Sign in to follow this  
Colourful Canary

4-2-4 IS THE PROBLEM

Now let''s get this straight. Huckerby and Croft are NOT midfielders.

We do NOT play 4-3-3 or 4-2-2. We play a crazy 4-2-4 formation most games, be it home or away.

We have a midfield of only two ( very ineffective and lazy) players, who are over-run every time, and the two wingers do nothing to control the play (apart from running fast and losing the ball).We therefore can''t be surprised that we fail to dominate games. This formation is daft, unless you are Man United, who have Giggs and Ronaldo, or later in a game when you are chasing a result. The sooner we start fielding three, or even four, genuine midfielders from the start, the better. 

I don''t agree. I think it''s more than possible to play 4-4-2 with two wingers Home and Away, IF the midfielders have a good understanding and work ethic. Also if one of the wingers bombs on, then the other will need to tuck in, but with intelligent players this needn''t be a problem. I genuinely think Hucks and Croft together is workable, but only if the midfielders do their bit, and at the moment the movement, positioning and tempo of the central two is sadly lacking. Holt and Francis made it work as they were both box-to-box battlers. Robinson''s lightweight in the extreme and Etuhu hasn''t got the intelligence to know when to bomb on and when to sit.

The matches i have watched this season , we play more like a 4-2-2. I have yet to see all 4 midfielders giving their all in the same game!

Maybe things will change when we have Chadwick back again as he looked impressive in his debut.  Bearing in mind that we have four games in 10 days it would be nice to see Grant use all his squad.  Personally I think we would benefit from having a couple of youngsters on the field.  I know it won''t happen but I would like to see the following line up assuming all are available:

Gallagher

Colin   Dublin   Shackell   Drury

Croft   Safri   Rossi Jarvis  Chadwick

Earnshaw   Huckerby 

Subs:  Lewis,  Ryan Jarvis, Etuhu, Spillane, Doherty

Unfortunately assuming Drury is not fit then I can see Grant sticking with his tried and tested first choice team  for QPR as follows:

Gallagher

Colin   Doherty   Shackell   Hughes

Croft   Safri   Etuhu   Huckerby

Dublin   Earnshaw

Subs:  Lewis, Fleming, Thorne, McVeigh, Ryan Jarvis

Who knows Grant may surprise us all, but don''t hold your breath.