Sign in to follow this  
AP16

England Squad

This is the England Squad announced yesterday:

Goalkeepers: Robinson (Tottenham), Foster (Man Utd, on loan at Watford), Carson (Liverpool, on loan at Charlton).

Defenders: G Neville (Man Utd), Richards (Man

City), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea, capt), Woodgate (Real

Madrid, on loan at Middlesbrough), Carragher (Liverpool), A Cole

(Chelsea), P Neville (Everton).

Midfielders: Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves

(Bayern Munich), Lampard (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Parker

(Newcastle), Carrick (Man Utd), Dyer (Newcastle), Downing

(Middlesbrough).

Forwards: Johnson (Everton), Rooney (Man Utd), Defoe (Tottenham), Bent (Charlton).

Personally, I can''t actually believe Phil Neville makes the squad over Gareth Barry. Neither can I believe Joey Barton isn''t included after his substitute performance versus Spain had more guts and passion than that of any other player that night.  And for me , the centre forwards look very thin on the ground. Jono''s a  decent prem goal scorer, but I can''t agree that he''s good enough to start for England. Nor can I agree that Defoe and Bent are either. 

I guess McClaren''s probably planning to play Rooney up front on his own with Dyer sitting just behind him......any thoughts about the squad or how we''ll line up?

Maclaren must have totally lost the plot not picking barry,as for phil neville thats got to be the biggest joke ever.I fear for our future under him bring back graham taylor i say

Phil Neville is a football genius... [;)]Barton''s omission smacks of politics to me, but I must say I''m pleased that, for once, Jenas isn''t in the squad! Unless he''s injured?  Our midfield looks really strong, we just need a manager who knows how a midfield should work.There are a number of players I would say are not good enough for the England squad regularly, and unfortunately at least 2 of them are in the strike force (Johnson and Bent).  Neville would hopefully not be in were it not for the injury to Bridge and Downing easily makes way for Joe Cole, imo.For me, the team on Saturday should be                            RobinsonRichards*   Ferdinand      Terry      CarragherLennon        Gerrard    Hargreaves    Downing/Dyer?                    Rooney    Johnson/DefoeJohnson or Defoe for simply being the best of a bad bunch, Lampard needs some time on the bench imo and Lennon should be allowed to roam a little and get at the defences.* Neville has just come off injured for United against Bolton...     

The decision is leave Gareth Barry out just about sums up how useless Steve McClaren is. Complete and utter phoney.

Also thought David Bentley deserved a call up too.