Sign in to follow this  
mastoola

playing a man light

Posted (edited)

In training do they never play in a scenario against a team when we and they have a player sent off?

I would of thought its a basic training model. To fall apart like we did last night is shocking. 

Edited by mastoola
  • Thanks 1

100%. Yes, we had a man sent off but we should have kept on the front foot and had belief that we are better than middlesborough. Instead we sat back and let them attack.

Those old enough might remember us going 1-0 up away to Man City (at Maine Road!) Man City then had a player sent off! Guess what, we ended up losing 3-1.

The sudden turn from attack to defence was as much a mental switch as due to going a man down. 

Just now, Canary Jedi said:

100%. Yes, we had a man sent off but we should have kept on the front foot and had belief that we are better than middlesborough. Instead we sat back and let them attack.

Those old enough might remember us going 1-0 up away to Man City (at Maine Road!) Man City then had a player sent off! Guess what, we ended up losing 3-1.

The sudden turn from attack to defence was as much a mental switch as due to going a man down. 

Its about keeping structure.  Something our team has been lacking in.  Being drilled into a structure maybe would help? 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

We had acres of space and happily passing it around the back before the red too.  I can understand not being on the front foot, but we should have just regained pace doing that again.  As you say, it just turned on it's head.

I was too pissed off to really take the flow of the game in to see where it changed, but perhaps Boro started to press up as they were happy to stand off previously, and that was enough to switch momentum in their favour?

I just don't get why there was no-one dishing out instructions to just calm the game down for a bit.  Wagner looked like he was about to burst and went quiet on the sideline too, I think he needed time to compose himself... But in that moment is where the message should've been going around the 10 remaining on the pitch.

I think as we had been so dominant there was no immediate concern perhaps, and it was a case of see how things go and get in for half time.  To conceded twice, i'm not sure anyone really saw things turning as quick as they did(?)

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mastoola said:

In training do they never play in a scenario against a team when we and they have a player sent off?

I would of thought its a basic training model. To fall apart like we did last night is shocking. 

Yes, at least under Farke we did. There would be a 45 minute 10v11 once a week 

Surely every club from the under 10s upwards trains with 10 men occasionally? But as someone pointed out you need a structure, and this coaching team have none.

However good the excuse was about going down a man, the nature of the goals wasn't relatable to that; it was just bad defending. What the red card did was make Middlesbro more adventurous and it was that we couldn't cope with. If they'd played like that from the start we'd have lost comfortably with 11 men.

I know it's fun and relevant that we still have a chance of finishing 6th but honestly, does anyone see this team getting promoted? Still, it's a bit of a laugh. I hope that if we do scrape 6th that isn't enough to save Wagner's job though - that would be a complete disaster.