated.  Buying

has-beens and never-weres was another - but I blame worthy for this,

certainly under a new manager we are now buying might-bes and

could-bes. 

(I would right more but I don''t have the time)

[quote user="shortfatb"]

Cluck, when previously looking at your picture I always assumed that you were a canary, but on closer inspection I wondered  if you were actually some kind of tit. Perhaps you could enlighten us. Regards, Bill Oddie. 

[quote user="Cluck "]

[quote user="7rew"]The norfolk border being a barrier to investment is all about aspiring to do something about the sentiment "the club no longer represents the pride of the city and wider community". 

Just because something is new does not mean it is any better than old - nor any worse.  I would be ecstatic with a takeover that would be an improvement on the current lot.  I would also be devastated by a takeover that was worse - I''m just honest enough to admit to that.

I have never used another username anywhere (unless 7rew is too short for forum rules, where I use 7rewotbc or some other longer variant of 7rew) and I am slightly insulted that you suggest otherwise.

I definately do not believe that modern is always best - it usually isn''t however modern is what we have to compete with and is the environment in which we have to opperate - so we must try to adapt to it.  Personally I think a failure to asdequately adapt to the changes of the last 10 years is the major failing of this board. I have high hopes that the Turners will change this, I certainly feel we should give them a chance to try.  They are city fans and richer than some of the foreign investors that are so highly vaunted as replacements for the board (e.g. The owners of Hearts and Blackpool).

As to the not going to games accusation - I have never claimed a season ticket or to get to games very often - I am prepared to take the rap for that from anyone that can honestly say they would attend carrow road given a 4 and a half hour train (central trains) trip each way to get there. I''ll certainly go to the away games up this way - Preston, Blackpool, Burnley, Sheffield (x2).

Excessive Desire leads to lack of thinking.  And quite frankly that leads to Leeds.
[/quote]

Now 7rew....here we go again.  Where in the above have I accused you of either using an alternative "user name" or that you have ever claimed to be a season ticket holder when you weren''t? A touch of paranoia maybe?  Mine was a generalisation based on your aside that I should have stayed away from the forum having stated I would do so now I was no longer bank rolling the circus. With reference to the bogus "season ticket holders"...surely you must have sussed this one out yourself yonks ago.

I also feel there is a conflict in your assertion that you do not favour the "new"...as you have plainly stated that the past is where cuckoos live and we are now in the "present". The "present" soon becomes the past and that is what has happened to us under milady''s kitchen. Your contentment as things are is the past...and only moving on will shift the emphasis towards success. The future is not to be feared and a future without the present encumbants in place might just return the club to it''s honest roots. I can assure you that when that time comes even you will see the difference it makes in terms of drive and pride.

You should know by now that you can''t throw stones at me...and quoting Leeds (yet again) only shows how scared you and your apologists are of moving forward. Why not quote Reading or Portsmouth instead?...or does that just spoil the argument for you? Progress need not be at the cost of financial ruin....and I''ll wager that the much quoted Leeds will be back in the Premiership again long before we will! They won''t be whining about being "little old Leeds" and will be out there banging the drum for success.

[/quote][/quote]

Nice to meet you too shortfatc....as it can''t be pleasant for you being so unattractive to others....unlike tits which have global appeal.

While I normally enjoy eating "nuts" for breakfast...I suspect you will leave a bad taste in the beak so will refrain from biting further.

Next!

Bravo, bravo.... especially if they are perky ones Cluck  [Y]

But then again with SHORTFATB being, well erm short and fat... I am sure that he has never seen a fine perky pair in all his life!!!  [;)]