Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

beware of new parking restrictions on cotman rd!

usually for a midweek match i like to arrive at the bottom end of cotman rd (where it joins thorpe rd) at about 5ish to replace folk who have vacated the public parking there to journey home.  usually the parking bay indicates 2 hours free parking, but is restriction free after 6.30pm.  as usual, i arrived on tuesday - found a space, cushti - then walked into the city for a bite to eat.  i''ve done this for years, no probs.  imagine, my surprise to find a parking ticket slapped on my front windscreen - my upbeat mood after city''s fine performance turned to incredularity as i saw the powers that be (i would describe them differently but for the moderators) at city hall had turned this public parking bay into a PERMIT HOLDERS only bay Mon-Sat, restrictions applying until after 6.30pm  - the warden had been round at 6.30 - obviously knowing he''d catch alot of people going to the match who were not aware of the new parking changes.  i''m not sure if this new parking regime applies to all of the cotman road parking bays - but beware unless you want a £30 fine like me, because after a local campaign by residents over people using this area of north thorpe to park on football days, this appears to be the city councils answer.  however, i''m going to appeal this obvious abuse of power - because on a busy terraced street, permit only parking is  an obvious  neccessity and completetly fair and reasonable to the people who live on those congested streets - but on cotman road, where huge detached houses with long drives prevail, the use of permit only parking is frankly ridiculous.  i can''t imagine  they will be used at all by the residents, unless they have visitors by the bucketload.this whole thing smacks of officaldom doing favours for the few, rather than serving the interests of the whole. how the city council has got away this i''ll never know - its bang out of order, i can''t for a moment see how it would fill the criteria for permit holding parking - if there is any.

Commiserations LGT. Just flipping revenue collecting if you ask me. But then I suppose they have to somehow fund digging up EVERY road that I use to get home from work. Not that I''m taking it personally or anything.

This happen a lot late last season around the thorpe area. If parking to get to a match and having to leave 2+ hours before to get a parking space!

I here that they now have a Park & ride a Postwick for match days?

How much is it for season ticket holders?

Cheers

My girlfriends parents live on cotman road, and i can fully understand why the parking restrictions were imposed. On matchdays the entire area becomes a massive car park whilst this does not cause any direct problems as the roads are wide and everyone does indeed have driveways it is still a conservation area and the sight of 100''s of cars detracts from what is one of the nicest areas of our fine city.

In all honesty the residents of the area tolerated the football parking as it was after all not that frequent, what got the parking restrictions imposed was when loads of office workers in the city started using the area as a car park everyday rather than spend a few quid using a designated car park.

Although having said that i think that it is unfair to punish people who were unaware of the changes and more should be done to inform people when changes are made to parking restrictions.

I live near Cotman Road and I''m afraid that Permits were inevitable. As another poster has already mention, the streets off Thorpe Road are used as free parking for loads of commuters working in the city centre. It''s very annoying when you can''t park near your house on a normal working day.

Therefore I say to all of you who cannot afford the £2.50 Charity car parks all along Thorpe Road, you''ll have to buy a house nearer the ground, or stop being so tight. Haha.