Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Worthington's efforts summed up nicely

http://www.thenest-ncfc.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=286&mode=&order=0&thold=0

[Quote User="The Coroner"]Since then the failings have been so familiar and repetitious that looking back,it’s a bit like watching Groundhog Day –

· Far more bad signings than good ones.

· Manager ‘falling out’ with key personnel.

· Less players coming in than going out.

· Tactics that don’t suit the personnel asked to carry them out.

· Failing to play to the strengths of key players.

· No ‘Plan B’ when chosen tactics fail.

· Squad imbalance.

· Poor/baffling substitutions.

· Failure to convert chances into goals.

· Failure to take advantage of long periods of possession.

· Substitutions always being made too late to have any impact.

· We still can’t perform away from home.

· We still can’t take corners.

· We still can’t defend corners.

· We still don’t score from set-pieces.

It’s Nigel’s team, they’re his players, they play to his tactics and he must now shoulder the blame.

By The Way……………………………

It’s only right to also highlight the fact that we also have much to be thankful to Worthy for. Namely –

1.He ensured that the team that the unbelievably awful Hamilton built did not go down.

2.The Play-Off season was totally unexpected and an amazing over-acheivement from an ordinary squad of players.

3.The promotion season was fantastic,probably the best ‘feel-good’ season that I can remember.Players,fans & management came together as one and the City was a fantastic place to be for 7 or 8 months.

4.The Premiership season was a disappointment in terms of it’s finish but at least we got to see players of the calibre of Henry,Rooney,Shearer and co playing at Carrow Road instead of the usual dross.

5.Full houses at Carrow Road in the Championship ? Unthinkable before he took over.

6.Five years ago we would never have thought it possible that established ‘name’ players such as Huckerby & Earnshaw would sign for Norwich.Nigel managed to sell the club to players like that and it will make it easier in the future to attract players of a similar standing.

So,it’s not all bad but it’s simply run it’s course.At some point we all run out of ideas and excuses.That point came last Saturday for Nigel as far as I’m concerned though I’m sure others will say it’s long overdue..I wish him well and thank him for the good times. [/Quote]

I couldn''t have put it better myself.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

http://www.thenest-ncfc.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=286&mode=&order=0&thold=0

[Quote User="The Coroner"]Since then the failings have been so familiar and repetitious that looking back,it’s a bit like watching Groundhog Day –

· Far more bad signings than good ones.

· Manager ‘falling out’ with key personnel.

· Less players coming in than going out.

· Tactics that don’t suit the personnel asked to carry them out.

· Failing to play to the strengths of key players.

· No ‘Plan B’ when chosen tactics fail.

· Squad imbalance.

· Poor/baffling substitutions.

· Failure to convert chances into goals.

· Failure to take advantage of long periods of possession.

· Substitutions always being made too late to have any impact.

· We still can’t perform away from home.

· We still can’t take corners.

· We still can’t defend corners.

· We still don’t score from set-pieces.

It’s Nigel’s team, they’re his players, they play to his tactics and he must now shoulder the blame.

By The Way……………………………

It’s only right to also highlight the fact that we also have much to be thankful to Worthy for. Namely –

1.He ensured that the team that the unbelievably awful Hamilton built did not go down.

2.The Play-Off season was totally unexpected and an amazing over-acheivement from an ordinary squad of players.

3.The promotion season was fantastic,probably the best ‘feel-good’ season that I can remember.Players,fans & management came together as one and the City was a fantastic place to be for 7 or 8 months.

4.The Premiership season was a disappointment in terms of it’s finish but at least we got to see players of the calibre of Henry,Rooney,Shearer and co playing at Carrow Road instead of the usual dross.

5.Full houses at Carrow Road in the Championship ? Unthinkable before he took over.

6.Five years ago we would never have thought it possible that established ‘name’ players such as Huckerby & Earnshaw would sign for Norwich.Nigel managed to sell the club to players like that and it will make it easier in the future to attract players of a similar standing.

So,it’s not all bad but it’s simply run it’s course.At some point we all run out of ideas and excuses.That point came last Saturday for Nigel as far as I’m concerned though I’m sure others will say it’s long overdue..I wish him well and thank him for the good times. [/Quote]

I couldn''t have put it better myself.

[/quote]Except you never do put it that way yourself [8-|]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Except you never do put it that way yourself [8-|]

[/quote]

Not got a way with words me i''m afraid... Like a bit of an argy and a bit of wind up too unfortunatly!!  Not much of a Journo really - Rick Waghorn need not worry!! [:$]

[/quote]

Not too much difference between us then [;)]

oops.. nearly forgot the [8-|]

Just read the article you refer to and it''s a brilliant article.

I can''t think of anything that I would add or subtract from either list.The bloke that writes it has probably expressed most of the 20,000 or so ''in between'' supporter''s opinions perfectly.

Does anyone remember how upset Delia was to see that nice Mr. Hamilton go?

The full house at games is led mainly by the seating situation and the early optimistic season ticket sales. If it was still standing in the ground, I doubt the gates would be anything like they are now.........and I''m sure quite a few are wondering if they did the right thing by buying that season ticket.

Our season in the Premiership was appalling.......and it shows how ''little'' we view ourselves now when we are just pleased to see opposition players gracing our turf. We once had those quality players here in a yellow shirt.

Huckerby turned out to be a decent player.....but it could quite easily have gone the other way. He was a flop at other clubs. Earnshaw was not liked at West Brom, but the signs are hopeful that at this level he is ok. Not a great average when you look at the tripe he has brought here in his time.

The point is.......even a penguin given the job would get a few things right...............

I agree with the article 100%.

That to me is difference between myself and those who seem to want to keep worthy.

I can look at all the points, of course everything and every signing Worthy has made has not been bad.

They will almost never admit he has ever done anything poorly.

Failure to convert chances into goals - Surely the fault of the players?

Also, I agree with most points, especially the substitutions, I always think that teams should take advanatge of fresh legs and i don''t mean for 3 mins! the problem is the quality of subs!

There''s two that I think have been missed from the "bad" list:

1. Failure to develop the younger players, leaving the likes of  the Jarvis brothers in the reserves when they need first team experience (eg the Wolves home game last season- nothing riding on it so why not play the youngsters from the start?)

2. Over reliance on loan signings which destabilise the team, and not playing them for bizarre reasons (Johansson, Rehman last year, Lisbie- why oh why?)

[quote user="Marty"]

Failure to convert chances into goals - Surely the fault of the players?

Also, I agree with most points, especially the substitutions, I always think that teams should take advanatge of fresh legs and i don''t mean for 3 mins! the problem is the quality of subs!

[/quote] Possibly the result of training? Before the Coventry game I was watching our strikers train by play a one-two with the goalie coach and then shoot for goal. It was appalling and looked like they had never practiced shooting before in their lives! I would have backed myself to have scored more goals than Thorne, Hendo and Croft did between them that day!