Sign in to follow this  
RobJames

Another lesson

This time from Saturdays opponents

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/04/birmingham-norwich-championship-match-report

"The first-team changing room needed updating with showers out of order and cracked tiles, there was no hot water in parts of the stadium, toilets were broken. It was unloved after years of underinvestment. When the grow lights on the pitch were plugged in earlier in the season it fused the stadium, with the internet and computers crashing, highlighting a previously unknown power fault"

Plenty of ifs. Sacking the manager when 6th to bring in Rooney, had Mowbray been able continue as manager, one extra win. But that would have just papered iver the cracks - a club well worthy of it's surroundings.

Relegation will allow a focus on a different direction, as "There is a drive for a younger profile of player, the under-18s and under-21s are top of their respective divisions and Brady’s influence in player welfare has also been felt at their Henley training base." Shades of what we've been doing for years.

The lesson is Brum are not the exception. In fact almost the rule, as a dozen or so ex PL clubs flounder below us, or worse. L1. Stuck there with little hope of promotion, or even a promotion challenge.  There would be something to wave your phone around, were that to be the case.

City 17th, Brum 6th last Oct. One of us got it right.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RobJames said:

This time from Saturdays opponents

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/04/birmingham-norwich-championship-match-report

"The first-team changing room needed updating with showers out of order and cracked tiles, there was no hot water in parts of the stadium, toilets were broken. It was unloved after years of underinvestment. When the grow lights on the pitch were plugged in earlier in the season it fused the stadium, with the internet and computers crashing, highlighting a previously unknown power fault"

Plenty of ifs. Sacking the manager when 6th to bring in Rooney, had Mowbray been able continue as manager, one extra win. But that would have just papered iver the cracks - a club well worthy of it's surroundings.

Relegation will allow a focus on a different direction, as "There is a drive for a younger profile of player, the under-18s and under-21s are top of their respective divisions and Brady’s influence in player welfare has also been felt at their Henley training base." Shades of what we've been doing for years.

The lesson is Brum are not the exception. In fact almost the rule, as a dozen or so ex PL clubs flounder below us, or worse. L1. Stuck there with little hope of promotion, or even a promotion challenge.  There would be something to wave your phone around, were that to be the case.

City 17th, Brum 6th last Oct. One of us got it right.

Only reason they went down is that bizarre decision to dismiss J Eustace and replace him with the old scouse tub of lard. They will be back and PDQ!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Only reason they went down is that bizarre decision to dismiss J Eustace and replace him with the old scouse tub of lard. They will be back and PDQ!

That rather misses the point.

Birmingham like so many others have been badly mismanaged. Leaving the infrastructure in a mess and having some idiot thinking a new manager, or a couple of 'good' signings would sort out long term failings.

There is no certainty that Eustace would have kept them up either. They have been in decline for a long while, just as others who sought a quick fix, only to see selve stranded mid table.  Relegation will speed up the changes  that appear to be taking place. No more 'papering over the cracks'

L1 is a place you need to get out of in one season or else you can become stuck there.

• Like 1

This is what happens when you get owners who don't care about the club and it's fans.  For all their faults - and all owners have faults - DS and MJW have managed our club in such a way that it still has it's soul, unlike many football clubs who have been bought by glory hunters, caring little for the infrastructure of the club they have bought and the well being of it's fans.

There are still good clubs out there that have sold well, but it is a slippery slope, for when those owners sell on, there is no guarantee they will sell on to someone equally good.  Oh for the German model of fan ownership and stop the nonsense that goes on in the UK where you can even sell to foreign countries governments.

For that we would need an ethical government that ends the culture of selling British assets to foreigners who are only interested in making money at the expense of good practice.  The UK is gradually being stripped of it's assets right across the board.  Football would be a good place to start showing that people are more important than dividends for rich foreigners. Fan ownership is what is needed - 51% of a club is all that is required - and the sooner it happens, the sooner football will stand a chance of becoming a people sport again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/05/2024 at 17:44, lake district canary said:

Rose tinted spectacled ****. 

I think you meant hobby. 

1 - With the exception of Manchester United, our success in Europe has come at the price of billionaire foreign owners.

2 - With the exception of Manchester United, football clubs have been utter money pits for foreign owners.  Billionaire's toys.

3 - if you want to talk about British ownership, my understanding is that Robert Chase's construction companies did quite well out of our building programmes.  Ken Bates was British.  Mike Ashley?

I think you might be selecting your reference points a little narrowly to fit your world view of things.  My point?  British ownership can be good or ****e.  Foreign ownership can be good or ****e.  It's more about the investor than their nationality.

2 hours ago, Bobzilla said:
On 06/05/2024 at 17:44, lake district canary said:

Rose tinted spectacled ****. 

I think you meant hobby. 

1 - With the exception of Manchester United, our success in Europe has come at the price of billionaire foreign owners.

2 - With the exception of Manchester United, football clubs have been utter money pits for foreign owners.  Billionaire's toys.

3 - if you want to talk about British ownership, my understanding is that Robert Chase's construction companies did quite well out of our building programmes.  Ken Bates was British.  Mike Ashley?

I think you might be selecting your reference points a little narrowly to fit your world view of things.  My point?  British ownership can be good or ****e.  Foreign ownership can be good or ****e.  It's more about the investor than their nationality.

I didn't write "Rose tinted spectacled ****". Don't know where you got that quote from. Wasn't me.

11 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I didn't write "Rose tinted spectacled ****". Don't know where you got that quote from. Wasn't me.

What you wrote could be very easily summarised as ‘rose tinted spectacled ****’.  I merely adopted that summation to avoid making an overly long post.  

4 hours ago, Bobzilla said:

What you wrote could be very easily summarised as ‘rose tinted spectacled ****’.  I merely adopted that summation to avoid making an overly long post.  

Very poor summation then.......and the post wasnt that long anyway. If you think that was long then I suggest you stick to twitter or whatever equally ridiculous thing it is called now. 

56 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Very poor summation then.......and the post wasnt that long anyway. If you think that was long then I suggest you stick to twitter or whatever equally ridiculous thing it is called now. 

Three paragraphs of rose tinted spectacly ‘Britain would be great if it weren’t for foreign ownership’ rubbish?  3 lines would be too much.  Seriously.  Empire’s gone and the bogey man usually isn’t foreign.

As for Twitter, it’s owned by a total **** who simply happens to be foreign.  It was better under previous ownership, also foreign.