Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Biggest Problem is lack of Reserve Games

Sorry but this situation is now beyond a joke - the last game was the 5th december a month and a half ago. No wonder are fringe players don''t make an impact in the first team Peter Thorne, Ryan Jarvis and Paul McVeigh to name but three all  have looked well off the place when played - is it any wonder? You can say what you want about professionals players but anyone who has played football to a reasonable standard knows that match fitness is only achieved by playing competitive matches something are fringe players just aren''t doing on a regular basis. When was the last time Paul Mcveigh played 90 minutes?

Plus it''s not just players on the fringes of the team, poor Rossi Jarvis I mean too old for the youth team but quite in the first team picture - despite no injury problems he has played only 7 games all season god knows what sort of performances he and halliday will put in at torquay

We need more matches of better quality if not anyone outside the first team will struggle to make any impact. What happen to the old avon insurance combo matches every week players getting understanding together knocking in goals etc...

I don''t know why the club don''t try and arrange a few more friendlies like the one against Tottenham. Alternatively, they could invite the likes of Kings Lynn down for the odd game just to give the fringe players some match practice - in the case of a few of them Kings Lynn is just about their level!!

We were excluded from the top league due to poor performances.

We have to make the best of our situation and if it means loaning the better players out to other clubs then so be it. It''s our only option right now.

You are spot on Ulf. I posted about this earlier in the week As far as I can make out we have had just 10 reserve fixtures all season, only 4 in the last 3 months and only 1 in the last 6 weeks! How are the players not in the first team going to be match fit and ready to step up while this crazy situation remains!

If my memory is right in the old football combination we used to have roughly as many reserve games as first team games. Maybe thats part of the reason the long term injured players don''t get back to full fitness.

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]I don''t know why the club don''t try and arrange a few more friendlies like the one against Tottenham. Alternatively, they could invite the likes of Kings Lynn down for the odd game just to give the fringe players some match practice - in the case of a few of them Kings Lynn is just about their level!![/quote]

I agree or even fix a monthly game up with Ipswich reserves, they are in the same boat as us and are desperate for more games.

We were exclude from the premier reserve league because all the Premier sides did not want to play against Championship sides and their league became North and South.When we get promoted we go back in.