Sign in to follow this  
The Judge

A shake up still needed...?

Although I have to say I have wanted Worthington out - and still think it would be the best thing for this club to move forwards i do unfortunately feel that he will be here at the start of next season.

Even the most ardent Worthington out supporter must realise this now - he has had an extremely lucky string of results at home that have defused the opportunity for the majority (and yes it is a majority) to voice their opinions.

However here is a question for those who feel Worthington should stay and be given another chance - should the whole training and background staff stay the same aswell ?? Whether you have wanted him to stay or not no-one can say we have, or indeed are currently, playing good football - and the quality in the squad is extremely low. Someone phoned in on canary call on saturday stating we play much better with 5 in mid field and should adopt that approach next season - well I would make the statement back to him - we only play better with 5 in mid field because those midfielders we pick when we play 4-4-2 just aren''t good enough - FACT.

Something is wrong at our club on the playing side - different people have opinions to what this is - but which ever side of the fence you sit - to hope by leaving everything as it is and things will magically get better next season would be madness to the extreme - some needs to change - whether it be a new coach or a Director of Football I don''t know - but somthing has to change. It would also appease alot of disguntled fans aswell.

But do you think the board will do it ?? - thats the question...

One final point - people talk about giving Worthington 10/15 games next season - to me this is even more of a dangerous strategy/plan than getting rid of him now - if we are mid table at this point and the board can no-longer defend he position - who the hell are you going to get in as a manager at that stage of the season - one who is already out of work - or one you are going to have to tempt away from there existing club - paying huge compensation for.. 

I would be interested in views of those who believe Worthington shoud stay in charge - or are you all in the "hope" things will get better camp ??

This is the response I got in a letter from Neil Doncaster - they "hoped" things would get better. An extremely dangerous way to run a business I would suggest... 

Is 6 home wins on the trot "lucky"? I don''t think you can put them all down to just being lucky.Thats been one of the biggest arguments so far this season from the people who want Worthington Out - that the play-off campaign and the promotion season were just lucky.If I was a player involved in either I would be outraged! Was it luck that got us promotion or the inspired signings on loan initially of Huckerby, Crouch and Harper? Was it luck that signed Huckerby and Svensson? No, it was the club being ambitious when we were one or two players short of having a real quality side. People forget about Svensson but again he was a very good signing.Luck for me - does not come into it. Did we beat Sheff Utd twice because of luck? No. Because Worthington got the tactics spot on in those two games and the players played well and worked their socks off.Would you class Palaces recent run of average performances as unlucky then?

[quote user="chicken"]Is 6 home wins on the trot "lucky"? I don''t think you can put them all down to just being lucky.

Thats been one of the biggest arguments so far this season from the people who want Worthington Out - that the play-off campaign and the promotion season were just lucky.

If I was a player involved in either I would be outraged! Was it luck that got us promotion or the inspired signings on loan initially of Huckerby, Crouch and Harper? Was it luck that signed Huckerby and Svensson? No, it was the club being ambitious when we were one or two players short of having a real quality side. People forget about Svensson but again he was a very good signing.

Luck for me - does not come into it. Did we beat Sheff Utd twice because of luck? No. Because Worthington got the tactics spot on in those two games and the players played well and worked their socks off.

Would you class Palaces recent run of average performances as unlucky then?
[/quote]

Is losing 19 games just "unlucky" - not on your life mate, what about the 2 nil disaster at burnley where the players didnt bother in the second half??  or the 4 nil down half time at luton, 3 nil down at QPR, 3 nil loss to palace, 4 nil loss to reading, 4-1 loss to palace, complete and utter no shows at Preston, Derby, Wolves, Stoke, Watford.  Lucky 1-1''s at such giants as Hull and Plymouth  defeat at millwall and sheff wednesday

5 MILLION SPENT!!!

Chicken, if Nigel Worthington is so adept at getting his tactics "spot on" explain to me why he has failed to replicate the home form in our away games, 19 defeats in a season (most of them away) does not sound like a manager that has got his tactics "spot on". I agree 6 home wins on the trot is not down to "luck" (nor do I subscribe to the view we were lucky to get promoted) but you have to be honest and say that Sheff Utd apart were were expected to win all those games, and whatever your views we made heavy weather of dispatching (Sheff Utd apart) some poor sides. As for the inspired signings of Huckerby and Co again I agree but would suggest that this season the inspiration has dried up somewhat. Lets stop dwelling on past glories, lets put this dire season behind us and lets (like Mr Doncaster) hope things are better next season.

Chicken

The only reason we signed Hucks, Harper and Crouch that season was becuase Neilsen and Abbey got injured in the space of the same week. If they had remained fit we probably would have finished in the bottom half that season.

Fair enough Chicken - you say luck doesn''t come in to it. OK with that in mind - what is your view on all the games we have lost this season then ?? - you obviously can''t think we were unlucky - which is spot on - we weren''t - We were poor....so what is the reason for those performances then ? - Please enlighten me......