Sign in to follow this  
The Priest

Brown! From a Sunderland message board

Once again posts cross in moderation - and I was so pleased with myself for the putdowns! No worries Smudger - now I look stupid.(er?).

The omens are not good. Brown has come up through  the Sunderland Accadamy  and  the view  up  there  is  based on  not just as he is now but how he has developed as a player.Why do we keep buying other peoples rubbish, Grant has got no more of a clue than the last idiot.How on earth is the Club celebrating this signing as a great event. we only get the left overs.

[quote user="Fat Barman"]Once again posts cross in moderation - and I was so pleased with myself for the putdowns! No worries Smudger - now I look stupid.(er?).
[/quote]

I don''t mind the put downs FB...  and in this case I asked for it....  Your intial post was there an hour or two before mine while there was a mix up during moderation of the recent posts...  [;)]  [sn]

Take it that you agree with the counter arguement I was trying to make referring to Kevin Doyle though???    

Doyle was a hell of a find - not many of those around. I''m in the suck-it-and-see camp on Brown. This is Grant''s first real chance to change things, so I''m giving time before judging.The last three signings before Grant have turned out OK (if I''m right they were Earnie, Croft & Dublin), let''s hope Chadwick, Brown + ''?'' slot in well too.

why can''t we sign a lower teams good players, ie. Billy Sharp etc, or much as we did with Dean Ashton then buy another Championship sides cast off''s! Wat stops us?

Money?
Manager?
Board?
Our dimishing reputation?

I''m glad at least some got what I was talking about re: the Crouch comparison.  I kind-of expected that some would go completely overboard denouncing it, but the point was that the main thrust of this thread was that we should trust other fans opinions of anyone we sign.  Well Villa fans hated Crouch and his time there was a flop (37 games, 6 goals), proving my point, sometimes players fit at a club, sometimes they don''t.   As far as I am concerned we can make our own minds up. 

Actually, those who think Crouch started his career at QPR are wrong, he started at Spurs and had a loan spell in some backwater before he went to Shepherd''s Bush, and 10 goals in 42 games at QPR is hardly stunning (not sure where your 14 goals in 1 season comes from?).  Pompey were actually a poor Championship side who had just avoided relegation when they bought him, not the Prem side of now - but yes he did well there.  Then there was the flop at Villa, and us.  By the age of  22  we were actually his 6th club. 

But that is my point entirely: sometimes players fit at a club, sometimes they don''t.  I can happily rest my case: that is all I was saying and he proves the point perfectly.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I''m glad at least some got what I was talking about re: the Crouch comparison.  I kind-of expected that some would go completely overboard denouncing it, but the point was that the main thrust of this thread was that we should trust other fans opinions of anyone we sign.  Well Villa fans hated Crouch and his time there was a flop (37 games, 6 goals), proving my point, sometimes players fit at a club, sometimes they don''t.   As far as I am concerned we can make our own minds up. 

Actually, those who think Crouch started his career at QPR are wrong, he started at Spurs and had a loan spell in some backwater before he went to Shepherd''s Bush, and 10 goals in 42 games at QPR is hardly stunning (not sure where your 14 goals in 1 season comes from?).  Pompey were actually a poor Championship side who had just avoided relegation when they bought him, not the Prem side of now - but yes he did well there.  Then there was the flop at Villa, and us.  By the age of  22  we were actually his 6th club. 

But that is my point entirely: sometimes players fit at a club, sometimes they don''t.  I can happily rest my case: that is all I was saying and he proves the point perfectly.

[/quote]

This is a good point. Nearly every club will have players that are "cast offs" from other clubs. 2 of our best players of recent times in Hux & Iwan had not settled or done the business at previous clubs. Crouch was ridiculed during his time at Villa - this of course does not mean that Brown will be playing for England in a couple of years! He may well turn out to be a poor player but we should give him time to show what he can or can''t do and this means he should be judged over more than just a couple of games. Remember Iwan was rubbish during his first year here and equally Keith Scott scored on his first 2 games for us..........

[quote user="cityangel"]

Welcome Chris Brown, enjoy your first game and ignore the moaners on here who havent seen you play yet!!

Yes footballers do read these message boards!!!

[/quote]

If they do Angel  , then its all part of the initiation  process  !  like ... if  he goes jelly  after reading  all the stuff about him  ,  he`s just not got the backbone   to prove himself  , am I right ?