Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Martin Hunter, the Board or pigheaded Worthington?

Having been to a couple of the pre-season friendlies, and to the match Tuesday, I was wondering what might have sparked this turnaround in tactics. In the pre-season friendlies I watched in amazement as the ball was played along the floor, no matter what, for better or for worse. These aren’t the Worthington tactics of the last 5 years!?! This new emphasis on passing is already paying dividends, but why has it happened?

Why do you think it has happened?  Martin Hunter, gentle nudging from the Board, Worthy trying to prove everyone wrong.....

http://www.thenest-ncfc.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=153

If you bothered to read interviews or web casts with Flem, Hux, Drury and Doncaster you would know that they all said that hoofball was never the tactics set out by Worthy in the first place.

I can''t understand why anyone would believe that any manager would be stupid enough as to purposely play a long ball game to a midget.  Flem gave what he felt were the reasons for the players using the long ball in his web chat session on the offy site maybe you should read it.  Maybe you have but have decided he was lying or to ignore it?

If it is indeed true that the tactics were to play the ball on the deck then the question is merely, what has happened over that has made the players feel confident enough to play the tactics set out?  Simple answer would be Hunter.  Likely answer is Hunter, Worthington allowing a change to new coaching methods, no massive turnover of players for the first time in 3 years and the players bucking there idea''s up a bit. 

Do you really want an answer or are you really just trying to promote your article from another website? [:p]

Why shoe-horn the pigheaded bit in there, Paul?

If he called you that (which you are, like we all can be!) then you would call for his head.

Anyway, you know the answer. The WO will say Hunter for manager, the "KTF" will say a bit of both and nobody will say the board.

To be honest I didnt see the other blahblahblah thread until a few minutes ago or I would of added this to the end of that.  I think it was very funny that last season, the crowd chanting HOOF!! actually managed to get them playing it on the floor, whereas all the training from Webb, Worthy and Foley had failed.  More worryingly however was how uncomfortable some of the players looked in possession.  I truely beleive the training regime has changed. A pre-season during which only passing football was allowed has been a masterstroke - If it was worthy''s idea good on him.  It has meant they just arent used to lumping it forwards.  We have some good players and you can pass your way out of this division.  The balance Croft has added has freed up space and players also - we are lucky we didnt get Plan B Howard eh.... otherwise Croft Wouldnt be here now.....

Last season, I reckon Worthy had planned to play Ashton as a target man, they trained accordingly and as you say the long ball is easier to play then passing football.  Also I didnt see Worthy complaining about the long balls from the dugout during the first half of the season, in fact he was seen ordering Colin to lump it into orbit........ We all remember his ''earning the right to play'' article about how you could only play passing football after 60 minutes of ''earning and hoofs''.  he is from the Howard Wilkinson school of tactics

I guess I am doing my bit for the other site - they are doing a good job. Especially with the recent excellent article on Hunter! [:P] Its far better than the tosh I write! 

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Why not give it a rest ''Foghorn'' ? Attacks on Nigel Worthington are so last year. Get with it, daddio ![/quote]

Top 6 or Worthy Out....  Its always been my stance.

Anyway I don''t actually think I attacked Worthington in there...

Paul, can you play football? That''s not a jibe, I''m genuinely interested.

I''m one of these that suffers with lack of confidence. When it''s there, I''m a fairly good footballer for a local Saturday league standard team. If I was fit enough to play these days!

But when it''s gone for whatever reason, if I am scared of making a mistake, or I have already made a mistake, or I know the player that''s marking me has got my number or a zillion other excuses I am bloody dreadful. I just want to get rid of the ball as soon as I get it, or better still, I''d rather not have it at all!

You can''t train 25+ year olds technique or football skills. Honestly. Wenger reckons that 16/17 year olds are already too old to learn. So, mark my words, the training routine is not going to affect more than 10% of a players game.

In my opinion it is the confidence factor. Possibly Hunter, possibly a clean slate and a good crowd, possibly feeling more settled in their envirmonment, probably a good pre-season and definitely fitness.

" Anyway I don''t actually think I attacked Worthington in there... "

No, calling someone pigheaded is not an attack amongst you people.

Now lighten up young lad or head off down the A140 where whinging is actually an obligation.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

If you bothered to read interviews or web casts with Flem, Hux, Drury and Doncaster you would know that they all said that hoofball was never the tactics set out by Worthy in the first place.

I can''t understand why anyone would believe that any manager would be stupid enough as to purposely play a long ball game to a midget.  Flem gave what he felt were the reasons for the players using the long ball in his web chat session on the offy site maybe you should read it.  Maybe you have but have decided he was lying or to ignore it?

If it is indeed true that the tactics were to play the ball on the deck then the question is merely, what has happened over that has made the players feel confident enough to play the tactics set out?  Simple answer would be Hunter.  Likely answer is Hunter, Worthington allowing a change to new coaching methods, no massive turnover of players for the first time in 3 years and the players bucking there idea''s up a bit. 

Do you really want an answer or are you really just trying to promote your article from another website? [:p]

[/quote]

HUH? If Worthy did not want them hoofing it then he must have totally lost control of the team.

Any players/team who deliberately disobeyed a manager should be dropped/disciplined.

Thats why so many people want Worthy OUT. He did "purposely play a long ball game to a midget" as you put it.

Everybody was shaking their heads.

Thank God for the protests and all the moaning last year as we now have a new head coach and a new style of play (hopefully it will continue)

Even Worthy admitted that today which I am sure made the KTF cringe after they have spent the last 2 days saying its all Worthys doing.

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

[/quote]

HUH? If Worthy did not want them hoofing it then he must have totally lost control of the team.

Any players/team who deliberately disobeyed a manager should be dropped/disciplined.

Thats why so many people want Worthy OUT. He did "purposely play a long ball game to a midget" as you put it.

Everybody was shaking their heads.

Thank God for the protests and all the moaning last year as we now have a new head coach and a new style of play (hopefully it will continue)

Even Worthy admitted that today which I am sure made the KTF cringe after they have spent the last 2 days saying its all Worthys doing.

[/quote]

If you bothered to read any of those interviews / Q&A you would understand what I meant.  Flem stated that the players had resorted to hoofball due to lack of composure on there part.  It''s not about losing control of the team or setting out to play that way.

Did the manager lose control of Rooney in the World Cup, or did the player get sent off of  his own accord.?
Did Klinsmann tell his side to let in two goals in injury time?  I would that that if he didn''t he lost control of his side.

I will accept that it was Worthy''s job last season to give the players the confidence to the play passing football we want to see but I take the word of what the players say over your assumptions every time.  I don''t even recall any references to Worthy''s "hoofball" tactics from Charlton and Jarrett and they both had a pop at him when they left.

Do you have a link to an article where Worthy admits the change in style of football is down to the protests?  Worthy said today:

We have a new coach, new ideas and new thinking. It''s been a magnificent appointment. We are all of the same mind in that we want to pass the ball and Martin is part of that. We didn''t pass it well last season for different reasons, it just didn''t happen but that''s what we''re going to do.”

How do you construe that to mean that the protests have changed the football played?  It suggests to me that they decided to employ a coach who could get the team to play the way they want them too.

[quote user="Mook"]

I''m one of these that suffers with lack of confidence. When it''s there, I''m a fairly good footballer for a local Saturday league standard team. If I was fit enough to play these days!

But when it''s gone for whatever reason, if I am scared of making a mistake, or I have already made a mistake, or I know the player that''s marking me has got my number or a zillion other excuses I am bloody dreadful. I just want to get rid of the ball as soon as I get it, or better still, I''d rather not have it at all!

You can''t train 25+ year olds technique or football skills. Honestly. Wenger reckons that 16/17 year olds are already too old to learn. So, mark my words, the training routine is not going to affect more than 10% of a players game.

In my opinion it is the confidence factor. Possibly Hunter, possibly a clean slate and a good crowd, possibly feeling more settled in their envirmonment, probably a good pre-season and definitely fitness.

[/quote]

I am a hopeless footballer.  I will kick anyones ass at table football however.

I beleive confidence comes from a lot of things, beleiving in the managers tactics,  Being comfortable playing in the position you are picked in.  happy with your teammates, and confident in them (partly why Dean Ashton lost heart).  the crowd can help.  From what I have seen in pre season games, it has been entirely different to all other pre-season game sI have seen under worthington. There seems to have been a different emphasis in training.  Whereas before it seemed laps where the ethosm, battling and running, now it looks like technical ability is being brushed up on more.  I could be wrong, but comments from worthy in the past seem to back up the fact he loves a clogger and Wilkinsonesque long balls.

[quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

I am a hopeless footballer.  I will kick anyones ass at table football however.

I beleive confidence comes from a lot of things, beleiving in the managers tactics,  Being comfortable playing in the position you are picked in.  happy with your teammates, and confident in them (partly why Dean Ashton lost heart).  the crowd can help.  From what I have seen in pre season games, it has been entirely different to all other pre-season game sI have seen under worthington. There seems to have been a different emphasis in training.  Whereas before it seemed laps where the ethosm, battling and running, now it looks like technical ability is being brushed up on more.  I could be wrong, but comments from worthy in the past seem to back up the fact he loves a clogger and Wilkinsonesque long balls.

Martin Hunter''s made a difference, it seems - well, we can see a difference, and Worthy says Hunter''s made a difference. So well done the Board and Worthy for getting rid of Steve Foley! Hold it - I was told Foley was the scapegoat for last season''s shambles. OK, maybe Hunter hasn''t made a difference, so well done Worthy for pulling it round! Hang on - I was told Worthy was the real culprit last season. Now I don''t know what to think. My world''s turned upside down.