Sign in to follow this  
John Boubepo

England/Sven Playing Worthinton style Tactics

[quote]I think that there will be an improvement when we play teams who aren''t just sitting 9 men in front of their penalty area, holding out for a draw. There just isn''t room for Owen to run into in this situation - Rooney is far more suited to this type of play. And for anyone who thinks that teams at this level will roll over - it just doesn''t happen. One more point, played 2, won 2, 6 points, goals for 3, goals against 0.

But congratulations for thinking of a new way to have a go at Worthington. Wink [;)] [/quote]

I entirely agree with you mcdougall, I would have thought this thread would have died a death after Sweden struggled so badly against Paraguay for the same reasons we did, Paraguay just didn''t leave their own half except for brief counter attacks which thankfully for us ended in long-range shots, and they were organised enough to close both us and Sweden down effectively.  Still, we''re through after 2 games, but people do like to have a whinge.

Ok I get it - as long we don''t play anyone better than Paraguay  and we don''t have to play in heat of more than 15 degrees and we don''t have to play any country with a climate of more than 20 degrees -  England will win the world cup.

I just love the KTF''s logic

Perhaps if Norwich play all their 46 games at home next season and don''t play any team better than Peterborough Worthington might keep his job.

Perhaps Brazil will learn an important lesson and play hoof football in 2010

Or perhaps we should get real here and accept England were very poor during their first two games and Norwich have also been very poor for two complete seasons - why pretend any different?

Yes, England were pretty poor during most of the 2 games so far, but they weren''t very poor for all of the two games - see the difference there? It''s fact versus fantasy. And it wasn''t a tactical issue, it was simply several key players under-performing. The same players had played very well during the final warm-up games. It was nothing to do with Sven''s selections or substitutions, which, seeing as they produced the results, seem pretty well-judged. You pick different teams and formations for different opposition at this level. He''ll be criticised from every quarter by "pundits" (windbag ex-players with axes to grind and nothing to lose), who only actually agree among themselves about one thing - Sven''s got it wrong. Their own opinions, for example, about the side for the Sweden game vary from "it doesn''t matter who plays in this game, so protect Gerard, Lampard and Crouch by not playing them" to "we have to play the first eleven to give them time to get up to speed". It doesn''t matter what you think as long as you''re rubbishing Sven.

So England won''t win the World Cup - tell us something less bleeding obvious. It looks as if it will be Argentina. But that doesn''t make the blinkered negativity we see on this board justifiable.

HJ, what on earth are you talking about? I most certainly am not a KTFer (as you seem to have lost sight of the dividing line between the Norwich and England situation - are you an Erikson Outer? [:)]) I''m just saying that we have been playing teams whose game plan has been to stop us playing. And I think that when we play more positive teams we will have the space to play better - simple as that! 

Nice to see that I''m not the only one who thinks that HJ has lost the thread of this thread.

It appears that the poor fellow has started typing before thinking, relying upon the same tired old arguments, and forgetting what the conversation was about.   

Old Boy - it is quite clearly a tactical issue - as soon as Eriksson changed the approach/formation against T&T and brought on two genuine wide men the game was transformed, England were far more positive and looked a much better side.

For virtually the whole game against Paraguay and for most of the T&T game England sat back, were far too negative and simply lumped long balls up the pitch. it was very reminiscent of watching norwich, Sven only saving grace being that he has better players so he can get away with it. Scraping undeserved narrow wins out of such games has long been one of Sven''s hallmarks as it became Worthys for the second half of last season. So yes there are an awful lot of similarities between the way Sven''s England play the game and Worthy''s Norwich do.

Actually i think England''s biggest problem has been his insistence on playing lampard and Gerrard together so i am interested to see how we get on tonight with Hargreaves. Although he has been much maligned it would not surprise me if we play a lot better with a genuine defensive midfielder.

Sorry Mac, my post wasn''t aimed at you, it just appeared under your post and appeared that way, it was actually aimed at KTFers in general who refuse to accept any criticism of the England or Norwich management even after poor performances against inferior opposition, even after glearingly obvious tactical mistakes have been made they would rather blame the weather or  make out  the rank outside opposition were packed with World class players!

Outplayed by Sweden but between 9pm and 11pm it''s always very hot in Germany! and Sweden are used to playing in extreme high temperature, it must be scorching in Stockholm plus Sweden had 17 players behind the ball and their World class player who plays in the reserves at Sheff Wed made all the difference!

Cant wait for the explanations  when Norwich kick off, the excuses are  becoming so entertaining I think I will have to become a KTFer myself!