Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

Sara as an inverted winger?

Wrote in the match thread that I wondered if we have stumbled on something there. Obviously it's hard to tell against such a poor side, but I really liked him in that position. Getting further forward than when he plays as an 8, but more able to find a bit of space and come from deep than when he plays as a 10.

I guess the question mark would be whether he has the necessary engine against the better sides, but while we are so light in those inverted wide positions, he's a great option there.

And given how much stick Wagner gets for his selections, worth saying he got the team bang on today.

In Brazil he was playing as a left sided-ish player. Though Nunez was used at times as a wing-back in Chile and I don't think that would go so well here.

I've always thought we have the set to play 3 in midfield, as seemed to be the DS blueprint and I thought the basis for the purchase of those two players. Makes me shudder a bit, mind, that there might be practical application to anything Dean Smith.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

We’ve played him there before against better opposition and it didn’t work so well…

Have we? I know he's played as a ten, but has he played on the right?

It certainly worked today, and it also allowed us to play Nuñez and Kenny in midfield with Barnes keeping his place. It was a very fluid system which you can get away with against a team like Rotherham, but it would be interesting to see how it goes against a side like Leicester, for example.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man