Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

IS IT THE PLAYERS OR THE TACTICS?

I notice that some players have come out and said they didn''t perform against Plymouth and let everyone down, but in my opinion it is the managers tactics week in week out that let us down.  He seems determined to play his 4-5-1 formation home and away and funnily enough he doesn''t appear to have any alternatives.

It only took a few games before opposition managers worked out what Worthy''s tactics were this season.  Micky Adams summed it up when he said ''we looked at how Norwich play and came up with a plan to beat them, and it worked''.  Holloway said he expected more from the Norwich side, but I think this was said tongue in cheek because he knew how we were going to play and also came up with a plan to beat us.  Holloway even tried to defend Worthy by saying managers should be given a fair chance.  I am sure he will be keen to see Worthy stay in charge because indirectly it will enhance Plymouth''s chances of staying up.  Peter Taylor stifled us in the first half and then changed his team around early in the second, dominated the half and subsequently went on to get the winner.  In my opinion all three of these managers did their homework and were rewarded.

What makes things even more frustrating is that Worthy is supposed to be only one of a few managers with this top EUFA coaching qualification.

I didn''t get where I am today without showing passion on the touchline with my arms folded.

nailed it there mate,how many times have we seen plan "a" used blindly untill we have been stuffed stupid,how many times did we go in to games with defencivly in the prem and brought on the striker with under 5 minutes to go?

and as you rightly say for someone with the top coaching badge he shows that you need to have a bit of imagination to go along with all his pretty pieces of paper

but all the blame can not be left just at his door,the board have shown very little leadership,it seems that it is left to the fans to force the issue which is way too late,and as for the complete lack of transfer success, it has to be the board there too ,i am sure with just two signings in key areas we would have looked a lot stronger this year,it does look like we have a see no evil hear no evil board,its about time they stood up too

Considering the man''s been here for six years, it shouldn''t take any opposing manager too long to plan how they are going to play against us.  Yes, the UEFA coaching badge must mean something on a piece of paper, but on the field it means sod all.  Have we benefitted from someone tactically astute, able to work out how to stop oppositon forwards effectively, how to stifle opposing teams and DICTATE how the game is played (even at home).  No, the coaching qualification means nothing, except it''s dusted every week at Colney....where it hangs over the manager''s head as he sits at his desk and ponders his battle plans.

If I were UEFA I would seriously consider just who was getting these coaching awards, maybe they need updating?  Rather like the driving test...

How many more times are we all going to open the EDP (or read online) yet another player saying, sorry we didn''t play well, but we will next time - yes, surprise, surprise this is one of Nigel''s most long standing tactics, let the players take the blame.  I may be wrong, but I can''t remember him ever standing up and taking responsibility for a game before Plymouth.  Last season it was all very pleasing, work rate, positives.....or blasting the players for not turning up. 

He can see the writing on the wall, despite feeling no pressure.  He''s got away with it for so long, why shouldn''t he think he can go on churning out dross forever?   Sometimes we play well for a few games, but that could be attributed to the lack of quality in the opposing team, many things.  We are not consistently dominant of other teams, we don''t play to our strengths, we don''t have enough tactically astute players, a captain who the rest look up to....Maybe the players don''t know what they are expected to do.  Is the training adequate?  With a paper thin squad Worthington was always going to have to make do and mend.  He has only himself to blame for that. 

Other managers coming out in support.  Well of course Holloway wants him to keep his job, he''s expecting another three points later on in the season to help Plymouth isn''t he! 

Ultimately its down to worthless,but even if his tatics,line up &formation is wrong it doesnt leave excuses as to why the players under perform so badly. They are proffesional players lucky enough to be born with the gift of football in there bodies.They do something most of us on here would love to do for nothing. So players must be to blame aswell,after all once the game has started there isnt a great deal worthless can do from the sidelines.By no way shape or form will i ever stick up for worthless,but for a proffesional footballer not to be able to do the basics in a match is totally down to each individual.

Unfortunately I believe part of the problem with the players is psychological, in that they''re finding it increasingly difficult to motivate themselves for games. 

Look at someone like McVeigh - what''s the point in him playing a blinder, because when Hucks is back he''ll be straight back into the team.  And yes he should try to prove Nigel wrong, but he''s tried that so many times before and still been relegated to the bench or even just the reserves.

This problem, however, stems directly from the manager, like so many things that are currently wrong with this great club.

Worthy is just like Sven - has his favourites, stubbornly refuses to admit his mistakes, and only ever has one tactical plan.  Maybe a new chant should be "Are you Sven in disguise?"

It''s also interesting that Robinson and Docherty, who have both spoke out about the performance at Plymouth and before regarding other poor games, are indicating that they are determined to put it right on Sunday. 

The assumption from them is that they will be playing in the next game and this is another problem.  Players have no competition for their place, of course, there are youngsters that can/should come in, but certain players seem guaranteed a place, for whatever reason, and they know it! 

I know the term comfort zone has been used a lot, but it''s very true and very unhealthy situation for NCFC...

The slump also coincided with Mckenzie''s parting jibes & the closure of the transfer window without any successful signings. Based on the effects of Francis & Ashton last season, I''m sure that these events this season have had a demoralising effect. The squad size is not ideal but this should make the players work for each other more.